Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-12, 02:52

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 208/190/168 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Banting, do you count carbs or calories?

I count carbs. I have found that when I go to the supermarket, I have to take my reading glasses, so that I can read the small print and check out the carbs in foods I have not eaten before while on diet. To my surprise I found a tasty tofu burger recipe in Rose Elliot's book. I never thought I would say that tofu was tasty: the recipe is largely made from tofu and tvp/tsp. I eat a burger with her veggie Caesar salad recipe - brilliant.

Last edited by Banting : Mon, Mar-19-12 at 02:58. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 03:00

Plan: vegetarian
Stats: 168/168/112 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress:

Zoe Harcombe is not a vegetarian, she used to be one,
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 04:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for the correction. Zoe Harcombe says that in her Phase 1 program video, but her current writings do seem to lean more Paleo. Maybe her earlier books would have tips on low carb vegetarian plans? Her blog is well written and interesting:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/blog/
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 04:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Walnut.. thanks so much for that link to the blog of Lierre Keith. I found her speaking about this issue on YouTube, and she is really so switched on and knowledgeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

I'm really interested in the environment and the ethical topics she raised, and I am delighted to have broadened my horizons by my exposure to her political awareness and experience.

Thanks again.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 12:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Foods I have picked up recently that are reasonably low carb:

from TJ's: Tofu patties - yum and only 7 carbs each. Also their Sausage-less Sausage is 6 carbs. Very filling.

The "Smart" products are pretty low carb, too; Smart Dogs are only 2 carbs each. They also have SmartGround, a ground beef sub. I also picked up a faux chorizo, as I like chorizo and eggs. Just hit your local health food store and head for the tofu section. Or ask...they might have it in a different area.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and Sustainability

http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm

This woman was vegan, NOT vegetarian. Her argument is against veganism!! She rails against flour and sugar which no low carb vegetarian eats. She talks abut how good eggs are, which vegetarians eat. She's also against grain fed beef (Do you eat only grass fed???) She talks about how low fat diets are terribly detrimental...again, vegetarian diets are not low fat.

Why post this? Really. Read the OP. She asked for help with a vegetarian diet. NOT for this crazy anti-vegan stuff.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 12:43

Now she is saying agriculture scrapes all living matter including bacteria from the earth. *shakes head* She's totally against agriculture. Have fun foraging and hunting!

"Plural packs of wolves" ("all these rare animals") have returned to Chernobyl: her evidence that the earth wants to be forest and grasslands, etc. and not agricultural. "A nuclear disaster is better for the planet than civilization" (because the wolves came back?)...except for the "old women of Chernobyl" who still live there, and "they're not hurtin' anything."

They don't eat? Whatever.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 02:59

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacingIt
Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new here. I've never been a fan of diets (basically because they make me obsessed with food!) but my weight has been creeping for the last few years and I've finally decided to do something about it and I'm pretty sure diet (rather than lack of activity) is my main problem.

It would be good to find a plan I could easily stick to, but there doesn't seem to be too much out there for vegetarians wanting to go low carb. I don't want to go ultra low as I exercise quite a bit (strength work in the gym and long distance running) so I think I might need/get away with a certain amount of carbs. I've read the Atkins book, but it doesn't seem too veggie friendly and I've found that I need to eat more carbs than he recommends to have the energy to exercise. Also, I don't really like the idea of eating lots of cheese - I do eat eggs and dairy products, but no meat or fish.

Any recommendations would be great. I live in the UK and have about 10lbs to lose.

I would highly recommend Rose Elliott's book The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet. Her low carb vegeburgers are great. I make a batch of 8 and freeze them without cooking them, then fry them in the frozen state. I hated tofu till I tried these. My own preference is to work out a diet plan for one day and eat the same meals (varying the salads) every day. That way I don't need to think about food all the time. Don't worry about the number of eggs you eat - get your cholesterol tested, you'll find it doesn't go up. It's a pity you don't like cheese, because some cheeses are zero carbs e.g. camembert, Emmental etc. Personally I love Cheddar. Have a good breakfast: I have 2 eggs, fresh spinach (not frozen) and mushrooms, all fried in butter. Enjoy eating all fresh food and avoid the processed rubbish. There are quite a few zero carb treats. I now have a diet-free day on Saturdays. Allow yourself a glass of wine or spirits occasionally - just one glass!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 03:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Grass-Fed Girl, a paleo nutritionist, has an article in her latest newsletter "how to keep healthy as a vegetarian" with a recipe e-book that looks good. Recipes are soy-free and gluten-free, some should be lowish in carbs as well. http://www.grassfedgirl.com/6-ways-...-plus-giveaway/
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-13, 04:22

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacingIt
Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new here. I've never been a fan of diets (basically because they make me obsessed with food!) but my weight has been creeping for the last few years and I've finally decided to do something about it and I'm pretty sure diet (rather than lack of activity) is my main problem.

It would be good to find a plan I could easily stick to, but there doesn't seem to be too much out there for vegetarians wanting to go low carb. I don't want to go ultra low as I exercise quite a bit (strength work in the gym and long distance running) so I think I might need/get away with a certain amount of carbs. I've read the Atkins book, but it doesn't seem too veggie friendly and I've found that I need to eat more carbs than he recommends to have the energy to exercise. Also, I don't really like the idea of eating lots of cheese - I do eat eggs and dairy products, but no meat or fish.

Any recommendations would be great. I live in the UK and have about 10lbs to lose.

Hi Facing it,
I am using Tim Ferris's book, The 4 hour body. He is very much into sport but is not vegetarian. However I had little problem adapting the diet and I never get hungry! I love the glass of wine at the endo of the day and the pig-out day at the weekend. I have also found Rose Elliot's books on diet useful. Tim Ferris says you don't need to read the whole book and directs you to the best bits for you. Hope this helps.