Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many times have you Tried Low Carbing before succeeding
this is my First Time 315 35.31%
Back on the Wagon - Second Time 239 26.79%
Third Time is a Charm 124 13.90%
Lost Count 214 23.99%
Voters: 892. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 17:38

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

Funny that one of the choices is Back on the wagon!!
That's the name of my journal

I was always a lousy cook and Lcing has forced me to learn to cook to stay away from boredom. Hubby always hated my cooking, said I never had any imagination. Well I have come a long way and one of the successes of Lcing is cooking! There are so many creative ways to prepare food with terrific seasonings.

Besides, fat makes things tasts so much better
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

First and only time for me.

Eight months and 56 lbs later it is a lifestyle change and I won't ever go back

Lesley
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 20:46

Plan: Carbo Addicts
Stats: 212/201/145
BF:34
Progress: 16%
Default Fell of the wagon---

I've lost on this diet before, but I'm having problems this time around. I need to lose a few more pounds before June 13 when I go back to the doctor. You'd think that would inspire me, but I've really had problems this last week. I have a cabinet full of low carb food, it's just eating in the cafeteria at work that is my downfall. I have to lose about 40 more lbs. because I have to have a hip replacement. Any words of inspiration? Or criticism? I'd just appreciate a little recognition I guess. I've lost 8 lbs. in the last month, now I'm stuck. Not losing, but not gaining, but cheating.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 06:58

Hi Susie

You will do just fine. The little cheats for some reason are of the hardest to overcome. For some reason our brains tell us that they are small and they don't matter. Make the decision that this isn't a diet but a WOL. LCing can not be done just to lose weight and then go back. It is a commitment to a life time of eating this way.

8 lbs in the last month is great! that is 2lbs a week and that is a healthy start. Remember, our weight gain (I feel I can include everyone here, slap me if I'm wrong) didn't happen overnight, and weight loss won't either. You have lost, and staying with this forum is the best thing you can do.

Start a journal and lets see where you are going wrong, if even at all!! You may be doing just fine, but your body is taking a bit of time to adjust. Make sure you are eating enough, wow did I say that! and drinking plenty of water. half your body weight in ounces and a minimum of 64 oz a day.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 07:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default One golden shot and why you don't want to miss it

This article ties in nicely with this thread...very interesting and informative...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 15:41

Stats: 185/141/145 Female 66 "
BF:
Progress: 110%
Smile

Thanks Bonnie that was a great article!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 16:22

Stats: 185/141/145 Female 66 "
BF:
Progress: 110%

Wow look at that.. first and second time are almost tied.... not very many for 3 and lost count... I read the article in the link Bonnie provided and wished I had know about that the first time I tried Atkins... It is definatly alot slower the second time .... but I am not going to give up this time, I have alot of willpower and determination to make this work for me!!!!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:29
Registered Member

Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%
Default Second Time

I first tried the Atkins diet 5 years ago. I was doing a lot of travelling, staying in hotels, flying etc. I ended up so constipated I had to give up.(not enough water, not enough fresh veggies, too many blocks of cheddar cheese) I have now been LCing since January 2002. I lost the first 15lb very easily, within 2 months but have only dropped another 2lb since them. I am still very low carb, less than 40 grams and if I wander past that I seem to gain about a third of a pound per day.....I have added aerobics classes (twice per week), I fast walk for an hour (twice) and usually get in at least one long bike ride per week. My husband is also doing LC and has continued to drop weight and looks great in 34 pants again (he was in size 40). I am determined to get some more weight off and I am constantly tweaking my diet to see what makes a difference. On days when I stay at around 1300 calories, and about 20 carbs my weight goes down. But as soon as I eat 3 meals a day I start to creep up. After all that said, I do believe this is the right choice for me, we enjoy the food and I love being able to eat sour cream and pork rinds as an occassional snack.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:33

1300 calories isn't way off the mark for you, according to the formula of 10-12x your weight your intake should be anywhere from 1450 to 1740...

1300 is only 150 less than the low end.

Now if you dropped down to 1000 then I'd say you have to eat more
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 00:17

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

Started LCing in 1998....when my cousin gave me the Atkins Book which is a major turning pt.

Been on and off (lost count) due to schooling. And in fact I have my mistakes to thank for because it teaches me new things each time I've failed.

