Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 13:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Doesnt' work? Keep trying anyways

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81113171335.htm

Quote:
During the holiday season, it can be difficult for even the most determined of us to stick to a healthy diet. A piece of Halloween candy here, a pumpkin spice latte there, and suddenly we're left feeling like we forgot what vegetables taste like.

Our weight isn't the only aspect of our health that can fluctuate during times like these. According to a new article in the journal Nutrients, risk factors for cardiovascular disease closely track with changes in eating patterns, even only after a month or so.

"If you're inconsistent about what kinds of foods you eat, your risk factors for developing these diseases are going to fluctuate," said Wayne Campbell, a professor of nutrition science at Purdue University. "Even in the short term, your food choices influence whether you're going to have a successful or unsuccessful visit with your doctor."

Diet failure isn't an anomaly, it's the norm, and there are a variety of reasons for that. This can lead to repetitive attempts of adopting, but not maintaining, healthy eating patterns.

To assess how these diet fluctuations affect risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease, such as blood pressure and cholesterol, Campbell's team looked to two previous studies (also led by Campbell at Purdue). The research study participants adopted either a DASH-style eating pattern (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) or a Mediterranean-style eating pattern.

"Our DASH-style eating pattern focused on controlling sodium intake, while our Mediterranean-style focused on increasing healthy fats," said Lauren O'Connor, the lead author of the paper. "Both eating patterns were rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains."

Participants adopted a healthy eating pattern for five or six weeks and then had their risk factors measured. The study participants then returned to their normal eating patterns for four weeks and came back for a checkup. After adopting a healthy eating pattern again for another five or six weeks, participants had their risk factors assessed one last time.

The results look almost exactly as you'd expect: like a cardiovascular rollercoaster. How fast the participants' health started to improve after adopting a healthier diet is impressive, though. It only takes a few weeks of healthy eating to generate lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

"These findings should encourage people to try again if they fail at their first attempt to adopt a healthy eating pattern," Campbell said. "It seems that your body isn't going to become resistant to the health-promoting effects of this diet pattern just because you tried it and weren't successful the first time. The best option is to keep the healthy pattern going, but if you slip up, try again."

The long-term effects of adopting and abandoning healthy eating patterns on cardiovascular disease are unknown. Research on weight cycling suggests that when people who are overweight repeatedly attempt to lose weight, quit, and try again, that may be more damaging to their long-term health than if they maintained a steady weight. To know if long-term health effects of cycling between eating patterns raise similar concerns, further studies are needed.

I think there is a reasonable point to be made in that failure doesn't mean you shouldn't try again. Take the figure of 50 percent of divorces failing, don't know if that's true now or ever was. Doesn't tell the whole story. Suppose everybody who gets divorced gets married a second time. If half of them get divorced again--from the original sample, most people achieve successful, long-term marriages. Or at least, dont get divorced.

But that's 50 percent, you'd need a lot more cycles if 94 or whatever percent failed.

I like that they've narrowed it down to a couple weeks of diet change needed to change blood cholesterol. Maybe sooner or later they'll catch up to Dave Feldman and realize it only takes a few days. It didn't take much longer to lower my blood pressure from early hypertension to low normal/optimal levels.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 15:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My take on 50% divorce rate. THere are those that stay married forever, and those that get divorced, then divorce again, and maybe again. lol My observation after 30+ years married......" or at least didnt get divorced." [lol]

I too can change my BP quickly. WHen it climbs to 115/80, time to jump on the bandwagon again. Doctors office considers this a normal number--- me, no!!

BUt you are right: Just keep trying.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 17:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The 50% figure came from the decade or so after no-fault divirce started being legalized, state by state. A LOT of people took this opportunity to get the heck out of Dodge.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 17:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I listened to Campbell being interviewed the other day on Doctor Radio (Sirius XM). He told the same story about DASH and Mediterranean being the best options. He also discussed his experience with Whole30, and said it worked very well for him and that he followed it for longer than 30 days. He quickly added that you give up all sugars and dairy, as if those caveats would be the two things that would cause Whole30 to be a non-starter.