Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 12:57

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Wacked out menstrual cycle

Has anyone had problems w/their menstrual cycle? I've been on the pill for a while now (years & years), and have remained on them even though they pose a risk in slowing my weight loss, due to having PCOS.

Anyhoo, I started spotting a little over a week before my cycle scheduled to start and was a little worried. I called my dr. and he said that it is probably due to starting Atkins 2 1/2 weeks ago. My period seems to be "meaner" than usual too.

Has anyone else had problems similar to this while on Atkins? Will it go back to normal? I'm just really confused as to why my b/c pills couldn't control the spotting and why it's so "mean" this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tiggerdy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Its normal

Thats good that you checked with your Dr and he's right. Its is most likely due to starting Atkins. Alot of people get break through bleeding when starting off on the WOE... I did too. The first couple of months might be a bit off but then you should go back to normal.

I never had a regular TOM till I started L/Cing. Now it comes right on time every month Its one of the best benefits I have found on this WOL.

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Lot's of us have.

If you hop over to the General Health forum and search through you can find many threads concerning this subject.

Since there are certain hormones stored in our fat cells, when we burn the fat the hormones are released and sometimes can mess our cycle up.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:22

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Mine did the same thing. However, I have some medications that help it be worse and more dramatic, but I started spotting during my ovulation so approximately 1 1/2 to 2 weeks after my cycle I would spot again. I had never had this until I started low carbing, so I think it was part of it.

Now, throughout low carbing I started the Depo, I still lost weight with it but thought it may have been helping with a slight depression I had, meaning making me more depressed so I stopped it, but while on it before one other time I never had my period, this time during Atkins and Depo, I spotted for 3 months before it finally went away for good. Then I switched to the B/C pill I was on it for 2 months, and I held on to 11 lbs more weight after the 2 months and my cravings were uncontrollable, so I went off that too. Right now I am on nothing, so I cannot tell you if my TOM will be effected my Atkins again, probably. But next year I am going back on Depo, because I don't like that visitor at all, and would rather do with out.

Anyway, good luck too you, don't fret too much about the spotting, since you spoke with your doctor, you covered the bases.

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:30

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Exclamation Wow!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I really appreciate all of you sharing your experiences with me. Being a newbie, it's nice to find out that some of the things happening to me occur "naturally" when switching to LC eating.

Thanks again!

Tiggerdy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Progress: 32%
Wink Glad to hear I am not alone

I have noticed the same thing happening to me! Now, I am glad to know nothing is wrong with me.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Unhappy Them Dang Cycles~

I only wish that LC'ing would straighten mine out! It's been since 8-19, since my last one, and I got my tubes tied last year, 50 weeks ago in fact, as KaeLyn will be 1 in two weeks. My cycles have never been so screwed up! I hate it! Not that I didn't hate it before... I hate it even more now!~
Cindy, depression is a common side effect of depo, In fact they often tell those with a history of depression to find another method of bc. There are several threads on here about depo, you may want to check them out. For me, it not only lowered my libido.. it KILLED IT! Then I had an old-fashioned quack as a dr. who told me that at 37 I should be HAPPY to lose my "drive"... women 10 yrs. older were happy to not have sex any more. I dang near went over that desk in throttle his throat mode! I said I am only 37 yrs. old, I should be in my sexual peak! This has already gone on over a year, I want a better answer than that one! He was at a loss for words I mean, it was hard enough to tell the old fart the problem in the first place, and took all the gumption I could muster... when he come back with that lame excuse... I couldn't contain the steam!! And Cindy, it was after I had been on depo after a year, that I started having probs.Check out the posts on depo and see what other women have been thru with it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 19:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%

It is quite common. I have been unfortunate enough to learn firsthand. I had a baby 14 months ago. It took me less than one month after stopping the pill to get pregnant. Prior to that, 12 years on the pill - NO irregularity at all, ever. I've been back on bcp's since he was 6 months old - no problems until I started LCing at the beginning of July. 3 months later, I am still getting TOM every 2-3 weeks. I am truly hoping it will stop. It is affecting my mood (never had PMS before, but this is truly depressing), my sex life (as in, what's that?) and even my checkbook. It gets expensive taking care of this every couple weeks!

I finally called my dr today (naturally he's not in on Fridays) and left a message. He doesn't like me - AND he's not a good dr - but we're moving in a week, so I'll be switching - so it's unlikely that he'll have any suggestions.

I truly wish you have better luck getting your cycle regular. If this continues much longer I may end up going of LC; as much as I like it, I really thought it would be back to "normal" by now. I'm having it "on" more days of the month than "off".