Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:48

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%
Lightbulb Fat Fast Anyone?

Hi....I'm starting the Fat Fast today and I just wanted to know if anyone has any advise, comments, experiences they'd like to share.
I've been doing Atkins faithfully since early December. I haven't cheated (knowingly) once and I've been working out and drinking TONS of water. I've lost about 22 pounds, but as much as I work out and as good as I eat I really believe that I should be down more and seeing results! So far I can't tell. People ask me all the time how my 'diet' is going and I'm thinking "you can't tell?!?!"
SO I decided to take drastic measures and try the Fat Fast for 2-3 days. This is day 1 and so far so good. I had lots of extra time this morning because I didn't have to get my b-fast and lunch all together...so that's one plus.
But I just wanted some advice......
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hi, so a search in the tips and stalls sections. There are many threads dedicated to fat fasts.. and people's experiences on them!
Make sure you find more than just the threads of people telling other people NOT to do the fat fasts....because there is actually a lot of good information in there.

good luck!
Meg
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:53
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I have never done the fat fast but am interested in how it works for you.PLease stop by my journal and let me know your progress, symptoms etc..Thank you and best of luck.
Angel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Sybs, Good Luck with your fat fast...hope you do well...let us know how it goes....I am being annoying here but you mention that you never knowingly cheated........ .......then you need to change your signature week three LOL

Sorry I couldn't resist!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You might also do a search in Doreen's journal, she has done the fat fast and has a lot of information there on how to do it, how she feels doing it, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 27%

I did my research.. I dont know if I want to do it myself though.. heres an article

Life In The Low Carb Lane

By Di Bauer, CarbSmart Editor

Posted 3/9/2002

The Fat Fast, as outlined by Dr. Atkins in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, is a tool that low carbers who are metabolically resistant can use to get themselves quickly into ketosis. It is also used by many low carbers (myself among them) to break a weight loss plateau or as a means of forcing themselves to get back on track when they have gone off-plan.

Simply put, the Fat Fast consists of a 3 or 5-day cycle in which you consume just 1,000 calories a day. 90% of those calories should come from fat. (The Fat Fast should not be extended beyond 5 days because it is deficient in protein.)

Dr. Atkins states that eating 4 or 5 mini-meals is better for our bodies than eating one large meal while doing the Fat Fast. During the Fat Fast you may consume either 4 250-calorie mini-meals or 5 200-calorie mini-meals. Consuming these small meals frequently throughout the day actually works better than complete fasting.

Dr. Atkins mentions cream cheese and macadamia nuts as the "perfect" Fat Fast foods. Ten ounces of cream cheese would be an entire day's food allotment; divide the cream cheese into 5 2-ounce servings. You could also opt for 5 ounces of macadamia nuts split into 5 1-ounce servings and consumed throughout the day.

That's not a lot of food. I find that when I do the Fat Fast I think about food constantly. I don't obsess about food because I get hungry (surprisingly, I do not get hungry), but simply because I can't have any - at least not any that I really want. The Fat Fast makes regular strict low carbing look absolutely luxurious.

I'm going to be completely honest here: I hate, loathe, and detest doing the Fat Fast. I get very grumpy because I get frustrated. My family says that I don't, but that just makes me think that they don't notice the difference because maybe, just maybe, I'm a pretty grumpy person all the time. It's either that or the kids are ignoring me in the same way they do when I tell them to clean their rooms or do their homework. Or perhaps they simply value their lives and know when to keep their mouths shut. The survival instinct is very strong in my brood.

(***Note: "But I was doing the Fat Fast!" is not a legitimate legal defense for mayhem or murder. I know this is true. I've checked.)

OK, I know what you want to ask me: "If the Fat Fast is so incredibly awful, why do you do it, you stupid woman?!?" (Well, you might not say the "stupid woman" part because you are ever so polite, but I know you're thinking it.)

Why? Because it works for me. If I am not in ketosis when I start the Fat Fast, I am when it's over. If I am having cravings to beat the band and hanging on by the skin of my teeth, when the Fat Fast is over the cravings are G - O - N - E and I'm perfectly happy to go back to munching on chicken legs and salads. If I've hit a plateau and stopped losing weight, my weight loss is jump started.