Now back to LCing since early April, noticed the scales are not telling me nice stuffs, and feared I will gain more. These two months till June, I have taken off 5kg (approx 11 pounds). And much to my surprise, now the BMI tells me I am within the healthy weight range (25.5). Some websites even told me I dont need to undergo a weight loss programme! but I am still on the edge of the healthy range that anytime i may fall off again.

With the 5th year round, plus gaining so much experience and support from this forum, i am able to steer away/cope with eating out with friends. I am able to work out alternatives and at least to my friends, they wont look at me with strange looks. Plus, I find that sometimes I will lose weight with alternate days up-carbing.

This alternate up-carbing comes as a discovery. Recently, I feared my weight will increase, practically from many days of a wk i was consuming close to 70g of carbs. But everyone has different responses to up-carbing.

In fact my plan was to try limiting my carbs under 20g, but I got it 'foiled' and with not much choices, I took a bit of rice, fries etc. Much to my surprise, my weight still went down further. I even took those teriyaki sauces which are ladden with sugar...been really sensitive to sweet stuffs, even a pear/apple tastes quite sweet now.

And I find my body becomes more sensitive to carbs esp those complex carbs....last time when I was off LCing, my body ballooned even faster even before I started LCing with my old habit. I tend to gain faster if i fall off the wagon. Does anyone have such tendency too?

But since it dawned on me that my 'foiled' plan works, I will be most glad because I dont have to limit my ranges. On the 'foiled plan', I still take note of my carb intake. If I order Chicken rice, I will only consume 2 tablespoons, and leave the remaining rice to my brother.

But my mom is still nagging me away for being a heavy meat eater. I took more fruits and veges to please her. But sometimes if I am lazy to cook lunch, i simply finish off a small pear. In fact, fruits have become my 2nd best friend in LCing, esp when there are times I dont know what to eat with friends. I can simply buy a fruit salad.

fumih~
p.s. i recently added my own avatar....but too bad it is considered 'outdated' coz i have gotten myself a short bob look. Will update my avatar when I have taken some nice pix. Now with the fact that I am within the healthy range, I am simply happy!!!!!!!!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 17:26

Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally posted by MunchyP
Hi

This is my first time around LCing, and although I haven't reached my goal yet by a long shot, I am succeeding nontheless. This WOE has shown me that "dieting" doesn't have to equal deprivation and denial. I'm giving myself until June of 2003 to shed all the extra pounds, but the health benefits that I've already gained from LCing is worth more than money can buy!!

I didn't clear out a thing, I told everybody around me to eat what they want and I won't preach at them but don't say a word if I don't eat what you are.

I like the challenge of defeating temptation, I like the feeling of being in total control of my mind and body and what I put in it

Jeff
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 16:45

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I don't think my answer is among those choices.

Since autumn of 2000, I've had a handful of planned indulgences and a number of slips, including one long one...but I don't consider that off and on the wagon. It's all learning, and I still don't have it entirely "perfect" yet...and I may never.

But weeks and weeks off the processed carbs at a time is still a lot better than every day being a sugar blow-out day! Knowing now that if I have sugar, I should have it with a protein-rich meal has led to much less bingeing and probably much better blood sugars.

It does seem to be true, though, that if you go off and on and off and on, you're probably going to get slower results with each attempt.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 305/288/235
BF:
Progress: 24%

This is my 2nd time around, lost 95# in 7 months, went on a cruise and fell off the wagon. Took 1 1/2 years to get back on, but have lost 17# in less that 2 weeks. I admit that I hate LCing, but there's no other way for me and I have to keep it UNDER 10 gr. per day to loose anything......Cmack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wednesday, june 26, 2002 (3).jpg (95.6 KB, 83 views)
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 19:20

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmack
[snip]I have to keep it UNDER 10 gr. per day to loose anything......Cmack

That's amazing! I have not heard of anyone needing to cut it that low. I hear a lot of trial and error and pain in your "voice". Good for you, you came back to what works for you!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:16

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

This is my first time LCing. And so far (6 months, 28 pounds) so good. My program of choice is The Schwarzbein Principle and as such I think it is harder to "go off" because you have so much more leway in the amount of carbs you can eat.

I have had one 3-week stint when I was eating too many carbs and probably gained a couple pounds or maybe it was a lot of "water," but because I was never off the program, I merely lowered my carb intake and am back on track and poised to go below my low-point of 215.

;-Deb