Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 08:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Big Avocado at it again

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...90508134529.htm

Quote:
Avocados, as a substitution for carbohydrates, can suppress hunger without adding calories

A bit of tongue-in-cheek sticking this in the War Zone, I'm fine with people eating avocado, especially if it's instead of twinkies. But yeah, of course this is funded by the Haas Avocado Board.

Quote:
A new study released by the Center for Nutrition Research at Illinois Institute of Technology suggests that meals that include fresh avocado as a substitute for refined carbohydrates can significantly suppress hunger and increase meal satisfaction in overweight and obese adults.

As rates of obesity in the United States continue to rise, the findings from Illinois Tech suggest that simple dietary changes can have an important impact on managing hunger and aiding metabolic control.

The new research, published in the peer-reviewed journal Nutrients, assessed the underlying physiological effects of including whole and half fresh Hass avocados on hunger, fullness, and how satisfied subjects felt over a six-hour period. Researchers evaluated these effects in 31 overweight and obese adults in a randomized three-arm crossover clinical trial. These dietary changes were also shown to limit insulin and blood glucose excursions, further reducing the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease by adding healthy fats and fibers into a regular daily diet.

"For years, fats have been targeted as the main cause of obesity, and now carbohydrates have come under scrutiny for their role in appetite regulation and weight control," said Britt Burton-Freeman, Ph.D., director of the Center for Nutrition Research at Illinois Tech. "There is no 'one size fits all' solution when it comes to optimal meal composition for managing appetite. However, understanding the relationship between food chemistry and its physiological effects in different populations can reveal opportunities for addressing appetite control and reducing rates of obesity, putting us a step closer to personalized dietary recommendations."

The research found that meals including avocado not only resulted in a significant reduction in hunger and an increase in how satisfied participants felt, but also found that an intestinal hormone called PYY was an important messenger of the physiological response.

The nut boards do this all the time. Almonds and walnuts have a fairly predictable effect on blood lipids, they keep funding pretty much a repeat of the same silly study, to reproduce the results and generate the same headline, and get people to buy more nuts, driving the price up. I'm glad my idea of a "healthy" fat includes beef fat and butter, if these get popular, it's a lot easier to scale up production, it's a little harder to drive the price up than for nuts and avocado.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 08:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One of the few fruits I eat regularly. I'm wondering how many studies today for a certain food aren't funded by interested parties and are completely non-biased? They don't fund my personal n=1s, but I'm always open to that.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 10:09

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Dang nab it. I wish they'd STOP putting out news reports about the benefits of eating my favorite fat-filled low-carb foods. Just drives the prices up!

#4   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 09:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
A new study suggests that meals that include fresh avocado as a substitute for refined carbohydrates can significantly suppress hunger and increase meal satisfaction in overweight and obese adults.

I'm glad I looked at the article - I was afraid they thought avocado had no carbs! I have to go easy on it because of the carbs. Since I follow Dr. Bernstein's advice & don't subtract any of the fiber, it can put my daily carb allowance over the limit. Same with nuts & cheese - those are often touted as good low carb snacks. But that only works if you can actually eat them in small amounts - which is very difficult for me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 14:19

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I think I'm allergic to avocado - if I eat on empty stomach, 30 mins later I hurt real bad, then, as soon as it came on the pain goes away. I stay away from these thing, kiwi and banana - fruits, yuck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 15:19

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This study made the news on the radio here this morning. It was written off in only a semi-serious manner though, as it would mean people having to give up bread to see the benefits, and too many people around here love their avocado on toast for that to ever happen...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 08:30

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I think I'm allergic to avocado - if I eat on empty stomach, 30 mins later I hurt real bad, then, as soon as it came on the pain goes away. I stay away from these thing, kiwi and banana - fruits, yuck!

Might you be allergic to latex?

Latex Fruit Syndrome
PubMed source

Quote:
Approximately 30-50% of individuals who are allergic to natural rubber latex (NRL) show an associated hypersensitivity to some plant-derived foods, especially freshly consumed fruits. This association of latex allergy and allergy to plant-derived foods is called latex-fruit syndrome. An increasing number of plant sources, such as avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwi, peach, tomato, potato and bell pepper, have been associated with this syndrome.

Allergen Cross Reactivity Chart - Check out the line for avocado

Last edited by NewRuth : Mon, May-13-19 at 08:38.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 10:54

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

LOVE avocados! I am so happy that avocados work with this diet. I could eat one daily......sometimes do if I can find some good ones at the market. Love them by themselves, on eggs, with tomatoes, cucumbers and feta, and of course as guacamole......helps make this enjoyable for me!............and mexican chicken, avocado and lime soup.......yum.........
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 07:49

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ruth, very interesting about latex fruit! Thanks much for the info and the link.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 11:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Turns out my cat likes avocado, too. She consumed about a half of one before I caught her red-pawed. Apparently she suffered no dire consequences other than my, um, disapproval. Not happening again!!