Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default fasting/atkins

I have been on and off with fasting but today, after almost two days of water fasting, i've decided to try atkins diet and i am wondering if this would make me gain body fat because once in starvation mode my body would convert anything that i eat into fat. Would that happen when i start induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 16:35

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

First of all, why were you water fasting in the first place? There really is no place doing this in a healthy way of life, except for short periods before surgery etc. etc. Most research says water fasting is dangerous, and at the least not good because it causes muscle loss, and even brain damamge in some people.

Coming off of water fasting in any fashion, including atkins will almost certainly result in gaining weight. If you add foods to quickly it can even result in a person needing immediate medical attention.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 16:39
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Your body would rebuild lost muscle for sure...which is a GOOD thing. Don't worry about the number, worry about health.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 21:53

Stats: 130/130/115 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Here's the problem that i have had with fasting and please tell me if my metabolism is messed up. before fasting i was 126 pounds, i started fasting for 5 days and then got off and fasted again for 7 days. During fasting i still exercise regularly, burning at least 300cals per session. I got down to 110. Until recently, i started eating, sometimes overeating and then exercised rigoriously, burning 1000cals per session so that i can maintain my weight. Then i go back to fasting again for 3 days some times 4 days and still include exercises. This happened on and off with fasting and binging. especially with binging, i usually exercise more. I know what i have been doing is absolutely unhealthy yet i cant come off it and my weight is still between 109-110lbs. So i have decided to try Atkins for a change. For this i am afraid that after fasting for almost two days and start induction, i would gain fat since i was in starvation mode.
please help, any reply would be greatly appreciated,
thank you
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 04:46
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 124/126.5/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: -18%

I doubt you'll gain fat by going on Atkins. You'll likely gain muscle, which you most certainly lost by fasting AND exercising at the same time. Muscle loss isn't good, and it will slow your metabolism. My advice: stop fasting, start Atkins, or LC plan of your choice, and eat when you are hungry, don't starve yourself. You'll probably put on some pounds, probably muscle, so if that bothers you, stay off the scales.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 08:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Your first step should be to go see a doctor. Please.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 14:44

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I agree with jessica and potatofree. Please go see a doctor, as what you are doing is classic eating disordered behavior. Beleive me, as a recovered annorexic myself, this is not a road you want to venture very far down.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 03:02

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Your first step should be to go see a doctor. Please.

agreed.....................
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 09:54

Stats: 175/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 113%

I have to say that this just makes me so sad. I did the same thing as you in college and it was just horrible. This is an eating disorder. No one should fast unless you are having surgery and it is required. This is not a good long term goal. Bless your heart! I hope that you do go see a doctor because you have an eating disorder.

Much love, and take care of yourself!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:43
Registered Member

Stats: 187/187/125.5 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

If i was you, going from no food whatsoever, i would spend about 5 days doing the 'fat fast' (1000 cals, 75-90% fat) then a week on the 'modified fat fast' (1200 cals, slightly lower fat %) then onto induction and so on. although fasting is not great, i think its important to slowly build up just incase you gain weight which could just set off the cycle again. hope this helps x

Last edited by doreen T : Mon, Jun-09-08 at 13:04. Reason: spam link removed
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Fasting puts you in ketosis. Starting Atkins would be a continuation of that ketosis, so you would certainly not gain "fat".

Some people who fast do not have an eating disorder, but your method is a little out of the norm. I almost agree with the visit to the doctor, but a doctor will probably not recommend what you really need, but will prescribe drugs instead.

A good, well educated low carb diet will help you develop a healthy body size, whether you need to gain or lose weight. It can help you overcome the urge to binge-eat and stabilize your metabolism.

Eat whole foods which are low in carbs on a regular basis, and some of your worries about your diet will be settled. I promise.