Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 16:35

Plan: Aikens
Stats: 287/258/130
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Finding No/Low Carb food around Toronto Canada

I live just East of Toronto. I am new to Aikens Low Carbing, but so far so good. I have a lottttt to lose (well over 100), but so far 27 lbs, buy really trying to watch what I eat and I joined Sisters (a 30 minute workout) which I love. I try to go there a minimum of 30 minutes per week.
My question is, other than the Aiken's bars, raspberry and maple syrup, and Aikens bake mix, what else is out there. I read the finds above, but they are all in the U.S.
Has anyone found any good no/low carb' items to add to their pantry? Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Melodie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 17:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello from around the lake in St Catharines!

Low-carb products? Other than vegetables and meat , nothing. In a way, I think that's a blessing. I think there's going to be a trend with low-carb products the way there was a trend with low-fat products: the idea is to eat whole foods, but then the companies start churning out products that are low-fat/low-carb, and they're really not good for you.

Bulk Barn is a good place to find supplements at a good price, as well as low carb stuff like pork rinds, soy flour, and nut butters. I haven't done a lot of low carb baking with that kind of stuff, but I've seen the ingredients at BB.

But you're right, most of the nifty products are only available from the U.$. Big time expensive! I'd love to try the Flax-o-meal cereal and the La Tortilla low-carb tortillas if they're ever available cheap here in Canada.

Maybe you could take a drive to Buffalo?

If you want to order stuff online, there are some websites mentioned in this thread. HTH.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Try this, The ultimate low carb resourse page.
Lists all the Canadian Low carb order sites.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all
check out this site located in TO!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfooddepot.ca/
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 21:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20

I keep hoping some grocery chain will create their own Low Carb line - maybe Loblaws will develop (for our dear Dr. Atkins, only respect intended!), Memories of Atkins. I guess the profits are not large enough - yet!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 15:27

Stats: 185/170/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

There is a low carb grocery store on Yonge St. It's called The Low Carb Grocery Store. Just north of Lawrence. Prices are not bad.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/138/130 Female 155 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hey Squirt...prices at Lo-Carb Grocery are nuts...BUT they do have stuff that is impossible to find...

Melody....you are better off not to buy a lot of the low carb/no carb stuff. Be aware that there are alot of things out there that are low carb/no carb and have always been that way, now seeing as the carb craze has hit so huge, the manufacturers are splashing LOW NO CARB buzz phrase on their products that have always been No Carb and charging you more....you should pick up on of Dr, Atkins shopping guides, they fit in your purse and I find it pretty helpful when I a grocery shopping.

Good luck Sister!

Lucia
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 09:40

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

I was in the Vic Park Market Loblaws, and they have a shelf at the end of an aisle of Atkins stuff, like muffin mixes, pancake mixes, etc.

I do agree with Kristine, don't buy too much of the mixes, that's not really what the Doctor ordered...

M