Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 18:23

Plan: adkins
Stats: 220/179/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default I'm confused!!!

can someone please tell me...does it matter if you do cardio first or weight training first??? I have had several differant opinions!!! I usually do my weights first then my cardio routine! is this ok or do i need to switch up? thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 18:38

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

From the thread below: Does Cardio Interfere with Strength Training?

Most people interested in fitness do cardiovascuar and strength training and want to get the most out of both kinds of workouts. Dr. Len Kravitz discussed the effects of concurrent training (doing cardiovascular exercise followed by strength training) on strength gains. Many studies, but not all, show that endurance training interferes with strength gains. New research shows that the intensity of endurance exercise did not affect strength performance, unless the muscles used to do aerobics were trained again with weights. Leg press was dramatically affected for at least eight hours after riding a bike. If you want to concentrate on strength gains, train with weights first and then do your aerobics. If you want to concentrate on cardiovascular endurance for physically-active sports, hobbies or recreational activities; train aerobically first, then hit the weights.

(from IDEA Personal Trainer, March, 2004)

J.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 21:13

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
I usually do my weights first then my cardio routine!

This is the right order. I will see if I can find the thread that explains why ... I know its around here somewhere.....

Here it is: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=188231

There are several other threads where this is talked about.

HTH

Last edited by KathyD : Fri, Jul-16-04 at 21:18.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 15:03

BF:
Default thanks!!!

thank you for the feedback guys!!! one more quick thing....toward the end of my cardio session i got light headed!!! wasnt a good thing!!! pretty scarey really!!! i ate breakfast about an hour before i worked out so i thought i would be ok!! i had an egg with cheese and a low carb yougert!!(cant spell) any suggestions for that??? thanks again!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 15:55

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Nurse4god,

You probably started depleting your glycogen. This is also called "Bonking" or "Hitting the Wall". When you exercise for your cardiovasular fitness, you are exercising the systems that handle the delivery of blood and oxygen thoughout your body, namely your heart, lungs and veins. When you are exercising your cardiovascular system "Aerobically", enough oxygen is being circulated to engage your fat-burning mode. At some point, you may have gone "Anaerobic", which means that you were exercising faster (and your heart was beating faster) than the speed at which your cardiovasular system could deliver oxygen. Aerobic means "with oyxgen", Anaerobic means "without oxygen". When you exercise anaerobically, your body switches from fat-burning mode over to glycogen-burning mode. After a period of time, you could start depleting your glycogen supply and experience some of the symptoms that you described.

The solution? Do your cardio a little slower until your aerobic capacity improves. Monitoring your heart-rate will help you gauge when your cardiovascular system goes anaerobic. It's okay for your system to go anaerobic occassionally. It's even a recommended routine. HIIT training involves occassional intervals of higher intensity (anaerobic) training as a way to improve cardiovasular fitness. You just don't want to be anaerobic for so long that you start to feel bad.

Jeff
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 09:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/170/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I'm not sure if there is a correct order but I have done cardio first for the longest time. Now since reading that resistance training should be done first. I started doing that. I can lift more when I havent done the cardio first.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 14:32

BF:
Default thanks again!!!

thanks again for the great feedback guys!!! i will definately start checking my paulse during exercise!!! thanks again for all your support!!!