Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default confession

It is official. I am an addict. I hate that we have to cycle this stuff because I want it every day. I am grumping around today drinking tea and coffee because I don't have my eca high. <sigh>
I don't need cautions here, I'm easily addicted to anything and I know it. (food, drink, stimulants, sex)
Just a rant..
Meg
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 21:21

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default LOL

Life just isn't as fun when cycling off of stimulants. LOL.

I have been off for the past few months, and I miss the running-off-at-the-mouth sensation that the NYC stack gives me.

Also, cardio isn't nearly as speedy. Not quite as sweaty either, which is a good thing since when I am on EC or NYC, I turn into one big sweat gland.
  #258   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 12:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/155/127
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi. I have personally tried a whole bunch of the thermogenic weight loss combinations [hydroxicut, xenadrine, lowcarbers miracle, etc. too many to count] and I have never lost any weight with any of them. Maybe my body is weird or something, but, they just don't seem to work their "magic" for me.
  #259   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 23:11

Plan: Dr Schwarzbein
Stats: 132/118/110
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Foolishness!!!!

You are all fooling yourselves if you think that any magic pill will be the answer to your weight problems. I am a pharmacist and I get asked about these "magic" pills and here is my blanket answer. "You can take the pills that contain Ephedra and Caffeine if you want to DIE!!!" Ephedra is a methamphetamine derivitive and a very dangerous drug! It has been linked to may deaths! No pill is ever going to be the answer. All Ephedra is doing is speeding up you metabolism (not to mention your heart) that is not healthy. The caffeine is just a dieretic, so you lose about 5-10 pounds in water weight. So speeding up the heart, and dehydrating yourself is dangerous and you could DIE!

Soni
  #260   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But this coming from someone who wants to be 118 pounds. Try being 258 and see how you would think. I take xenadrine (ephedrine free) and
caffeine free) It may all be psychological but I feel better and my body is starting to shape better. I work out at the gym 4 days a week and taking xenadrine in the mid morning gives me the energy to go work in the gym. Until you weight 200 -250 and have absolutely no energy then you should not throw stones. I myself take the pills for 2months, stop 2 months extra. I have lost 36 pounds on the Atkins diet and lost 45 inches working in the gym. Until I get strong enough and build make my energy level, then I will take xenadrine. No one is taking these pills to be on a suicide trip, everyone needs a little push. You just have to be smart about it.

Good luck to all.

Entitled to my own opinion!!!!!
Pammysue
  #261   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Post Humm...

Ok, I'll throw in a comment or 2 here. I've never heard anybody here reffer to these products as a do all, end all, "magic pill". Sure lot's of folks would dream it was true.

There are a lot of products out there, (Seen on TV) that promise the world. They show you all these men and women in perfect shape, eating pizza and popping a pill, and look what you get. If that was the truth, everybody here would be eating pizza 3 times a day and be as skinny as a rail.

As Trainerdan has said before, these products, used properly, can aid in losing weight. They are not a "magic pill". If they were, none of us would be here, and all these losing weight companies and products would be out of business in a year, seeing how everyone used the products and are now in perfect shape.

Like any drug, product, or food, they have to be used properly. Many of any deaths I've heard reported, linked to thermogenics, are from people who did not follow the instructions. Took way too much, too fast, or consumed drinks / cocktails while on these products.
You don't drink a full bottle of cough medicine so you can get rid of a bad cough in an hour.
We all know there is no "quick fixs" in life, just things that will aid or help us in our quests.

BTW: I don't use any "Thermogenics" but have been reading up on these products for quite sometime now, and will be making a decision on which to use in the near future, as an "aid", to futher along my weight loss. I do not buy in to anything I see on TV as a quick fix, nor will I ever go off my LC WOL with or without, any of the product out there. Proper diet(LC) and exercise is my WOL, for the rest of my life.
Just my 2-cents worth, John
  #262   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 14:53

Plan: Dr Schwarzbein
Stats: 132/118/110
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default No stones here

I am not throwing stones at anyone, I am a health care professional that knows that these pills do not and will not be a permanent fix to any thing. I hate to see you people throw your money away on drugs what are dangerous or just placebos. I spent 6 years in school to learn how drugs work in the body and most of these are bogus! Eating right and exercise is what is working for you not the pill. I just do not want someone to die of a heart attack, like many already have. Just remember just because the are "natural" and OTC does not make them safe. Arsenic is natural too. As for the energy thing try a Vit-B 50 complex it will do more then the others and is much less expensive.
  #263   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:38
Registered Member

Nicely put John.........

I believe that "most" people feel the same way, we want to take these pills as an "aid" in weight loss. We dont expect to look like super models in 10 days. When you hit rock bottom and cant stand the way you look, those commericals do convince you that there is a possibility. But my feeling is if you are LC and exercising and using your head about your program. An aid is not going to hurt, like Trainer Dan does say, on for a month or so and then off for a month or so. If you get to the point where your happy with your metabolism and your energy level is up, then dont go back on them. Everyone needs to use there heads and do what is best for themselves.

But like I stated before until you weight 200/250, you will not understand the psychological effect the weight has on you. Work or not work, doesnt matter, if I think it is working that is all the matters.

As John said, do your research. Lots of pros and cons both ways.

I am done ranting now...............

