Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 18:10

Plan: meat and eggs life plan
Stats: 220/220/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default would like to transition to 50-75% raw....

hello...i am new to this board...right now i am doing a very strict low carb eating, including meat. i have decided to do it this way to get some of my health issues under control and take weight off quickly...however...i have been semi-vegetarian for ethical reasons for many years...and have gone times being vegan....i love the living/raw food lifestyle....however the diet tends to be high in natural sugars...too high for me to correct my health problems....also the majority of raw foodist are pro low-fat which proved difficult for me to handle....when i reach maintenance i would love to incoperate about 50-75% raw/living foods....in a reduced carb way...i imagine low-carb veggies and nut dishes....does anyone have experience with this woe...i am very interested in positive responses only....i understand raw foods and veganism may be controversial...but pls only advice that would be helpful for me....thank you....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 08:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Jasmine, in the spirit of being 'helpful for [you]', while lots of vegetables and nuts and seeds are good when raw, their nutrients and vitamins/minerals are more bioavailable to your body (i.e., digestible) when they are cooked. Being a vegetarian or vegan is fine; I don't consider it controversial. But as you point out, eating raw diets tend to be too high in natural sugars to be beneficial to our bodies--some small amount is good; too much is detrimental. You have chosen to eat low carb to 'get some of [your] health issues under control and take weight off quickly.'

What makes you think that once the weight is off and your health issues are controlled, you'll be able to change your diet so dramatically (by 50-70%) and KEEP the weight off and KEEP your health issues controlled?

Seriously--eating low carb, whether incorporating meat or staying vegetarian or some combination of the two--isn't a quick fix solution. If you've already experience weight gain and health issues while eating higher carb and/or eating raw, those things are going to come back with a vengeance if you return to the way you were eating before low carbing. So think carefully how you can return to that kind of eating, or whether it's truly the best thing for your body.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 11:23
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

There are some people who like raw meat. You said you were incorporating meat into your lc plan and that might be an option since you want to do raw foods. Check out the Neanderthin/Paleo area on this forum.

You can eat many low carb veggies raw, just add mayonaise or butter to them to up the fat content.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Raw Foods

Hi Jasmineben!!!! I have been trying raw food diet for only l week now. Getting good results on my blood sugar levels as I am on insulin. I've tried Atkins, Weight Watchers and also went to Curves - I didn't get the results I needed and my sugars weren't good enough. For me this has been the best so far and I feel much better. I eat raw for breakfast and lunch and then because of hubby , we have meat for dinner. I make him potatoes or rice or pasta and I always make a couple of different fresh veggies. or a large salad with everything in it. I also make my own salad dressing. Where I live we have a class once a month - Hallelujah Diet - they told me I should be l00% raw because of health issues BUT for now that's out of the question. Too much for me to handle. I think I'm doing great. 2 out of 3 meals raw. Any questions - just holler. Suzy (Vivid Lily)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 14:38

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

Can you handle raw fish? Sushi would be perfect.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 12:26

Plan: under 40 gr vegetarian
Stats: 430/215/180 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 86%

You might try incorporating some raw live foods at each meal a more realistic goal, why wait, do it now, a nice salad made up of low carb veggies and greens with a few cooked lentals or legumes and a nice tahini dressing makes a perfectly satisfying meal. Meat is not necessary for weight loss or low carb diets. Sliced cucumbers a little onion a small chopped tomato with some feta cheese(or stedda feta marinatted tofu) and an olive oil, lemon vinegret makes a wonderful breakfast. Baked cubed tofu can be added to any mixed vegetable salad or you can use silken tofu to make a nice ranch style high protein dressing. I personally love my cooked low carb veggies, I used to shun eggs but I now buy fresh eggs from a local egg lady that lets her chickens free range and they get lots of love so I do eat a few eggs now I just love sauteed spinich with an egg broken into it and steamed until just set, that and a half dozen strawberries or a few bites of cantaloupe are my idea of the perfect meal. TerryWA
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 20:48

