Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 22:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Atkins suggests that you do the fat fast, then do the modiffied one for a week after.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:21

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have a very hick question - is pate the same as liverwurst? or brawnsweiger?

THanks
k
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:58

Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i dont do the pate, i like the sour cream with olives best. another quick note, my mom and i did a modified fat fast afterwards that way you dont crave so much i think. my mom actually has done this for awhile and she will for awhile have a couple of these a day and have a normal low carb dinner. she says it helps with craving starchy stuff afterwards. the last fat fast she did she lost the last 12 pounds she needed to weigh 125 so now she is just on maintenance and doing great. it is great to see my mom at a size 4 again.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 23:25

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Brickie-
regarding your Mom, she lost 12 on the fat fast... how long was she on it?
take care,
M-
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 08:10

Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

she was on it for 5 days. then she does the modified fast of her own that she eats 2 meals of just protein then one meal with a salad good luck
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

How many calories...1000. Is that right? Is the fat needed to keep you full or does it help you lose weight. If it is to lose weight how does that work? I have read DANDR but I can't remember why the fat helps you lose weight. I'm always looking to learn more about lc'ing.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:52

Plan: stress & low carb
Stats: 298/242/175 Female 5' 7
BF:WAY/ TOO/ MUCH
Progress: 46%

ok perhaps someone can help. I read the search on atkins for fat fast and i have a few questions. Can i eat example: scrambled eggs and taylor ham for breakfast? can i have ketchup, salt or pepper?

for lunches and dinner can i have: steak, chicken, for lunch or dinner?

Maybe someone can give me some sample menus of what to eat. Im kinda a fussy eater so i dunno if i can do this fast...
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Jan, thanks for the great FF ideas!

they gave me the motivation to do the fat fast, I've never really tried it and haven't understood it too well. This thread has helped me understand it better.

I've just been bouncing back and forth between 126 and 128 for about a week--very frustrating!--maybe the FF will help.

will check back in with the results!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 16:17
Registered Member

Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

can you have coffee?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 16:31

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

The fat fast did NOT work for me..I felt starving all the time. One needs ample protein to feel full and one egg doesn't do it. Besides, VAgirrl with only 8 lbs to go, I think all this is silly for you..the chances are even if it worked you could gain it back once you eat reasonably again.

I know someone who was on a 4 YEAR stall but stuck to Atkins for the health benefits...and she has about 50 lbs to lose..anyway, she has suffered from sleep apnoea and her doctor told her to raise her bed or use a pillow that elevates you. She did, and dropped 15 pounds in a couple weeks with out changing anything else.
My point being that there are many reasons for stalling- from your body just resetting a set point, to hormone issues, to sleep apnoea. Most people seem to do things like fat fasts because they haven't really adopted a WOL mentality and are still 'dieting' with the accompanying low frustration tolerance when the scale doesn't drop.

The best thing you could do for yourselves is to put the scales in your neighbor's closet and just eat this way. Check out your body fat index at the gym in a month, not your weight.

Just my opinion of course.

Val
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress: 20%

Here is ALL the information about the Fat Fast
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html
What to eat, portions, how often to eat, the works.

It DID work for me. I am metabolic resistant and it knocked me right into ketosis. It was also doctor supervised. Everyone is different. What works for one person may not work for another.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Val, thanks for your input, I respect your opinion but a little encouragement would have helped more. As a newcomer to the board, it's a little daunting to have another member be, shall we say, less than encouraging.

I don't think that just because I have 'only' 8 lbs to go, it would be silly for me to try FF. After all, this thread was started by someone who had 8 lbs to lose and FF helped. And that motivated me to try it.

today's the first day...wish me luck!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Beh! If you're in tune with your body there is nothing wrong with doing a fat fast. 1000 calories is not insane, we're just trained in this culture to think that if we're not stuffed then we haven't eaten enough.

If you want to do a fat fast just pay close attention to what's going on. If you're feeling light headed and ill - have some more food that day! a salad with egg in it, half a steak.. If you feel fine, but a little tired and run down, well that's normal when you're at a caloric deficit. Have some green tea to help pep you up and try to stay away from diet pop. You also don't have to stick to only nuts, or only cream cheese if you want to do a fat fast. Mine generally include more protein than recommended mainly because I'm very active.

I'll eat small spinach salads with an egg in them, bites of peanut butter, brie cheese, and beef broccoli with no sauce from the chinese place across the st. eggs... Not strictly a fat fast no, but 70-80% fat seems to work well too.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:47

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

VAgrrl, sorry to sound un- encouraging. Having followed this board for some time now, I have just found that a lot of people think they are stalled when they have little weight to lose..it is a fact that the majority of people underestimate their goal weight, and the body just resists. Sometimes this is due to a history of yo-yo dieting, sometimes it is just that for periods of time, especially for the last few lbs, it is slow going indeed. It is typical for newbies to get on the scales almost daily, and after the initial elation of having lost whatever they lost, that the scales stop moving, sometimes for weeks. Then we hear "help! I am stalled" etc. when they are not, really. One must be at the same weight for months to truly call it a 'stall.' As for what breaks stalls, I would say maybe 50% of people who do fat fasts find it works better than just waiting, others report having tried some supplement or other, some do a carb binge day (which also works for about half who try it) or having increased their exercise, or some, like the person I was discussing, stalled for 4 years, it was sleep apnoea.

So what I was trying to encourage was not desperate measures to lose 8 pounds, and a fat fast is hardly very healthy...I came to this when I tried it, and felt awful, and hungry.. but to keep focussed on low carbing as a WOL, which it must become if you are to avoid putting all the weight back on.

Good luck with it anyway.

Val
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 07:49

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin (Barry
Stats: 238/152/138 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/32%/24%
Progress: 86%
Default Starting fat-fast tomorrow

Going to try the fat fast for 3 days, starting tomorrow. Too late to start it today and can't continue through to Friday as I'm going out for dinner for my da's 50th! Here's my plan: (I'm quite a fussy/restricted eater so don't like many things on Atkins list of suggestions)

715am - 2 streaky bacon (fried in lard), 30g philadelphia soft cheese

1015am - 12.5g dry roasted nuts, 30g cheddar cheese

1pm - 100g cucumber dipped into 25g sour cream & chive sauce, 12.5g dry roasted nuts

330pm - 30g cheddar cheese and coffee with 12.5g cream

630pm - 2oz beef burger (fried in lard), 15g mayo

Including 10g lard, this equates to 1055 calories, 43g protein (16.3%), 7.2g carbs (2.7%) and 95g fat (81%).

I'll let you all know how I get on! Just hope I can stick it ok. It's not far off how I eat anyway, but its just alot less!

Julie