Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:41

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 346/240/225
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Re: ECA Frequency

I have 2 quick frequency questions for ya Dan.

Re: Easing into an ECA stack. Does this apply every time you start using the product or just the 1st time? Let's say it's been a few weeks or even months since my last dose. I already know I can handle the full dose so is it safe to resume with 4 pills a day, or should I do a few days at half dose to give my system a chance to adjust?

Secondly, If I decide to resume my Xenadrine RFA use I'm going to be really infrequent. I've read a few places that no more than 3 days a week is recommended so my plan is M-W-F (the days of my workouts) for a month, then 2-3 month break. Just curious if you think it's Ok to do the On/Off/On/Off thing throughout the week or if I'm better using it 3 days straight (better for results and better for my system. Alternating days when my blood pressure is higher/lower/higher/lower seems a little more dangerous than higher for 3, lower for 4, etc.).

Thanks for your time

Anthony
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:48

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default on you

When I come off EC/NYC stacks and go back on, I usually start back at the full dose. That is just what I have observed to be the case for my body.

The safe answer is to start low and increase whenever you first come back on.

As for cycling EC stacks, I go a full 12 weeks with a 5 on/2 off pattern. Then I lay off for a few months, which is what I am about to do now ... go off for a while.

I think I am gonna switch to an ephedra free formula (Xenadrine EFX I think) just to help fend off fat loss in the off-season. LOL.
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:54

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 346/240/225
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Re: on you

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
As for cycling EC stacks, I go a full 12 weeks with a 5 on/2 off pattern.

What do you think of my 1 on/1 off/1 on/1 off/1 on/2 off pattern?
lol

My logic is if I'm only using it 3 days those days should be my workout days. But my logic and what's good for ya aren't necessarily the same.

Anthony
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 10:00

Default well

If you are only going to use it 3 days, then they should be your workout days.

But, EC stacks work by raising metabolism and increasing lipolysis. If you are gonna be on a stack, you should want these to happen as often as possible.

5 on/2 off is enough time off per week to prevent dependency issues, as well as giving your adrenal system a break.

You can try the 3 day a week approach and let us know how it goes. I have never tried it that way. When I'm on, I'm on. LOL.

#215   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:40

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Ok, got my digital thermometer, notebook, and pencil beside the bed. Picked up Diet Fuel while at store getting thermometer last night. Took temperature this morning 97.1, would seem to indicate metabolism is sluggish ? Started ECA Stack this morning. Took a full 3 pill dose this morning, no sweating or anything unusual, does body size impact dosage ?
  #216   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 14:01

BF:

I saw a source posted for NYC stack. I found a product from SportsOne called Phenyl XL that seems to be an NYC. Seems most vendors have convertered over to EYC using ma hung? Any recommendations on source and product ?
  #217   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 18:20

Default well ...

The NYC stack at anabolicfitness.com is the best price I have seen ...

and there is also phenyl-kinetics which is available at www.infinityfitness.com.

Here's the link for AF's NYC stack

Here's the link for phenylkinetiks

Both are good.
  #218   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:34

BF:

I should have included a link to this but it looks like a NYC stack. Discount Nutrition has it for $14.95 plus $7.95 shipping.

Phenyl XL Discount-Nutrition.com
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 04:30

Default yep

Yes it is. I misunderstood you in your original post. I thought you were saying that they used epehdrine in it, making it a ECY stack ... which isn't as effective.

That's the cheapest I've seen for a NYC stack.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 10:41

Plan: Low carb low fat
Stats: 155/152/135
BF:
Progress: 15%
Smile RippedFuel

My boyfriend is an active weight trainer and cyclist. He uses rippedfuel for his workouts with great success. He takes them about 30-40 minutes beforehand. I don't do well with them, they make me jittery. I did very good with Diet fuel made by the same company. It wasn't quite as strong for me. I didn't get jittery like the ripped fuel made me. Just a suggestion.
He also used to take Hydroxycut pills too, they worked well, just expensive to stay on. He took about 12 daily...which really adds up quickly on the pocket book. Xenadrine is another he had taken, the only side effect I noticed with him was if he didn't take them everyday, he had a caffeine withdrawl headache. JUST like clockwork. They are not as strong as the ripped fuel, though.

Of course it depends on your body. Everyone is different.

My brother had major anxiety on some of these pills, but my boyfriend does great on them. Depends on you.

Oreosmama
  #221   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:11

Default Ripped Fuel

It's funny how the different products effect people ...

Ripped Fuel turns me into Mr. Nasty ... VERY moody (well, even more than usual anyway ) ...

Hydroxy is overpriced. I usually go with Xenadrine RFA, then I switch off to AdipoKinetix (or another NYC when I finally run out of Adipo) after a month or so.

I seem to do best on Xenadine RFA of all the ECA stacks.

The old-school ephedrine hcl & Vivarin shut my appetite down too much, so I left that behind. Worked well though.
  #222   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%

Hey there Trainer Dan,

Ordered you book, waiting to get it. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days.

