Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 198/187/139
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default UK - US dress sizes

Does anyone else here have the same problem as me? A gasp of disbelief when one of our Candian or US compatriots mentions themselves (or skinny friends) in a size 4- 6 dress?

You probably knew this already but for those who didn't, I found a lil' table that gives the conversions, and also the measurements we are "supposed" to be for each size.

http://www.mapledrive.com/help/usdresssize

Trouble is, this means that I, being apple-shaped, am 16- 18 bust and hips, and about a size 30 waist

Herald
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Herald,

Many thanks for this - I always thought they were one size below us. Now I can boast that I'm a size 8, lol!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hey thanks for that.

Looks like NZ is similar to UK. It's so nice to know that you are two sizes smaller than you thought

How does Canada compare with this?
Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:14

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you!

That's a useful little table to have, Herald, thanks for posting the link.
Zan
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 01:20

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Comparison

Yippee for those on this side of the pond. Not such a good "feel-good" factor for those in US .... but that is only if I compare myself to others.

The only true comparison is when I compare my size today to my size yesterday - Thanks for reminding me of that again Herald.

Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 193/160/150
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default UK sizes

I mentioned this in another thread, but . . . Even having dropped a couple sizes, I find shopping in the UK disconcerting. Before starting L/C, I was a US 16. Now, I'm about US 12-14. I recently visited London - Oxford Street, Selfridges. I couldn't find anything to go over my hips. I'm pair shaped, so I just buy sweaters and shoes when I visit London. When I was in Berlin, Germany last May (again, before L/C), I couldn't even buy a woman's jacket. It was cold and I hadn't brought a jacket or umbrella, so I had to buy a man's jacket. I was with friends (a very abrasive German guy and his thin girlfriend) and I was incredibly embarrassed. My friend ( I sometimes wonder about my use of this word) lectured me in the store about losing weight. "Mortified" does not go far enough to describe my feelings.

How do women who are not Heidi Klum or Liz Hurley shop in Europe?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 01:33

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Do you not have this problem in US?

I'm pear shaped too. I have exactly the same problem.

My solution was to learn to sew or buy whatever fits at the hips and alter clothes to fit me. It is a pain. My first criteria when I look at any ready clothes is how easily I could alter it to fit me.

If you think about it most of the designers are men (no disrespect intended) using Ally McBeal as their dummies to fit the clothes on. Half the population (especially the women) just do not belong to that group.

{My friend ( I sometimes wonder about my use of this word) lectured me ...} lecture is a well used word in my family circle too! It conveys the meaning instantly, better than any other. On an international Forum I am careful as it is open to lead to misunderstanding. Take no notice of the lecture Ororo. We pear-shaped ones are ideally designed for babies! I reckon God forgot the day would come when women would be doing a whole lot more and spending very little time (if any) in their life span to childbirth!!

Do you not have this problem in the States?

Take care.