Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 03:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Josie, I ordered Basic #3 and Essential Oils from Atkins, and also L-Carnitine. That's a lot of vitamins, hope it does me some good

Do the Essential Oils pills leave a bad taste in your mouth? I have heard people say that fish oil pills sometimes have a nasty taste.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 08:43

BF:

Hi y'all, just wanted to follow up and tell you that I seem to be un-stalled finally ... I stopped eating the muffins, reduced cheese a bit and added more vegetables. And I've lost 1 1/2 pounds in the past couple of days!

Thanks so much Lisa and Teri for being a voice of sanity, reminding me not to get so worked up and to just let it happen in its own time. It really doesn't matter how fast I lose weight. What matters is that for the first time in five years I'm going in the *right* direction, and my body feels better than it has in a long time. This way of eating is great!

Yay!!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:04
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hurray for YOU!!!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:42

Plan: protein power
Stats: 236/172/130
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Re: avocados

Quote:
Originally posted by lisak17
Ladies - help!! I am also not losing like i would like to so i have decided to add more fat to my diet. i got a great idea and went to the grocery store to buy an avocado for the first time in my life. I took it home and was so excited to put in on my salad.

How in the world do you cut into these things? How in the world do you slice it? Help!! It doesn't look anything like the avocado i get on my salads in a restaurant. what am i doing wrong?

i know this might seem like a silly question to some but i have never been so confused by a piece of food in my whole life.

Just a few thoughts about you avocado diffuculties...

Are you sure it was ripe? They should yield to gentle pressure but not be mushy. Nothing is harder to peel/slice successfully than an unripe avocado! Most of the avocados I find in the store are not ripe and need to sit a few days before they're ready to eat.

There's also a trick for removing the pit: hold the avodcado half in the palm of your hand and smack the pit sharply with the blade of a sharp knife. The knife blade should be partly embedded in the pit......then give the knife a twist and the pit should come right out. Again, this doesn't work very well if you avocado is rock hard. Also, you should make the initial slice around the avocado from "pole to pole" and not around the "equator".

As to storage of a cut avocado,I have always stored the half with the pit in it (seems to help it stay fresh longer) in saran wrap with lemon juice. I lay the avocado cut side upon a large piece of wrap, squeeze a tablespoon or so of lemon juice on it, turn the avocado over and pull the saran wrap up into a tight twist. That way the cut side is in a lemon juice "bath". Mine keep well in the refrigerator for several days this way.

I love avocadoes and eat them regularly....hope this helps.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 16:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you. Thank you. I actually went to the store and bought very small ones and left them out. i thought maybe the small ones would be easier than the larger ones. i will try them tomorrow and see if they are better. I will definitely take your advice. Thanks again.

Lisa
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:01
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Talking

SarahO!!! One word: YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 06:19

BF:

thanks!! you guys & this whole board are wonderful. It's been so nice to come here for information & encouragement.

And I lost another half pound this morning! The weird thing is, according to the time of month I should have gained a couple of days ago. Not that I'm complaining

Now that I'm unstalled and got my vitamins in order, my next goals are 1. to make myself eat a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner; 2. to start increasing my daily carbs.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 06:25

BF:

Lisa -- be sure you have California avocados (also called Haas). Those are the smaller ones with dark skin. Florida avocados are higher in net carb. They're larger, with bright green skin. Also I think Florida avocados have a smoother skin but it's been a while since I've seen one.

Bcoz, those are great tips about using the knife to remove the pit, and lemon juice to prevent browning! I bet the lemon juice adds a nice flavor too. I have been jabbing the pit with my fingernail and prying it loose. Which works fine but is a bit gross
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default avocado

I actually ate one today the exact way you told me and it was terrific. very yummy. i figured it is best to eat 1/2 cup and i sprinkled it over my salad.

thanks!
Lisa