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I wouldn't recommend this but I add a raw organic egg to my morning shake. I understand if anyone is afraid of food poisoning. So far so good though. I read a lowcarb book where the author stated that he has done it with no negative consequences. I just mentioned it because you said you wanted to go raw. I also make raw almond milk and raw sunflower seed milk. I'm probably going to get some feedback on the raw egg, I probably will do it until it makes me sick and I have to give it up.(LOL) It is entirely possible to increase your raw intake. And remember as long as you do not heat anything higher then 120 degrees technically it is raw because the enzymes are intact. Judy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 10:43

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

I am also trying to move towards a raw foods diet. I am not in anyway opposed to eating raw egg yolks and sometimes beef tartare and sushi (kind of expensive though.) Right now I make eggnog with coconut milk and 3-4 egg yolks blended with vanilla bean and sometimes a tiny dab of raw honey. YUMMMMMMY

Also I am making macadamia nut whipped cream and fake nut meatballs which are really good!

A decent book for some low carb raw ideas is Gabriel Cousins' Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. He seems to think that when you transition to a raw food diet you should start out eating only low carb stuff like greens, low carb veggies, coconuts and nuts. He breaks his diet down into 3 stages and each stage allows slightly carbier food. The only thing is that he is vegan and I don't really think that is the healthiest so I will keep adding egg yolks and other tolerable raw animal foods.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 01:07

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I am also trying to move towards a raw foods diet. I am not in anyway opposed to eating raw egg yolks and sometimes beef tartare and sushi (kind of expensive though.) Right now I make eggnog with coconut milk and 3-4 egg yolks blended with vanilla bean and sometimes a tiny dab of raw honey. YUMMMMMMY

Also I am making macadamia nut whipped cream and fake nut meatballs which are really good!

A decent book for some low carb raw ideas is Gabriel Cousins' Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. He seems to think that when you transition to a raw food diet you should start out eating only low carb stuff like greens, low carb veggies, coconuts and nuts. He breaks his diet down into 3 stages and each stage allows slightly carbier food. The only thing is that he is vegan and I don't really think that is the healthiest so I will keep adding egg yolks and other tolerable raw animal foods.

I agree with you 100%; I have lost 59 pounds on a mostly raw food diet that includes some raw fish occasionally. Not only that, but like Vivid Lily (who set me on the path to raw - thanks Suzy!) My insulin use has been drastically reduced - I use it only when I want to eat berries or an apple.

Cooking food drastically reduces most of the vitamin and enzyme content although cooking certain foods, such as tomatoes, actually does make improve the biovailability of some nutrients - so I still steam some veggies from time to time.

Read Dr Cousens' book as recommended, but also check out the Complete Idiots Guide To Eating Raw - lots of great advice for the newbie and lots of easy recipes that are less complicated than those in Rainbow Green with ingredients found in the supermarket. For those of us in northern climates, this is better.

good luck and contact me if you have any questions.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 13:49

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I am so thrilled to have found this thread. My plan is to begin to add raw foods into my diet more and more. Currently I am reading Gabriel Cousins' Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, have completed other books by Carol Alt, Matthew Monarch, and Victoria Boutenko. It looks like my first major purchase will need to be a Vita-Mix blender or a juicer. Any advice?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 15:19

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

In my opinion, the best way to do a raw diet is to eat lots of fermented foods. In addition to boosting enzyme and probiotic content, fermentation neutralizes some of the antinutrients that are found in raw foods. I've discovered, however, that it doesn't get rid of all of them - it actually increases oxalates (found in nuts, seeds, grains and green vegetables) and some goitrogens (found in crucifers and soy). The standard recommendation to remove these antinutrients is to boil the vegetables and then discard the water. However, I have learned that kimchi, which is always eaten raw, is often brined before fermentation, and the brine is also discarded. I don't have any confirmation that this reduces antinutrients, but it sounds like a wise practice regardless.

Fermentation also reduces carb content somewhat, although I would caution against overestimating this effect. When I count carbs, I assume that nothing has been removed by fermentation so I don't overdo it.

