Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 14:48
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%
Default Eat Like A Bear

Has anyone heard of this or tried this? It seems more or less like IF with one large low-carb meal per day, usually a large salad with some protein and fat.

https://eatlikeabear.com/

My sister lost 40 pounds doing this, but I'm unsure if it would be successful with my current lifestyle. I have a pretty active job and worry about getting ill if I don't consume anything but water or black coffee from the time I get up until I get home from work around lunchtime. Maybe the idea of IF is just intimidating?

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 03:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Eh... her site seems kind of gimmicky, but hey, whatever works.
Quote:
Maybe the idea of IF is just intimidating?
It could be. I thought it sounded daunting at first. One of the main reasons it works for me, though, is that I'm plagued with after-meal tiredness. Doesn't matter if I did or didn't sleep well, whether I'm at work or home, or the carb content of my food. I'm also prone to "eating makes me hungrier" syndrome. So it works best for me to delay my first meal until I'm genuinely hungry (or my lunch break if I'm at work), and/or close to nap/bed time.

My important caveat is that I'm never forcing myself to do this: if I feel like crap, possibly hypoglycemic, or just plain starving, I'm free to eat. Even at work, I can stop for a quick break and grab some cheese and bacon or something. It's never forced; the IF cops aren't going to come after me. I don't ever see myself forcing it unless I was trying therapeutic fasting for pain or illness.

HTH.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 03:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The combination of IF and low carb, especially a nutrient dense meal with salad, has been very popular for a long while. Just about every eating window within 24 hours has fans. A five hour window is based on Dr Bert Herring's book The Fast-5 Diet. 6 and 8 hour eating windows are very popular, too many books to list. The Gin Stephens, Fast, Feast, Repeat book, is another group that requires a "clean fast" of only water or black coffee/tea during the fasting period. Many of her group are OMAD. (One meal within 1 hour, or 1 snack then 1 meal in 4 hours). I fast using a little filtered milk and Sweetener (less than 50 cal.) and don’t have a problem, but her millions of followers swear a clean fast is magic. I'm not convinced it’s necessary. There are other threads in this sub-forum on IF, check some of the popular methods, and then you could design your own early time restricted eating to fit your working hours.

Edit, agree with Kristine about a gimmicky website, esp her claim of only free site to help x woman lose over 100 pounds. The women lost the weight, and that's great, but many other free FB groups have success stories as well.

Here's the earlier thread about IF and recommendations from members:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484802

Ps:I have done OMAD in the past, but this year while focusing on higher protein and nutrient density, I am eating two meals in 6 hours. It is just hard to get enough protein into OMAD.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-30-21 at 03:54.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 09:38

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Jey, how much protein do you get, in a day? I've calculated mine, but it seems way too low. The most recent one I've used calls for an upper-range amount of 4.13 oz. Maybe I'm conflating the weight of the food with the oz of protein in it. Still, with a simple steak or beef patty, that doesn't sound to be that far off.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 14:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I use Grams of Protein, so a 4 oz filet of beef tenderloin has 35 grams of protein, protein is 60% and fat 40% by calorie, with total calories of 231.

During the last NO class, 6 weeks long where I obsessively tracked my food, I averaged per day 110 grams of protein, 32 g net carbs and 45 g fat, total calories 1046. Everyone freaks out about high protein thinking you have to eat more in grams, but it is really more protein in Percent. That is 42% protein which gives high satiety, and allows me to lower fat, carbs and calories without hunger.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 22:48

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Yes, I'm shooting for about 110 grams as well. I'm just kind of comparing notes. with people. Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 09:57

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
I have a pretty active job and worry about getting ill if I don't consume anything but water or black coffee from the time I get up until I get home from work around lunchtime.

I want to address just this line.

Hi! I'm Literate Griffin, and I'm (at 50) an Amazon warehouse worker. I work 10-hour shifts, and I've been at the job over a year... before which I was LC, but pretty much sedentary.

When I first started working, just 5-hour shifts, I was ravenous when I got off work. There was no limit to the amount I could eat. My 13-year-old daughter said, "You need to make fat-bombs", and she was right. Literally ate 3 or 4, and that was it. No more "winter-bear" syndrome when I got off work. Not 3 or 4 per day... just 3 or 4, and it fixed the issue.

When I went full-time, I'd been working there 4 months, my body had more-or-less adjusted to the workload, but now I had breaks & lunch. I packed lunch & snacks, and ate at each of my 3 breaks.

Thing is? Eventually some of that turned out to be "learned hunger". Because as I re-introduced IF (something I'd done before I started the warehouse job), I found that some days, if I didn't have anything in the house to pack for lunch? I could literally get through a physically demanding 10-hour shift on 2 large Slim-Jims. (They're sold in or break area.... about the only thing they have I can eat.)

My advice, coming from my experience? Experiment. Skip eating on your first break & see how you feel. If you're starving by "lunch" (which, for me means 8am), then eat your lunch and your "first-break" food. Then see how you feel by last break... do you need to eat, or can you wait until you get off?

Have the food with you. But see how you do, paring down. With your job/schedule, it might be hard to follow the specific advice meant for people who don't wake up until you've been at work several hours. ("Don't eat before noon.", for example.... Yeah, I've been up for over 12 hours by then, have walked around 9 miles & am looking at going to bed in a couple hours!) But you can probably manage a (modified to your schedule) version better than you think, if you baby-step it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 10:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have more energy at work if I don't eat much there. A couple of ounces of cheese, otherwise I tend to get sleepy. I'm bipolar and socially anxious. If I'm tired and can't just nap or veg out watching netflix or youtube, I tend to get depressed. Depressed and anxious in a busy kitchen during dinner rush after my break doesn't really work. I find eating most of my calories at breakfast doesn't make me tired like it would later in the day.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 13:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Depending on the time of year, bears can eat mostly carbs. I was once hiking above tree line in the Rockies when I came across a steaming pile of grizzly scat that was 95% raspberry seeds. At other times there have been black bears that got drunk gorging on fallen/fermented apples. LC IF is a clearer way of saying how she eats, but not as catchy/gimmicky.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 13:25

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Humans are not bears and it's ridiculous to think that eating like an animal that hibernates for half the year without eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating is appropriate for us. Their bodies are capable of recycling their waste products. For instance, urea is broken down and the nitrogen is used to build protein, which is why they are able to wake up with the same muscle mass and without damaged organs. To think that a diet or dietary habits/patterns that are suitable for this kind of animal in any indicates that it is applicable to humans is absurd.