Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 15:40

Plan: Lower Carb/BFL
Stats: 190/181/130
BF:31/??/15
Progress: 15%
Unhappy protein problem

Hi all,

I am having a hard time eating enough protein on this plan (fat/ carbs are not my problem )

Based on fitday calculations, I am averaging 25-30% protein, between 100 and 125 grams. And I am literally choking it down, at that (just finished a turkey mediterranean salad lunch).

I try to eat a pretty varied menu (posted in my journal a few days ago for any suggestions) to avoid boredom, but I don't really eat red meat or pork and can only take fish in limited amounts... and I can't stand the sight of raw meat so... it's turkey slices, chicken salad, eggs, protein shakes, cottage cheese, the occasional salmon or tuna, lentils... Oh, I'm not a huge tofu fan either -- I can eat it in miso soup or blended into something, but not stir-fried chunks of it.

Does anyone else have this problem? What else are you eating that is high protein and relatively low fat/carb? I'm really trying to up my protein to 40% and decrease fat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Babs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Babs, one serving of chicken (32g), a couple of eggs (20g) and another meal of tuna or cottage cheese (32g) is a good 84g, if you're really having that hard a time getting the numbers higher what I suggest is upping the individual servings to 40g for the CC and tuna and chicken and then use protein shakes to supplement the other 3 meals.

Make the shakes interesting; use 1/2 cup of CC and some decaf coffee with raspberries - makes it mocha and rich, and not lumpy (use a blender ).

I'm sure you'll get other options as well!
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:36

Default yum

Thanks Nat -- I will try doctoring my shakes if need be, and adding more to breakfast.

I think I also need to transition to low fat cottage cheese from full fat (as well as leaner meats, plain eggs, etc) bc that may be skewing my ratios and makes it hard for me to up protein w/out upping fat (and calories) a lot.

I may also try to space out my protein portions and eat even more frequently as part of my problem is in finishing my mini-meals in one setting... Pretty soon, I'll be strapping the feedbin around my neck!

That said, if I eat my planned dinner & snack, I will be at 164g protein / 37% calories for the day, much closer to where I wanna be.

Babs

Last edited by babette : Wed, Jan-22-03 at 19:38.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Also keep in mind, Babs, that as you get further into the program you will get hungry - growing muscle demands fuel. It'll sneak up on you one day "Wow, what's that?" - it's your tummy growling

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:32

Default Interesting

For now, I seem to altnernate between not having an appetite at all and frequently feeling a little peckish, though never ravenous.

Yesterday's stats, 138g protein, 33% calories. Didn't eat my cottage cheese snack (just not hungry), or would have done better.

Last edited by babette : Thu, Jan-23-03 at 12:43.