Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-24, 09:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The American Get-Diabetes Association

I've been following this ADA post on Twitter the past few days and Nina Teicholz has written a good summary of what has happened so far. I have participated in similar comments over the years to change the ADA approach to diets, at least acknowledge that LC can be an option. After the 2019 Consenus report and the ADA CEO using LC, I thought there would be change, alas, not.

https://unsettledscience.substack.c...es-association?

Quote:
Twitter (X) has gone wild in recent days about a video–now viral at 1.9M views–by the new Director of Nutrition & Wellness at the American Diabetes Association (ADA), Stacey Krawczyk, employing a treacly, first-grade-teacher voice to explain how to fill up a 9” plate with green veggies (½ the plate), lean proteins (¼) and the remaining ¼ as “starchy vegetables, rice, pasta, bread.” This last category of carb-rich foods elicited 282 feisty comments, 100% negative. Quite a few wondered the obvious: why tell diabetics to eat starches (carbohydrates) when one could well define diabetes as simply a condition of carbohydrate intolerance? One commenter suggested adding a Coke to complete the meal.

Video, links to comments, push-back from low-carbs at SubStack
Quote:
Apparently fed up with the extensive push-back, the ADA shut down open comments after two days (enjoy them here). Stacey’s previous jobs include seven years as a “business partner” and senior manager in nutrition at the Kellogg Company.

In this 2018 video, she gives a talk to young women on how to be healthy and then has a few volunteers come forward to help her promote Kellogg’s Special K. Telling a diabetic to eat carbohydrates and ‘cover” them with insulin is like advising someone with a nut allergy to eat nuts with an Epipen nearby. It works, but is it the best option?

Insulin causes weight gain and ever-worsening diabetes, leading to such conditions as blindness, limb amputation, kidney failure, heart disease and death six years earlier than non-diabetic peers. By contrast, restricting carbohydrates has been shown in clinical trials to reverse the disease within weeks. The ADA must know these facts as well as anyone. It has long recognized low average blood sugars (glycemic control) as a crucial factor in treating diabetes, and its 2019 consensus report concluded that “[r]educing overall carbohydrate intake for individuals with diabetes has demonstrated the most evidence for improving glycemia [blood sugar control].” Ergo, per the ADA, carbohydrate reduction should be the first-and-best course of action.

In fact, the last CEO of the ADA, Tracey Brown, once explained in an interview how she herself had reversed her type 2 diabetes with a low-carbohydrate diet. Then, she was told by her board never to talk about the subject again (here’s her hostage-like retraction video).

The ADA’s current nutrition course includes no mention of low-carbohydrate diets, according to a student who recently attended. Why the ADA instead persists in telling people with diabetes to consume carbohydrates at every meal, including apple crisp with oats and packed brown sugar, may be related to the entities that fund them: the ADA receives more than $1 million yearly from each of the world’s top insulin manufacturers, including Lilly, Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi. (These are in the ADA donor “Banting circle elite,” a more-than ironic use of the Banting name. While Frederick Banting may have shared the Nobel Prize for discovering insulin, William Banting was, in the 1860s, the Atkins of his day, with a hugely popular diet booklet on how to lose weight by restricting carbs.)

Judging from the level of outrage on X, we’re thinking it’s time to start the non-corrupt American Diabetes Association. Anyone? See you in the comments.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-22-24 at 11:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-24, 04:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

How encouraging. People with personal indignation about the poor advice make persuasive arguments.

Nina's recc of Toxic Superfoods made me get the book, which has been extremely helpful. She's tops. But I appreciate you highlighting such significant articles, JEY. Because then I read them!

I also think a lot of people know junk food is the problem... but don't want to acknowledge it. And it's stress-triggered, when we all make bad decisions. But to remain mired in their carby passions, they block cognitive dissonance, over and over.

THAT wastes time and doesn't even help. I made great strides healing my gut and anxiety issues with actual nutrition. But I had to accept that treats are not harmless.

If that's your main coping strategy, your own brain will tell you otherwise.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-24, 11:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'd be more inclined to call it the "Keep-Making-Diabetes-Worse-Until-It-Kills-You Association"

That's a little too wordy though.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-24, 11:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The ADA has double-downed on its recent Plate video, and so has Nina Teicholz.
Quote:
After 2.6M views, the ~AmDiabetesAssn defends itself, claiming carbs are essential. Incorrect. A v. small amount is needed for brain/eye function, but this glucose can be made from protein via gluconeogenesis. The human requirement for carb consumption is zero.

ADA, your own 2019 consensus report stated that carb reduction had the "most evidence" for controlling blood sugar-->key for combatting diabetes.
You know the science. Please act on it. diabetesjournals.org/care/article/4…