Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/226/215 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Not losing weight

So back on low carb it’s been a week and not losing any weight and keto strips not showing and traces. I am pretty confident I don’t take in no more than 20-25 carbs a day...drink only water......

Breakfast 4 eggs, 5 bacon, 2 sausage patties, 1 slice of zero carb ham, 2-3 pieces of cheese, butter, I make an omelette with all this according to labels this is all 8 carbs, no keto snacks, dinner is steak...wings with hot sauce chicken breast fish and the only vegetable I eat is broccoli, I’ll maybe twice since getting back in have had a small bowl of sugar free jello.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 08:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You should stay off the scale for a while and put the keto strips away. Concentrate your effort on checking all the labels for what you are eating -- including sauces -- so that you are sure that you are keeping your carbs in your low carb/keto zone. Give it some time and stick to your carb limits everyday. You won't be fat adapted in a week.

You didn't mention lunch, but what you stated is a whole lot of food. That's what I did when I first started LCHF/Keto back in 2014. I was used to filling my plate with a lot of food. But after some time on my keto plan I naturally wanted to start eating less. 4 eggs, 3 sausages, cheese and 2 slices of bacon became 3 eggs, 2 sausages, cheese and sometimes a slice of bacon. Later on I found myself fully satiated with 2 eggs, 2 sausages and a 1oz of cheese. I know by experience that you can gain weight while keeping the carbs under 20. I'm not telling you to calorie count. What I'm saying is to give keto some time and start listening to your changing satiety. If you are like me, then you won't want to eat so much keto food.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 09:19
Registered Member

BF:

Normally eat breakfast late so if I do have lunch it’s small maybe some lunch meat in a low carb tortilla but not much more maybe some cheese and pepperoni.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 10:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi KP. I generally agree with Ken - you might just have to tighten up on the portions. If your stats are correct, you don't have much weight to lose.

There are lots of different tweaks you can try: eliminating grains (most LC tortillas still contain wheat), longer overnight fasts, cut back on the fat in favour of protein...

Good luck, keep us posted.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:

I’ll try but even after that big breakfast I’m hungry relatively quick and I have only had one of the low carb tortillas this past week so I wouldn’t think that would mess me up it says 5G net carbs it’s loaded with fiber according to label. So when you say more protein less fat you mean more chicken and fish I assume because every other meat has fat.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 12:36

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'd recommend logging everything that goes into your mouth and only eating things that you can weight or that are pre-portioned by nature of the packaging. Commit to doing that for at least two weeks and see where the numbers end up. You might simply be taking in too many calories.

If not, then perhaps just sticking to it for the two weeks needed to collect the data will be enough time for your body to start cooperating and for the loss to show up.

Remember that the scale only tells a very incomplete view of the story. When I was still nearly a hundred pounds heavier than you and was very carefully eating only 700 kcal a day, I had weeks where I gained weight. That did not mean that I wasn't losing fat, just that my body was trying to keep the status quo and was retaining water to compensate. Was it frustrating -- you bet. There were some very choice words coming out of my mouth on many mornings when I stepped on that scale.

If you are careful and deliberate about both what you eat and how much you eat, and have a good record of both, then you can be confident that you ARE losing fat and that, eventually, the scale will reflect it. But without that record, you will always have the doubt that you aren't really losing any fat and that can lead to so much frustration that you give up. Don't let that happen to you.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 12:44

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

1.) Sausage/bacon are processed meats that usually include some form of sugar in the manufacturing process. You can find them without it, but it takes a LOT of looking and very close label reading. (I mean ingredients list, not nutrition label, which is allowed a HUGE margin-of-error). If you're eating these daily, check the labels. If any type of sugar is listed, switch brands to one without. (Bonus if you can find one without added nitrates, as these are a known carcinogen added to almost all processed meats as a preservative.)

2.) You're hungry? Go buy some pork fat. It's cheap, and has nothing added to it. Cook it up like bacon, and then, in the same pan (which is now full of hot pork-grease & crunchy fat bits) quickly fry up some greens. (Turnip, collard, mustard... whatever's available). Sit down & eat a bowl. I promise it'll bust your hunger! (Tastes good, just fills you way faster than you think it will.)