Fermentation is a lot of fun. Although I've moved away from plant foods lately, it was a long-time goal of mine to learn how to make pickled plums, one of the world's greatest fermented foods. I still make sauerkraut and kimchi, though, because it's so easy and so very tasty. I'm also thinking about fermenting meat. It sounds scary but some very familiar foods like salami and pepperoni are actually raw fermented meats.

If you're concerned about the ethical issues of meat, it's worthwhile to look into pastured meat. Sustainable methods of animal husbandry can actually be kinder to the environment and animal life than conventional grain and vegetable farming.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 22:45

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thank you for all of the information. I haven't seen much at all about fermented foods in my reading. It looks like I have lots to study and think about. As far as meat goes, it is the antibiotics and hormones that is making me sick. Organic meat is nearly impossible to find.

I would love to find a raw foods support group locally. I have so many extremely basic questions I need to ask. I know nothing about juicing, smoothies and sprouting

Again, Capmikee, your help is so appreciated!

Kathy

Last edited by purnois : Mon, Dec-21-09 at 22:56.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnois
I am so thrilled to have found this thread. My plan is to begin to add raw foods into my diet more and more. Currently I am reading Gabriel Cousins' Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, have completed other books by Carol Alt, Matthew Monarch, and Victoria Boutenko. It looks like my first major purchase will need to be a Vita-Mix blender or a juicer. Any advice?

I have a blend-tec which was recommended to me by the store owner over the vitamix. Still, I regret not getting the vitamix - the blend-tec is powerful, but not nearly as advertised.

You will also most likely need: a deydrator, a food processor (my mini one is fine) a spiral slicer and a mandoline. But the blender is the most important thing for now. I started with my oesterizer, but my green smoothies had bits in them. Still it was fine to start with. You can get the other items slowly. You will also need a nut milk bag. I just buy knee high stocking from the dollar store and use them - they are cheap and work beautifully.

Save your large mayo and pickle jars if you buy these for the rest of the family or get a few larger mason jars. You will need these for sprouting which is a great and cheap source of highly nutritious live food. For a screen for the top of the jar youu could use cheesecloth, but I got a 6 inch roll of tulle from my local party supply store and a pack of rubber bands from the dollar store and just cut pieces of tulle for my jars.

If you have any question, email me anytime info~anstria.com and I will be happy to help.

Warmly,

April
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 07:03

BF:

By the way, it is best to keep it really simple at first. There is no need to eat raw meat - you can get all your protein needs from a vegan raw diet. I used to slice frozen liver and fish and eat it quickly but I no longer do this. I eat a little sushi from time to time, but I really don't need it. If you don't though, you will need a B12 supplement - sublingual is best absorbed.

I have some great and easy recipes. I found the ones in Rainbow green to be too complicated with exotic ingredients unavailable in Canda. Victoria Boutenko has some good basic ones. Check out the Sunny Spread. But the Idiots guide to Raw food will give you everything you need to get started.

As for fermented food, many raw teachers do not recommended it. You must soak most nuts and seeds before consuming to get rid of the substances that impede proper digestion, and the is indeed oxalic acid in raw spinach and other dark greens. I still think a little fermented food is ok - everything in moderation though. I think it's a wise motto especially for the Newbie. In time, by experimentation and with ideas from people like capmikee, vivid lily and other who will no doubt post her for you will discover what works for you and what does not. So, for now, a blender. The Vitamix is outrageously expensive, so if you are not sure you will remain on this, get a cheaper blender to start for about $50 or less from the Wal-Mart. Then later, you can add appliances one by one. I have found the dehydrator allows me occasional treats such as raw, grain free cookies and breads. It keeps things interesting. I have mine going most days of the week.

Again, message me anytime - I will be delighted to help.

April
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 08:57

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Here's a list of pasture-based farms in Illinois:

http://eatwild.com/products/illinois.html

A great book on fermentation is "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. He writes with contagious enthusiasm and a friendly attitude for vegans and meat-eaters alike.

"Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon will tell you how to soak and sprout your nuts and seeds, and has a little information on dehydrating. It also provides a good deal of information about fermentation, with an emphasis on raw dairy. Watch out though, this book is NOT vegetarian-friendly.