Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:11

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default How many times repeat circuit?

Hi guys. I still need to dig out my book that I bought a few years ago, but from reading this and the BFL website I am under the impression that I do 2 exercises per body part, wait 2 minutes before moving on to another body part and then repeat the entire circuit 5 times for upper body and 4 times for lower. This seems like it will take forever. Do you all really do the circuit so many times? I normally do 3 sets of 15 reps per exercise so this will put me at 30 sets per body part (granted less reps). Thanx.

--Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:31
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Look under the BFL sticky on top. There should be a link to a pdf you download to show how many reps to do of each exercise.

You only do one circuit. Starting at a lower weight to warm up you do 1 set of 12, wait a min, 1 set of 10, wait one min, 1 set of 8 wait one min, set of 6, wait one min and do a set of 12. You pp the weight amount each time until you are working out at level 9 intensity. After your last set of reps you move strait into another exercise for that body part (preferably an isolated one) and do one set of 12 reps. During that last set you should be working at level 10 intensity. After you do that one set you wait 2 mins then move on to the next muscle group.

The entire workout takes less then an hour. You do the circuit once, the idea being the pyramid intensity makes it more effective and efficient. The cardio days only last 20 mins.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 17:35

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thank you Ladybelle. I'm not sure why this print out says to repeat 5 times...I got it off the BFL website. I just returned from doing an upper body workout following the BFL principle. One circuit took me 45 minutes, which I heard is about right...so I figured there's no way they could mean for you to do it 5 times. I did repeat the chest but since I had done it to exhaustion the first time I felt like I was going to hurt myself if I did it again so I stopped. Didn't attempt to repeat anything else. I liked the workout though...definately went to fatigue.

I have another question. Say you're up to doing 8 reps and you're pretty tired and you only feel like you can do 6 more at the same weight...is it ok to do the 6 without going up in weight? Also, the only sets you are not resting b/w are the final 12 on the first exericise and the 12 on the new one, right? You do rest b/w the 6 and the 12, right?

Thanx for the help! I definately think I can make in in 6 days/week if I'm not having to spend hours in there each day to get results!

--Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 18:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cindy, yes, you rest inbetween the 6 and the 12, and there's no rest between the two 12s (going from one exercise to the second).

If you find that 8 is too heavy and you wont be able to lift a heavier weight for 6 you should move the weight down for the next workout - this is why keeping track on paper is so helpful. It allows you to plan that workout in advance and record your progress.

If you click on the sticky above (BFL Hot Links!) you'll find a link explaining how a workout should go - how many reps to do, when to rest and how heavy the weights should be relative to hitting failure.

Best,
Nat