I have never found a "low-carb tortilla" that was *actually* low-carb. Their "net carb" count tends to include things it shouldn't.

With time, and allowing your body to adjust, you'll hit "full" a lot sooner. On LC, I eventually got down to where I only eat 1 full meal/day, because I'm not hungry enough for more.

You didn't get where you are overnight: it took time. Reversing the process will take time, too, but we're in this for the long haul. Patience.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 13:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
1.) Sausage/bacon are processed meats that usually include some form of sugar in the manufacturing process. You can find them without it, but it takes a LOT of looking and very close label reading. (I mean ingredients list, not nutrition label, which is allowed a HUGE margin-of-error). If you're eating these daily, check the labels. If any type of sugar is listed, switch brands to one without. (Bonus if you can find one without added nitrates, as these are a known carcinogen added to almost all processed meats as a preservative.)

2.) You're hungry? Go buy some pork fat. It's cheap, and has nothing added to it. Cook it up like bacon, and then, in the same pan (which is now full of hot pork-grease & crunchy fat bits) quickly fry up some greens. (Turnip, collard, mustard... whatever's available). Sit down & eat a bowl. I promise it'll bust your hunger! (Tastes good, just fills you way faster than you think it will.)

I have never found a "low-carb tortilla" that was *actually* low-carb. Their "net carb" count tends to include things it shouldn't.

With time, and allowing your body to adjust, you'll hit "full" a lot sooner. On LC, I eventually got down to where I only eat 1 full meal/day, because I'm not hungry enough for more.

You didn't get where you are overnight: it took time. Reversing the process will take time, too, but we're in this for the long haul. Patience.

Appreciate the feedback, so the sausage is 1 carb per patty no sugar listed in nutrient label or ingredients, I have 2. The bacon has no carbs but has 1g of sugar for every 2 slices I have 6 so 3 grams of sugar there, the ham has no carbs no sugars listed anywhere, this is all according to the labels and ingredients. Dinner is usually steak, fish, chicken breast or chicken wings, I use frank red hot which has no carbs no sugar. I do use seasonings like lemon pepper at times garlic, salt peppper.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
I'd recommend logging everything that goes into your mouth and only eating things that you can weight or that are pre-portioned by nature of the packaging. Commit to doing that for at least two weeks and see where the numbers end up. You might simply be taking in too many calories.

If not, then perhaps just sticking to it for the two weeks needed to collect the data will be enough time for your body to start cooperating and for the loss to show up.

Remember that the scale only tells a very incomplete view of the story. When I was still nearly a hundred pounds heavier than you and was very carefully eating only 700 kcal a day, I had weeks where I gained weight. That did not mean that I wasn't losing fat, just that my body was trying to keep the status quo and was retaining water to compensate. Was it frustrating -- you bet. There were some very choice words coming out of my mouth on many mornings when I stepped on that scale.

If you are careful and deliberate about both what you eat and how much you eat, and have a good record of both, then you can be confident that you ARE losing fat and that, eventually, the scale will reflect it. But without that record, you will always have the doubt that you aren't really losing any fat and that can lead to so much frustration that you give up. Don't let that happen to you.

I do that based on label info I I'm 99.9% sure I know how carbs I'm taking in a day and its not over 30 and that's even a lot its probably around 20. Once in a while sugar free jello, diet soda but not everyday not even every other day. Now its only been a week since I have been back on but thought I would notice a little something by now and the keto strips so negative.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-21, 23:47

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp33
So back on low carb it’s been a week and not losing any weight and keto strips not showing and traces. I am pretty confident I don’t take in no more than 20-25 carbs a day...drink only water......

Breakfast 4 eggs, 5 bacon, 2 sausage patties, 1 slice of zero carb ham, 2-3 pieces of cheese, butter, I make an omelette with all this according to labels this is all 8 carbs, no keto snacks, dinner is steak...wings with hot sauce chicken breast fish and the only vegetable I eat is broccoli, I’ll maybe twice since getting back in have had a small bowl of sugar free jello.