I have been stalled for 3 weeks now. Iam taking xenadrine EFX, but had to go off for a week because I was on an antibiotic. But I am back on it. I am drinking about 60 ounces of water a day. Exercising in kind of off, trouble finding time. ( I know no excuse).

Well I will just hang in there and wait for your book.

Thanks

Pammysue
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/304/200
BF:38%/38%/20%
Progress: 15%
Unhappy Need for supplements

Hi! My name's Rudi and I would have to say that I am very concerned after reading this discussion.

Please bear with me if you can because I'm trying to give the best picture possible of my background and why I am concerned about the need for supplements with the LC diets.

All of the Atkins hoopla says that you have no trouble keeping the weight off because you never increase really the amount of carbs. Now I read form Nat that despite LCing and plenty of exercise, her metabolism is very low. Trainer Dan feels it neccessary to go on ephedrine-laced supplements to stay pumped up, despite CKD trimming him down?

If I stay on this WOE for years, will I eventually have to do even more tricks to my metabolism than Atkins to keep the weight off? Personally, I am against these supplements because I don't know how you can ever stop taking them. Once you stop, doesn't the weight just come back on? What will happen in 10 or 20 years when you don't want to put up with taking the supplements anymore, cyclically or not?

Let me give you some background: I went on a similar diet to Atkins about 5 years ago for six months and lost 50 lbs, which went back on plus interest since then, in spite of watching what I ate and exercising. I just went back on Atkins last Monday and have lost 7 pounds so far. I feel great, energized, and am committed to doing this for years. I know that my metabolism changed when I was on the diet and that after my body believed I was "starving", the weight was definitely going to come back on.

HOWEVER, five years ago when I went off Atkins, I had decided to work at my body image and stop the cycle of weight loss and re-gain, to love myself. I was 230 lbs at the time I went off the diet, with a body fat % of 21. My LBM was about 180, and for a woman at 5'6", that LBM is kind of impressive, I think. I have always worked about a lot (cardio mostly 5-6 days/week) and have built up this muscle mass over time. I have a large frame with heavy bones, and that is not just an excuse for being fat -- I inherited my dad's frame, and he was a typical defensive football player with the huge shoulders and everything. The muscle mass just allows me to move this heavy body through all the things that I make it do.

Now I am 316 lb and have an LBM of 196, which would mean that my target would be about 240. However, I am hoping that with a lower body mass, the need for all that muscle would lessen and I would also lose a little bit of the muscle mass.

After I went off Atkins, I really worked on my body image and said to myself that it would be okay to be fat, that I would be okay with myself no matter what I looked like. I worked hard at stopping eating when I was full and putting my all into exercising consistently. I did have ankle surgery 3 years ago which held me down for a while, but I am still confused at my body. I feel betrayed that I tried to live the healthiest I could and have continued to add more pounds every year. I'm not saying I have been perfect, but I don't feel I should be this overweight and still gaining.

So, if I do Atkins for a few years with my metabolism, will I start eventually to gain back the weight even despite staying on the diet? Will I have to resort to these supplements to effectively keep the weight off? Does anyone else have experience with a body like mine?
  #224   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Welcome Rudi-Bega -

I can feel for you.

I finally hit rock bottom in April and I knew that I had to do something. I started doing the Atkins program to the tee. I lost so far about 32 pounds. Now I am also taking the Xenedrine EFX . I started taking the product because do to my life style with running constantly with my husband/kids. I can not eat 4-5 meals a day and also sometimes eat the wrong things. I resolved myself to the fact that I love this diet (no diet - new way of life) but I have to adapt it to my lifestyle. When I take the EFX then if I happen to grab a hot dog with the bun because I am in the car, then I know that the EFX is going to help me fight the extra carbs. I know that I will still loose pounds, about 7-8 pounds a month. Like I stated before this is a way of life.

I did a lot of research on these products. I liked the Xenadrine EFX because it does not have caffenne in it. I dont like that jittery feeling. I am going to take it 10-12 weeks on and then take 4 weeks off. I was just off it for 2 weeks because I had to take an antibiotic. I did not gain any weight.

You just have to do your research and do what you feel is good for you and your body. Talk to everyone here. Everyone is very helpful. Trainer Dan is a good one to talk to.

Well good luck to you, hope you find your answers. One thing that I firmly believe in is that this is not a diet, its a life style change. I have changed my eating habits and I will not ever go back. Yes I will have a piece of pizza or a piece of bread here and there and I will not feel bad about it. No I will not sit down and eat 2 sandwiches or go to McDonalds and get a BigMac or sit down and eat half a pizza and some chips. And yes I will drink my WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER untill I float.....

Well enough rambling on and on. Hope you find your answers...

Pammysue
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 07:46
Registered Member

WHERE HAS EVERYONE BEEN????????????

Everyone go off their diets???????????

I feel so alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pammysue