Pammysue
  #264   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 17:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default thanks

Sonik,

Thank you for your point of view.

This thread is for showing both sides of the coin of themogenics. And while your statements are a bit off-the-mark, they are welcome nonetheless.

Quote:
I hate to see you people throw your money away on drugs what are dangerous or just placebos

This thread is here to guide those who have made an eductaed decisiob to use thermogenics to the products that are NOT fakes/placebos. Hence the products I named in the title.

The EC stack is safe if used as directed and in the proper dosage. In fact, it was proven safer and more effective than the diet drug Redux.

If you are going to cast stones and make bold comments about people dying, please back it up with some science/studies ... with references.

All of the info we are putting here showing the advantages of epehdrine and caffeine are backed by science.

And caffeine is a whole lot more than a diuretic. As a pharmacist, you should know that. Caffeine is a trimethylxanthine , and is considered a pharmacological sport ergogenic designed to function like naturally occurring hormones or neurotransmitters.

However, because caffeine may be found naturally in beverages like coffee, it also may be classified as a nutritional sport ergogenic .

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant and causes an increase in psychological and physiological arousal from the sympathetic nervous system. As a result of this stimulation, the catecholamine epinephrine is released from the adrenal gland. Epinephrine may improve the inotropicity or contraction strength of the heart and increase the use of fatty acids as a fuel source during aerobic or endurance exercise, thus sparing muscle glycogen. Lastly, caffeine plays a role in the release of calcium from the sarcoplasmic reticulum storage sites in the cell. This may stimulate more powerful muscle contractions for anaerobic or power sports.

Sounds like alot more than just a water-loss pill (diuretic), huh?
  #265   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:11

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I suggest we move on in this discussion. I was going to reply the other day but I am glad I did not.

No one here who has studied weight loss to any degree believes that a "Pill" alone is going cause significant weight loss. There is no magic. It's a combination of eating differently and exercise. Supplements can however with some people help them get past stalls in there weight loss efforts. I know, I been one of them. I did not die.

However, throughing ones academic credentials around and making statements of fact without any studies or research to back them up is as irresponsible as well. We respect the right for anyone to make and state an opinion.

I think we have stated many times that these supplements are not for everyone. Everyone's body reacts differently. We always recommend doing the research and proper study on these supplements before taking them.

As to academic credentials in general I had an MD tell me that I should consider stomach bypass surgery and that LC dieting is dangerous. After reading the various complications of this surgical procedure, which include blood clots, infection, and death. I decided that education does not always equal wisdom.

Regards,
Lux
  #266   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Re: Foolishness!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sonikrx
"You can take the pills that contain Ephedra and Caffeine if you want to DIE!!!"

What a moronic ignorant comment Countless studies have shown its usefulness in losing weight, without everyone dying. Our healthcare system really is in sad shape
  #267   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:30

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Default suggestion??

I have a very very very sluggish metabolism and am considering one of the EC stacks, which one does everyone consider to be the best, and I don't need replies from anyone that is against them I have studied the effects and am still making the choice.

I am considering Ripped Fuel but if there is one that is better I would love to know...
  #268   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 07:50
Registered Member

I myself I use Xenadrine EFX (ephedrine free). I like it because it doesnt make me jittery and I am noticing that it is helping with my reshaping. But there are several good ones, got to find one that is good for you.

Good Luck.......

Pammysue
  #269   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I like Spirojet so far. I have to admit, I've never used thermo's properly - meaning at the full dosages or throughout the day as frequently as they say to. It's always been in the morning or before workouts, and for energy slumps or in driving emergencies. (where it's either sleep or take something stronger than coffee)
Anyway, I have been losing size painfully slowly over the last year, despite pretty consistent diet and exercise and over the last um, 2-3 weeks there seems to be a noticable shrinkage going on which is surprising me because my diet and exercise has been less consistent and intense than ever (meaning since the beginning of the year when I started monitoring things)
I'll keep an update on it, but the other thing I like about it is that every other thermo has given me a brain fog. My body would be jittery, and ready to do something but my brain was in a cloud. Now I'm just wired, full of energy, alert and don't seem to have the crashes that I do with coffee or other thermos.

Meg
  #270   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 08:57

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/

I went to GNC last night and talked with the guy there, he said if I am trying to build muscle along with weight loss use the Ripped Fuel. He recommended either Hydroxycut or Xenadrine for thermogenic weight loss. He said his wife didn't have any luck with the Hydroxycut but had great luck with Xenadrine, so I opted for the Xenadrine. He said it is great with getting your weight loss a jump start... Jump starts to me work best because when I see weight loss fast in the beginning I can stay with it even if the rest of the loss is a bit slower. He also recommended 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. I was a bit jittery about an hour ago and do feel a bit "different" today. I should have taken the half dose, but it will pass and this afternoon's dose I will only take the half dose (1 tab as opposed to 2)

Notes: usually by now I am starving (usually due to morning fatigue) and the thought of eating right now turns my stomach.

I am also thirsty, this is good too because consuming enough water has always been a downfall.

I feel like I want to exercise like a maniac right now!!! (very unusual for me I've been winded from walking from the car thru the parking lot to the grocery store I am soooo out of shape)

Meg, you mention lately that you are noticing shrinkage, I assume that is from the Spirojet???