First thing I'd advise is seriously looking at portion sizes. On keto/low carb/Atkins etc. you don't focus on counting calories like on other diets. Rather, you count carbs. However, calories DO matter, and you can stall results by eating too many calories. I would guess you are eating a larger volume of food than you need. As you become fat adapted (i.e. having a fat burning metabolism rather than a sugar driven one),your appetite will diminish. You will evolve into wanting much LESS food than before, and your hunger will be muted so you'll naturally eat less food after a time.

The better I get with this, I'm finding the less food I "need". I came from a place of eating way more than I ever needed. There is a certain amount of simple science to this....if you don't lose weight, you are taking in more food than your body needs calorically, simple as that.

I noticed you are male, so here's what my son has discovered (he's currently on keto/low carb). He finds it important to track his carbs AND overall calories. When he's not losing, he dials back the calories a bit, and with absolutely no sugar and limited food variety (mostly eggs, limited cheese, meats, and salads) the weight starts to drop again at a pretty steady clip. Doing this, he went from a high of about 290 to his current weight of 196, with an end goal of about 190. (He's 6'3"). He says he gets bored eating the same foods all the time, but it works great for him and he likes the fairly quick and consistent results so it's worth it. He never wants to be overweight again.

Last edited by CMCM : Wed, May-19-21 at 23:57.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you are hungry "relatively quickly" after a big fatty breakfast, it doesn’t seem that the high fat version of "keto" is working for you any longer. I agree with Kristine about eating more protein, less fat, less fatty processed foods, and maybe even add more whole food carbs (vegetables) to help hunger. Check out Dr Ted Naiman, interviews with him, including on DietDoctor, are everywhere now. As he said recently in a podcast about satiety, eat a salad the size of your head with a pound of lean (90%) beef…you won’t be hungry.

The whole long thread is here: picking up at start of 2021: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...30&page=7&pp=15

https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Dr%20...aiman%20&st=any

His P:E diet book is very good, I have the Kindle app version for $20, but here's a shorter weight loss diet summary. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/

Eating a lot of fat works until it doesn't…many low carb keto followers lose dramatic weight until it stops far short of goal. That appears your situation.

Keto Lie #11: You should ‘eat fat to satiety’ to lose body fat https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...fat/#more-22893

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-20-21 at 04:57.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 05:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you are hungry "relatively quickly" after a big fatty breakfast, it doesn’t seem that the high fat version of "keto" is working for you any longer. I agree with Kristine about eating more protein, less fat, less fatty processed foods, and maybe even add more whole food carbs (vegetables) to help hunger. Check out Dr Ted Naiman, interviews with him, including on DietDoctor, are everywhere now. As he said recently in a podcast about satiety, eat a salad the size of your head with a pound of lean (90%) beef…you won’t be hungry.

The whole long thread is here: picking up at start of 2021: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...30&page=7&pp=15

https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Dr%20...aiman%20&st=any

His P:E diet book is very good, I have the Kindle app version for $20, but here's a shorter weight loss diet summary. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/

Eating a lot of fat works until it doesn't…many low carb keto followers lose dramatic weight until it stops far short of goal. That appears your situation.

Keto Lie #11: You should ‘eat fat to satiety’ to lose body fat https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...fat/#more-22893

So besides chicken breast and fish what is high in protein not much fat and low in carbs? The other main meats I eat are steak and chicken wings and chicken thighs, I don’t really have any other type of meats. So your also saying cut out the bacon saiusage and ham then what do I eat for breakfast I’d have to eat 12 eggs to be filled haha. And I appreciate all the comments but trust me my carb count is under 30 a day no doubt and probably more like under 20. Example here is what I has yesterday

Breakfast, 5 bacon, 2 sausage, 1 2oz pice of hame, 2 slices of Swiss, 4 eggs...according to labels of all the foods that’s 8 carbs.

Later in the day.... pepperoni. 2 slices of Swiss, half a dill pickle 3 thin slices of ham.

That’s it for the entire day nothing but water to drink.

The breakfast is also what I have the later meal changes the night before I had 2 pieces of talapia and some broccoli with melted mozzarella. No snacks nothing but water.

The night before same breakfast, dinner was steak and 6 pieces of shrimp

The night before that same breakfast and 10 chicken wings with franks red hot Buffalo sauce.