I've done the Fat Fast a half a dozen times in the last three years, and each time I have lost between 5 and 8 pounds during the three-day cycle. After I go back to eating normal low carb, I gain 2 to 4 of those pounds back, but have always ended up with a net loss for the 3-day period of between 2 to 4 pounds. (Your experience may be different from mine. The only way to find out for sure is to try it.)

Of course, a lot of people don't even consider doing the Fat Fast to get into ketosis or to break a stall because they can't stand the idea of subsisting on plain cream cheese and/or macadamia nuts for 3 days. I don't know about you, but I would be more likely to be able to cut off my big toe with a dull paring knife than I would be able to gag down 10 ounces of plain cream cheese. My throat closes up at the very thought. And I don't particularly like macadamia nuts, either.

Well, I don't have to choke down plain cream cheese or eat macadamia nuts, thank goodness. You don't, either. Dr. Atkins lists several alternatives in his chapter on the Fat Fast, and although caviar and avocados don't appeal to me, you may very well like them.

I have also developed a list of alternative food choices for the Fat Fast, which I've listed below. Some of them don't quite come up to the "90% of the calories from fat" parameter, but they come close enough and have worked for me.

Fat Fast Ideas And Recipes

There is one further plus to the Fast Fast which I haven't mentioned. There is very little food preparation involved. None of the ideas or recipes listed below will take you more than 5 minutes to prepare.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream in a large mug of coffee (I use this to jump start my day and prevent abuse of those near and sometimes dear to me. In the summer I make it the night before and put it in the refrigerator, then pour it over ice. You could also pour it into popsicle molds and freeze it for Coffee Fat Fasticles. Yum!)

4 strips of bacon

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese
1 ounce cream cheese
1 tablespoon sugar free peanut butter
1 tablespoon heavy or whipping cream
10 drops Liquid Sweet & Low (or artificial sweetener of your choice)
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Blend all ingredients in a small bowl.

Serves 1. Approximately 208 calories.

***Note: If you life this one, make up several servings at one time and stick them into the refrigerator in custard cups for individual servings. That way you only have one cleanup.

2 ounces of cream cheese stuffed in one large celery stalk

1/2 pork rinds with 2 ounces of sour cream

Pork Rinds With Sour Cream Dip (This is not my recipe - Judi (Island Girl) forwarded it to me.)
1/2 ounce plain pork rinds (1/6 of 3-ounce bag)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Blend parmesan into sour cream and use as dip for pork rinds

Without Parmesan: 164 calories, 8 grams fat (79%)

With Parmesan: 187 calories, 15 grams fat (77%)

2 tablespoons of sugar free peanut butter on an approximately 7 1/2-inch stalk of celery.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped, sweetened with artificial sweetener, and flavored with vanilla or some other extract.

2 ounces of sour cream on approximately 1/2 cup sliced cucumber.

Tuna or chicken salad with triple the usually amount of mayonnaise.

I cook the bejeebers out of a whole chicken in the crockpot until the meat is literally falling off the bones, then shred the meat and save it for chicken salad or for soups. I strain the broth carefully (watch for small bones!) and freeze it.

I will usually reuse the broth to cook more than one chicken, which results in a superb, flavorful extra-strength broth which is great to sip on if you're sick.

2 egg yolks mashed up with lots of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper (like you would for deviled eggs), but eaten plain or with a few pork rinds, cucumber slices, or a celery stick

Peanut Butter Pudding (This is Rani Merens' recipe.)
2 tablespoons of sour cream
1 teaspoon sugar free peanut butter
Splenda (to taste)
Combine all the ingredients. This thickens up magnificently, and can either be eaten "as is" or partially frozen, but don't let it get rock hard unless you just want to suck on it.

***Note: If you life this one, make up several servings at one time and stick them into the refrigerator in custard cups for individual servings. That way you only have one cleanup.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream in a can of diet soda (any flavor)

1/2 package sugar free Jell-O in 1/2 cup whipped heavy or whipping cream

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped, with 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder and a few drops of liquid artificial sweetener added (to taste).

Jell-O Whip (Someone named Chris sent this to me a couple of years ago.)
1 small package sugar free Jell-O (any flavor)
1/2 cup boiling water
4 ice cubes
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature and cut into cubes
4 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
Dissolve the Jell-O completely in the boiling water, then add the ice cubes to cool it down and to thicken it.

