Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 07:26

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Hot Cocoa FlaxMeal Cereal

I used to make chocolate oatmeal/Cream of Wheat once upon a time and this is better than those every were!

Hot Cocoa Flaxmeal Cereal

3 Tbsp. flaxmeal
1 Tbsp. wheat bran (or more, if you like, and I like about 2)
1/4 c. vanilla whey protein powder
1 Tbsp. butter
1 to 2 Tbsp. DaVinci SF Chocolate Syrup
3/4 - 1 c. boiling water

Mix flax, bran and whey. Boil water and add about half to the mixture, stirring well. Continue to add water until you reach the consistency you like. Add butter and syrup. Stir well.

This doesn't gum up like plain flax cereals do, and the flavorings can be changed to fit your tastes. My husband likes SF maple syrup -- almost exactly like the instant oatmeal he used to eat.

For "Bulk Mix" purposes, the following recipe makes 10 servings of this cereal. You just have to add the butter, flavoring and water:

Flaxmeal Cereal Mix

1 cup flaxmeal
3/4 c. wheat bran
2-1/2 c. whey protein powder

Mix together and use a rounded 1/2 cup scoop in a bowl. Add butter, flavoring and water and there you have it! I store this in an airtight canister in the freezer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 07:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for the recipe! Do you know the carb count for it?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:41

BF:

Flaxmeal, according to Bob's Red Mill equals to be zero carbs ... 4 carbs and 4 fiber per 1/4 cup, But others give it carbs, therefore:

3 Tbsp. Flaxmeal about 1.5 carbs.
1 Tbsp. wheat bran (10 carbs/quarter cup, 6 fiber) = 1 carb
vanilla protein powder = 0 carbs
butter = 0
DaVinci Syrup = 0 carbs

This makes 2.5 carbs, but I double the wheat bran for 3.5.

If anyone has a correction for me, please let me know. I'm unsure about Bob's Red Mill counts, as I just received a shipment of both coconut flakes and shredded coconut. The flakes list 4 carbs/3 Tbsp. and 2 fiber... the shredded lists 4 carbs and NO fiber!

For the bulk mix,

1 cup flaxmeal - 7 carbs
3/4 c. wheat bran - 12 carbs
2-1/2 c. whey protein powder - zero carbs
19 total carbs, divided by the number of servings you'll get out of it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I just made this but I used 1/4 cup designer whey chocolate protein powder (2 carbs) instead of the SF syrup + vanilla protein powder combo

it was yummy- thanks for sharing.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 12:07

BF:

Oooooo! I'm glad you tried that. I have no choc. protein powder but assume it would be good. I didn't want to suggest it for fear it might not be right, so this is a good little tweak.

I'm not interested in trying strawberry-flavored protein powder with this, as something about hot strawberry cereal doesn't fly with me, but someone may like it. Surely some of those specialty flavors would be a great switch, too.

Glad you liked it!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:52

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

today I made it with 1/2 a scoop of the protein powder (a scoop is roughly 1/3 cup) to cut the carbs to 1, and it was fine.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:15

BF:

I've done similar reductions when using DaVinci syrup -- I can go from a tablespoon down to about a tsp. of the syrup and still have flavor, depending on how much flavor I feel like having for that day.

Today, it was 2 tsp.!

Some days, plain is good -- if using vanilla whey powder you get a nice vanilla flavor without any additions.

Nice to have a versatile food like this.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 03:48

Stats: 123/118/110 Female 5 ft 2.5 ins
BF:24%/23%/20%
Progress: 38%
Default soy protein isolate

can you substitute soy protein isolate for the whey isolate? What difference would it make? Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 04:13

BF:

I can't answer for soy products as I don't use them myself. I have seen recipes that suggest either/or for whey and soy, so my suggestion is to make a half-batch serving and see how it works.

The protein is only there for purposes of ... well ... protein! So it shouldn't affect the outcome, IMO.

If anyone else knows a definite answer here I'm interested to learn, and if you try it, Avelev, please note your findings.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 13:30

Stats: 123/118/110 Female 5 ft 2.5 ins
BF:24%/23%/20%
Progress: 38%
Default mmmm

yes, I have tried it, and i really love it. Just wondering why some people avoid soy products... any downsides? And also the protein question - how much is too much??
But aside from that, this is my recipe:

1/4 cup soy protein isolate
1/4 cup ground flaxseed/ wheat bran mix
1 teaspoon splenda

It's fantastic, and really filling. heartily recommended. Does anyone have any idea how many carbs 1/8cup ground flaxseed and 1/8 cup wheat bran mixed together would be?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 14:05

BF:

1/8 cup wheat bran would give you 2 usable carbs
1/8 c. flax, according to the Bob's Red Mill package equals 0 carbs, since the fiber is all of it, but I give it a 1, just in case.

Yes, this stuff is amazingly filling. My husband was shocked to find I was working like a chemist to build a smoothie repertoir ... thought I was starting some sort of liquid diet. He has used whey protein powder and water mixed as a shake and finds he's hungry in an hour or two, and I showed him the numbers on this recipe as well as the fat, calories, protein, vitamins, carbs, etc. and explained why it's not a liquid breakfast.

I don't have a problem with soy, actually, since I don't use it. I hooked with whey early on and just have stayed with it. I've heard soy has an odd flavor sometimes, but that's only hearsay.

Have a great weekend!

---Amy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 14:01

Stats: 202/189/145 Female 5'3
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 23%

is something like this ok for induction.....I am dying for something besides eggs.....
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:29

BF:
Default Yes, sirree!

This cereal is fine and dandy for induction as the carb count is low, it doesn't contain nuts or berries and the fiber is EXCELLENT for you.

If you're having trouble with getting enough fiber in your diet this will do the trick. Also, I'm a high cholesterol gal and the flax keeps it in check, which is among the benefits of flax. The wheat bran included in this does a little of the same thing.

I'm off Induction and have enjoyed adding 2 T. of homemade peanut butter to my morning cereal ... this is my everyday breakfast and eggs/bacon/sausage are a once in a while choice for me now.

You can omit the cocoa (it does have some fiber in it, but isn't essential to enjoying the cereal unless you're dying for chocolate), and you can substitute various sweeteners, such as DaVinci Gingerbread, peanut butter, or plain old vanilla. Whatever suits your mood!

If you try this let me know what you think. DH isn't a fan ... he's expecting an exact duplicate of oatmeal, which he loves. This is more nutty in texture and far more flavorful than oatmeal. Plus, once you mix it, you can add a little more water to thin it or a little more cereal to thicken it, which you can't do with oatmeal.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:23

Stats: 202/189/145 Female 5'3
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 23%

do you need the wheat bran......I have everything for this except that....I have flaxseed meal,whey protein powder and cocoa....if I need the wheat bran I guess it is off to the store again......
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:32

BF:

I've never made this without the wheat bran, but my mother does and likes it just fine -- try a small amount and see what you come up with?

No use making another store run if you like it without the bran.

---Amy