I feel I’m doing what I need and nothing. Keto strips keep reading negative as well. At least if I wasn’t losing but the strips said I was in ketosis I’d be a bit happier.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 06:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You only have to increase protein and lower fat somewhat to improve satiety. I use purchased rotisserie chicken, thighs, breast meat, with some of the tasty skin, not all of it. Any of the leaner meat cuts..there are plenty to choose from. Flank steak, the 90% ground beef (which is still over 50% Fat). My first meal is often 2 whole eggs for the nutrients, plus any amount of egg whites to add protein for satiety, with spinach or other greens. Also leftovers from dinner... a large serving of a chicken or shrimp stir-fry purposedly made for extra meals. I don't limit carbs below 20g but follow a plan closer to the New Atkins 2010 whole food net carbs. Many more vegetables, but no fake sugar or fibers to sell net LC Magic Bars.

Here are more ideas: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 06:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You only have to increase protein and lower fat somewhat to improve satiety. I use purchased rotisserie chicken, thighs, breast meat, with some of the tasty skin, not all of it. Any of the leaner meat cuts..there are plenty to choose from. Flank steak, the 90% ground beef (which is still over 50% Fat). My first meal is often 2 whole eggs for the nutrients, plus any amount of egg whites to add protein for satiety, with spinach or other greens. Also leftovers from dinner... a large serving of a chicken or shrimp stir-fry purposedly made for extra meals. I don't limit carbs below 20g but follow a plan closer to the New Atkins 2010 whole food net carbs. Many more vegetables, but no fake sugar or fibers to sell net LC Magic Bars.

Here are more ideas: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html.

I definitely do not do the Atkins snacks or anything like that what I posted above is what I do once in a while sugar free jello maybe a diet soda here and there but other than that what you see I posted above is what I do.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-20-21, 07:56

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

When people suggest dealing with total calories and portion sizes, you keep coming back and talking only about your carb counts. If you eat 5000 kcal a day but only have 10 g of carbs, don't be surprised if you gain weight. Even Atkins stated that in his books.

When I started LC again on New Years my plan was to just stick to very low carb foods and not track portions or calories. Breakfast was usually three eggs and four strips of bacon. Lunch was typically a large helping of tuna salad on a cup of lettuce. Dinner was usually a good size steak with some asparagus. Normally when I go low carb I lose between ten and twenty pounds in the first couple of weeks due to the shift in water balance. In the first week I lost 8.5 lb and so figured I was right on track. Then in the second week I gained 3.5 lb of it back. What the heck? Then lost in the next week and gained in the week after that. The end result was that at the end of a month I had lost less weight than I usually did in just the first couple of weeks due to the water balance shift.

So I decided to start tracking my food and restricting the calories. At first I was shooting for a 1000 kcal to 1200 kcal range and it was really driven home how much less food that was than what I was eating before. I never did try to figure out how many calories I was eating before because I didn't track portions, so that would be difficult to do, but it was WAY more. At first I was hungry, but that quickly went away and I moved my target down to 700 kcal and had quite a few days where I had a hard time forcing myself to eat even that much. I have several <500 kcal days in the log and one that is 206 kcal.

In February I lost 19 pounds and assumed that I had this all figured out. But in March I lost less than ten pounds. I had evidently taken my calories too low and my body was fighting back. So I've since increased that somewhat. I'm now at 900 kcal plus half of whatever I burned in exercise the day before, so it varies between 900 kcal and about 1300 kcal. That is working very well for me and I'm losing about 10 lb to 13 lb a month with no true hunger and only occasional times that I have the desire to eat beyond my allowance.

Another thing that I changed was my sodium intake. In January I didn't care, since I wasn't tracking anything, but in Feb and March I held my sodium to under 2300 mg a day. After doing some research, I took that up to about 5000 mg a day and my weight loss picked up. More importantly, my blood pressure dropped significantly, just as predicted by what I had read, and my insulin dosage dropped a bit, too.

Finally, watch out for making the assumption that getting bacon without added nitrates/nitrites is the way to go. Nearly all such products use celery juice instead, which is loaded with nitrites. When they measure the nitrites in "naturally" cured bacon it almost always comes out significantly higher than in bacon with added sodium nitrate.