Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 115/114/105
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question eating disorders?

Hey everybody,

I am wondering if anybody around here has any eating disorder and is trying a low-carb diet?

I have both anorexia and bulimia and am trying to get control over what I'm eating/not-eating with the CAD. I REALLY NEED SUPPORT!

Anybody want to buddy-up, or just share some ideas, or just TALK?

Let me know, please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Default eating disorder

i'm not sure if i have an eating disorder but its been hard for me to stop losing more weight. i guess i just don't know where to draw the line...... i'd love to buddy up with you- let me know if you just wanna bounce stuff off of me...

Moderator note:
Post edited to remove email address.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking

Hey! I just wanted to let you know, I know what you're going through. I battled bulimia and anorexia for about 5 years, before realizing that I had a problem and needed some help. I am on the Atkins diet as a healthy alternative to what I was doing before. I am a dancer, so staying slim is very important to me, but not so much as to sacrifice my health. I've maintained my weight very successfully doing Atkins and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those of us with eating disorders! Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:33
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%
Smile Quite a few of us here.....

Hi Pickles,

There are quite a few people here with eating disorders (Myself, bulimic since 11 yrs old (I'm 25 now...), was "cured", gained and then began a cycle of starving/purging for months.)

LC has really helped me start gaining control of food. (3 months "clean" so far.....)

If you want to talk or just need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 19:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/125/110
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default bulimia

i decided to go on atkins about a month ago because i realized what i was doing to my body was just too hurtful and wrong. but i have yet to win the fight against my eating disorder because every day that i dont see the scale budge, or feel that my pants are too tight, i just want to go back to my old habits of severe calorie restriction and then binging and purging. sometimes, i just don't know what's better.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 21:35

Stats: 129/125/110
BF:
Progress: 21%

I wouldn't say i have an eating disorder...just "disorderly eating". I've struggled with eating since I was 10..now i'm 20. I was semi-anorexic in junior high and througout high school went up and down 10 lbs in not so healthy ways (restrictive eating, excessive exercise, binging, purging, etc). Now, I am in my second year of college and am on the binge-eating path of my 'disorderly eating'. I am new to atkins and hoping it will help me get a handle on my eating habits and more control. I can tell it works...but I am having a hard time because i'm stuck in a dorm and food choices are limited. But, in a month I will be home for the summer and even next year I get a kitchen in my dorm...so hopefully I will be able to stick to the program better by cooking my own meals.
I am sick and tired of obsessing over my weight (esp now that I am the heaviest i've ever been). Hopefully, this will work for me and all of you suffereing with eating disorders. So goodluck to you all, and hopefully I can stick with it too.
The power of food is amazing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:46

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Eating Disorder

Hi all. I am a trying to recover bulimic. I managed to stop purging a little over 2 months ago, but the sugary binges were almost impossible for me to control. I started Atkins 11 days ago and haven't binged or wanted to since. Carbs are a trigger for me. I feel ok eating this fatty food since I am seeing results in the mirror. I am not trying to get unhealthily thin...I put on about 10 pounds once I stopped purging and continued binging. I'd like to lose that and possibly 10 more to get back to the weight I was through most of college (I'm 24 now). I think Atkins is a blessing to me b/c I believe I can overcome my addiction to carbs and stop the cycle of abuse to my body by following this WOL. Best of luck to you!

--Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 197/190/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi

I've been bulimic since like age 12. Maybe before. I'm 19 now and trying to stop. I've had anorexic episodes, where I wouldn't eat much for 3 weeks at a time.

Anyway I started atkins Monday and have already lost about 7 pounds. Crazy! Last night though I ended up eating half an Italian Ice and then some other high carb foods and then coming home and purging.

That WILL be the last time that happens.

Anyway good luck everyone.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 09:14

Stats: 200/100/90
BF:18.7%
Progress: 91%
Default Eds for 9 yrs

hey

ya ive been suffering from EDs for 9 yrs
im 20 now

i started off a compulsive overeater
then bulimia
then anorexia

im just really getting tired of it
i dont know what to do anymore
im so unhappy that i wanna die just to end it all

i guess thats why i started atkins a week ago ( june 1st)
even though im eating more and im a little happier
it scares me so much and i hate myself for even thinking of recovering
im still having second thoughts though

well have to see what happens i guess
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Stats: 158.5/154.0/122
BF:
Progress: 12%

hI GUYS,

i HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS BULEMIC BUT SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT I KNOW. I WANT TO HELP HER BUT I DO NOT WANT TO DEFEND HER. I JUST DON'T WANT SOMETHING TO HAPPEN TO HER AND THEN HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE FACT THAT I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW I COULD BRING IT UP TO HER WITHOUT OFFENDING HER.

THANKS
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 23:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins turned CAD
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 5 ft 2 or 3 in/157-160 cm
BF:30%
Progress: 33%

i think there are plenty of girls who have ed's that switched to low carb diets (myself included) and i think it's great! it's a much better way to lose weight. i'm actually thinking about my health for once! good luck to you all
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:08

Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

Ladies good luck with your diets. Whatever happens know that we are all here for you and wish you the best. As a male I know how much strain men put on women and their sizes. I just wish women were judged by the size of their hearts instead of the size of their dresses. Good luck and god bless

Battousai
one guy who looks at the heart
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 17:51

Stats: 172/167/135
BF:
Progress:
Default return to atkins from bulimia

I'm 24 and have been struggling with bulimia now since I was 13. I just made a big life move and see it progressively getting worse- it is really scaring me. I was getting really sick of the lifestyle and to stop purging started atkins. I was really worried that if I ate, since my body wasn't metabolizing the majority of what I consumed, I would gain weight. I ended up losing about 15 pounds but since my move I havent been on atkins and have began the binge/purge cycle again. Only, now it stronger than ever. I guess Im looking to chat with someone who knows where Im coming from. Thanks for listening!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/suzanne sommers
Stats: 161/158/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Oh my gosh!!! Where did you come from? You are going to heavan. You are so right...everyone should be judged on the size of their hearts and not their size. If there were more men like you, women would never have problems!
Love you,
SandraDee
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:11

Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default hmmmm

Hey,
I have landed in the LCworld as a result of ten years of ED's. However, I have found that instead of obsessing every calorie, im obsessing every carb. it still feels like it takes over my every waking moment. I dont want to give up though, because thats how I gained all this weight anyways! I got "cured" from ED's for a year and managed to go from a sz 0/2 to a 7/9. I am trying atkins as a way to damage control the gains, i guess. Just wondering if anyone else still feels a little obsessed.