Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 14:33

Plan: Atkins, Bernstein
Stats: 380/308/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Advice for LC vegetarians?

I started eating LC in the summer of 2008. By the summer of 2009 I had lost 70 pounds but because of lack of diligence and boredom in my food plan I regained 35 pounds. So I began 2010 with new resolve and limited my carbs to 20 grams daily and lost 15 pounds. Now I'm getting tired of meat and thinking about eating more of a Mediterranean diet. I just have to watch my intake of high carb beans.

I still plan to eat seafood and eggs, but limit dairy products because I tend to overeat them. I don't eat wheat products or fruit (except for the juice of lemons and limes) because I have type 2 diabetes. Many years ago I ate a vegetarian diet but ate lots of soy products. Since then I have read that soy may not be best for men because of the estrogen factor.

So I guess my questions are...what are the best LC vegetarian food choices and what do you think about the issue of men eating soy products?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 14:46

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If I wanted to go that route I would learn about veg low carb from someone like Joel Furhman. He bases his diet on non-starchy veg and fruit, and limits beans and severely limits grains. Some animal things like eggs and fish, who knows what he's up to nowadays. The main deal is not to discount the high quality of protein in dark leafy greens. Calorie for calorie, kale has as good protein as steak. It's just can you stand all that plant fiber (I wouldn't).

And no if I were a guy I wouldn't eat soy-based vegetarian convenience food (if that's what you're asking). The hormone stuff is real I think. I would eat only eat a small amount of fermented soy. No tofu, soy protein isolate, little endamame.

When I get tired of meat I don't go to veg but instead cycle up the proteins. Maybe more chicken and head cheese, something completely different.

Well done on recognizing that cheese can be overdone and the wheat too! Those are such major things.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 14:52

BF:

Good points. Thanks Seejay!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 19:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi There- I'm a low carb pescatarian. I don't worry about soy too much- but don;t go overboard either. I usually have tofu for dinner 2x a week, and have soy nuts or edamame (I but a pack of either once a month or so- so once a month, I'll eat soy once a day....for a few days in a row until the soynuts run out)

My staples:
veggies- I could go on and on, but veggies are the basis of my diet- lots of greens, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, spaghetti squash, zucchini, mushrooms, pumpkin, some carrots....

Dairy- greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almond milk, lf shredded cheese in recipes...
Fats- olives, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, avocado....
Protein- eggs (most days in one form or another), fish (at least 2-3x/wk), Veggy burgers (maybe 2 per week), tofu (once a wk), occasional beans, etc...

here are a few typical menus (I am more SBD than Atkins BTW)

B- coffee with almond milk and splenda
Greek yogurt (can add sf maple syrup and almonds, or sf jam) or cottage cheese
Eggs on weekends- with veggies like mushrooms and peppers

L- omelet with salad
veggy burger with salad
sometimes a smoothie- I particularly like "pumpkin pie smoothies"

S- nuts and more coffee (often an iced coffee)
veggy sticks and dip (made with greek yogurt and spices or hummus)
yogurt
celery with pb

D- spaghetti squash with shrimp and olive oil and parmesean
portabello "pizzas" (basically use a mushroom as a base for your pizza"
quiche
tofu/veg stir fry or "tofu mac n cheese"
salmon burger with wasabi mustard and asian salad
some sort of soup or salad with beans (once a week)
Parmesan crusted tilapia with roasted turnip "fries"

If I want dessert, it is usually very dark chocolate, hot cocoa, sf apple cider....

Hope this helps....btw, I have type I diabetes
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 20:43

BF:

Thanks for your input Robin. I'm not eating dairy or nuts until I start losing again but otherwise you gave some great suggestions.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 04:40

BF:

hmmm...that makes it a little harder

A few random suggestions:

a great low carb nondairy, not nut butter dip- baba gnoiush (like hummus but made with eggplant)

if you want a "vegetarian meat" on occasion, try quorn (it's not made with soy, but still pretty processed)

shrimp salad and egg salad could be easy lunches (with celery and bell peppers to "scoop"). The "I'm a genius" shrimp recipe is really good and takes less than 5 minutes to make a big batch.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 08:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
hmmm...that makes it a little harder

A few random suggestions:

a great low carb nondairy, not nut butter dip- baba gnoiush (like hummus but made with eggplant)

if you want a "vegetarian meat" on occasion, try quorn (it's not made with soy, but still pretty processed)

shrimp salad and egg salad could be easy lunches (with celery and bell peppers to "scoop"). The "I'm a genius" shrimp recipe is really good and takes less than 5 minutes to make a big batch.

Good ideas Robin. I've been thinking about making baba hannouj. We love Mediterranean food. I made hummus and falafel Sunday but there are lots of carbs in garbanzo beans. I may even try an edamame hummus. I have read about quorn but I'm not sure it's available in my area. The shrimp salad and egg salad are both good ideas. Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 10:51

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Baba ganoush is made with tahini, same as hummus (if you're avoiding nuts and seeds).
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 11:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Baba ganoush is made with tahini, same as hummus (if you're avoiding nuts and seeds).

Thanks avacado! I can handle things made from seeds like tahini. Nuts are addicting for me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 13:48

BF:

guacamole might be another great dip for you, as well as tapenade.

I love falafel too- wish it didn't have so many carbs!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 13:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
guacamole might be another great dip for you, as well as tapenade.

I love falafel too- wish it didn't have so many carbs!

Guacamole is a great idea. I could use the extra fat from avacado. I love tapenade too. I'll have to look up a recipe. Thanks!