Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Emma & Shaz

In the UK polyols are listed as carbs, BUT in the US they aren't SO I tend to look at the carb count deduct the amount of polyols (in this case it is listed as maltitol) and count the balance as carbs. Polyols do raise blood sugar slightly but according to the Glycemic Research Institute they are glycemically acceptable. They are marketed towards diabetics. They are probably about the same as the American low carb chocolate bars which are advertised as anything from 1 - 4 carbs - carbolite etc, again because US products don't have to list polyols as carbs. Not allowed on induction. Try one and see how you go. They don't set off carb cravings for me but YMMV. Only use as a special treat though. Let me know how you get on.

Tina
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Boots Chocolate

Went out to buy the Boots diabetic chocolate and they no longer do it here because diabetic products are no longer considered suitable for diabetics and they found it was causing problems as a laxative!

Foiled again - I'll look out for another brand.
Shaz
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Shaz

That is strange as the Boots near me have expanded the range of diabetic chocolate and now include white chocolate!

I will be devastated if they stop selling it!

Try Thorntons diabetic chocolate bar, I think it is 85g, try eating half and see how you get on. Also most home made chocolate shops do a sugar free range although they are more expensive. There are also sugar free chocolate websites selling a range of products. Look up sugar free chocolates on a search engine, I think there is one called www.sugarfreechocolate.com or similar.
I bought a really nice chocolate and hazelnut spread from one of these and I used it to spread on my almond flour muffins.

Cocoabear
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:02
Registered Member

BF:

thanks, I'll check out the website and have a look at the Boots in Cardiff next time I go - maybe they will have it - I adore white chocolate.

I did get hold of a bar of organic dark chocolate from co-op today. It is a100g bar and contains 84g carbs - this seemed reasonable - but I will look for better.

Shaz

ps are the almond flour muffins nice? - where could I get the recipe? I have been getting frustrated with the recipe sites because I have been trying to track down the Atkins bread recipe without success. It seemed a lot simpler than most of the recipes and I can't get hold of the book again.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Shaz
I don't but normal chocolate because I am addicted and eat the whole bar in one go!

Mufffins

melt 25 g butter, whisk in two eggs, mix separate bowl 100g ground almonds, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence and sweetener to taste. Mix dry and wet ingredients to combine - I use an electric whisk for about a minute.

You can add cocoa powder and some nuts, orange or lemon oil, ginger, whatever you want really that is low carb. I chop and layer a couple of strawberries or raspberries sometimes.

Bake 20 - 25 mins in muffin tins at 180oC.

You can omit the sweetener and vanilla and add grated cheese instead for savoury ones.

Cocoabear
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the muffin recipe - I'll give it a try at the weekend.

I really goofed on the chocolate I was telling you about - there were 85g of carb in the organic chocolate and when I looked at a bar of dairymilk today there was only 54g carb in it!

I guess no added sugar does not mean that it's low carb!

Shaz
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:09
Registered Member

Stats: 9 6/9 3/8 2
BF:
Progress:

could some one please explain to me what fibre content has to do with carbohydrate content?

if a packet of brazils says 3.1g per 100g is that not correct????

...also i dont know about chocs but boots do diabetic hard gums which are 0.6g per sweet. they are yum!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:40
Registered Member

BF:

hi Faiz,

I've been wondering the same about fibre and carbs as I read that the fibre content can be deducted from the carb content - in fact I posted a message asking a similar thing - perhaps we'll both get an answer soon.

Shaz
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 17:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default Fibre / Carbs

Check out the low carb chocolate thread - scotsman has just been explaining the carb/fibre thing for me.

Shaz
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%
Lightbulb Constipation Cure

HI

I have found a magic cure for constipation...works for me anyway! A teaspoon of nutmeg in your decaf coffee in the morning and you will be in the toilet in no time. Nutmeg is a lesser known laxative!

Good luck

Daschnook
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 04:10
Registered Member

BF:

I do love the taste of nutmeg so I'll give that a try. I must admit though I have only suffered once after a few weeks of low carbing and no problems whatsoever since.

Cocoabear
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi

I sent off for Dr Atkins cookie mix which makes lovely muffins.

It is a simple recipe (especially as I am a hopeless cook)... here it is:

One cup of the powder he sends to you which I think is simply protein powder.

Three tablespoons of mayonnaise

A half cup and two tablespoons of water

Mix all this together and dump 2inch rounds on a baking tray for 15 mins and voila ... a perfectly respectable mini-roll.

Daschnook
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 05:39

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile My constipation days are over!

Since I started LCing I must say constipation is truly a thing of the past. Haven't had one single day of it, except when I cheat and have a chocolate or some carby food!

Fenugreek (methi); ginger (fresh, ground or powder) are my cures for it. Just one or two of the dry fenugreek seeds in any stew and your movements will be a dream!

Take care.