Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 00:54

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 250/235/200
BF:
Progress: 30%
Angry Lynne's chocolate

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/dessert120.html

AGH! Okay, either I did something HORRIBLY wrong or this is the worst low-carb recipe EVER! This low-carb chocolate was not just inferior to normal chocolate, it actually made me retch. I just tasted a little off the spoon and I still feel physically ill.
I tried saving it with extra cream, then extra vanilla, then extra Splenda--this helped, but not much.
I then tried making another batch without the maple extract, and it was slightly better, but dear god is it still awful!
The only things I can think of that I did wrong were: I melted the butter (yes, real butter) into the chocolate after the chocolate was half-melted, and the creme was a bit cooler than room temperature. I don't see hoe either of these could cause chocolate to become the WORST thing I can remember tasting.
Seriously, I took a nibble of the plain, unsweetened chocolate before I began (don't try it, it's terrible), and it actually tasted better plain than after mixing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

That recipe is a much-tweaked version of the original (pre-Splenda) recipe by Lynne Axiak.

One of the things I've noticed when working with Splenda (for starters on your problem) is that it simply doesn't dissolve without some water... so melting it into a chocolate butter mix usually doesn't work too well. I've stirred it into the pre-warmed cream, then added the vanilla to that mix.

Another thing that actually matters is that the chocolate, the butter and the cream be approximately the same temp and that one doesn't stir too vigorously.

Try again, leave off all the options, with just the chocolate, butter, cream, vanilla and sweetener. It actually takes practice to work with chocolate. Really.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 19:12

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 250/235/200
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Thanks

I'll give that a try. Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 14:04

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Try this one it IS Good

Go to the thread I have listed and try this it is good. I changed it a bit though. First you should really kind of try to warm your cream cheese in the microwave a bit first as it will blend better with the melted butter and chocolate. I also used the splenda by the spoonful that is equivalent to sugar rather then the packets as I did not like it much the first time. In doing so then, I used 12 teaspoons of splenda and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar twin and it was very good.

I have made it twice, the second time was with my changes above and it is yummy. I only eat a tiny bite at a time and I just butter a tiny, tiny little pan to bake it in.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=toblerone

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178/140
BF:
Progress: 24%

This recipe is very similar to what I make when I'm dying for chocolate.

I use unsweetened cocoa (about 1 Tbsp.), cream (an ounce or two) and Splenda (roughly a packet per ounce of cream)-- once I added cream cheese and butter to this and it tasted horrible -- the next time, I added another couple of packets of Splenda to it and a little less cream cheese, and it was wonderful.