When the ice cubes are melted, pour the gelatin mixture in the blender and add the cutup cream cheese. Whirl it around until the ingredients are completely blended. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl.

Whip the four ounces of cream, then fold it into the cream cheese mixture.

Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions, cover each with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to chill.

This makes 5 servings, or all the you need for one day of the Fat Fast. Of course, you wouldn't have to eat all 5 servings in one day. You could alternate them with other food choices.

Cream Cheese Jell-O Chunks (Someone sent me this idea, too, but I've misplaced their name).

10 ounces cream cheese, cut into 20 equal squares (Not softened!) 1 small packet sugar free Jell-O, any flavor

Pour the dry gelatin powder into a small bowl or onto a salad plate. Set aside.

Roll the 20 cream cheese squares into balls. Roll each ball in the dry gelatin mixture. Place the coated balls on a plate, cover them with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat them

Each Fat Fast serving is 4 balls.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

to break up monotony you can also have a small salad of romaine lettuce, a hard boiled egg or a tiny bit of bacon, and your own dressing of oil and red wine vinegar. Sprinkle with parmesan.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:16

BF:

Thanks for all the advice...I will admit to cheating, but when I cheat it's all LC stuff....like a bag of LC chocolates (which I pay for dearly ;o)

The article was great! SO far I've had 2 'meals'. Mac nuts at 6:45 am and the tuna/mayo thing at 9:00 am. I wasn't hungry at 9am, I was more bored (work is killing me!) I've also had some tea and sugarfree gum (1 piece) and now I'm getting slight hunger pangs. I'll finish this though. I might go get some bacon from the cafe at my 12 pm 'meal'. But so far so good!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You're almost already to goal, you probably aren't metobolically resistant.

I tried the fat fast once when I wasn't losing. I kept it up for 5 days, until I was so sick I had to stop. I did lose 5 pounds, but as soon as I went back to induction eating it all came back. I stuck to a lcean induction for a week, and the weight plus some came off. I learned my lesson and found that KISS works better then the fat fast, is healthier, and has lasting results.

I'd recomend trying to do KISS cutting out all LC treats, dairy, and so on. That may help
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 12:39

BF:

I'll check into KISS, I;ve seen it around, but I have no clue as to what it is. People have recommened it to me, but I've been lax in my research. Thanks though!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 12:43

BF:

can you tell me where I can find the KISS thing? I've searched this site and haven;t found anything dedicated to KISS. Is this Atkins? Or just an LC WOL?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

KISs is basically keep it simple. You cut out any LC treats or sweet foods. You also eliminate dairy and some cut out the caffine too. Basically you stick to meats (including eggs) cooked however you want, just no sauces. Also try to avoid processed meats. It's the ATkins induciton list, just the meat and veggie section mostly. Plenty of low carb veggies and of course fat. Try to get your fat to stick up around 70% (oils can really help when you cut out dairy). If you odn't want to go full KISS, you can modify, maybe just cutting out all LC things and limiting dairy.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Here is info on KISS....good luck...it does work...

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/irock/kiss_rules.html
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 17:03

Plan: lc plan
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 0'0
BF:
Progress: 86%

I fat fasted last summer. i didn't cheat, i was on it for five days and didn't lose anything, not an inch, not a pound, nothing! and it didn't boost my weight loss when i went back onto my regular lc'ing. i ate the servings of cream cheese, drank cream occasionally, did the egg yolk and mayo (which wasn't a great idea. i have a slight egg allergy and eating those really made me sick so i had to cut them out). also i had macademia nuts, uhm...that seems like all. i tried to block it from my memory i guess :-). i don't think i would do it again.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:56

BF:

Well I did my first day...semi-successfully. I had a headache most of the day I suppose due to all the rest of my carbs leaving my body. I got the same headache when I first start Atkins....a dull lingering ache. But I'm better now. I did cheat a bit, did really good all day, but late last nite I had some sausage at Cracker Barrel...2 patties. But I did a ketosis check this morning and I'm in DEEP purple. Never been here before! But then I weighed and I'm still at 190! I thought for sure I'd be at 180 At least 189. So I'm going at it again today, just had my mac nuts for b-fast and praying for progress. By this sunday I'd really like to be at 188. I'll keep ya'll posted...