Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Adult 'Happy Meals' offer salad, no prize

Too little too late? At least it's a start.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet...s.ap/index.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:35

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

No doubt!!! Where is the better oil they said they would use??? What is up with the Adult Happy meal but with a Low Calorie Dressing???

Come on people!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
McDonald's promised two years ago to adopt a healthier cooking oil for its fries but Roberts said testing has yet to produce an appropriate replacement.

Why not lard?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the title was supposed to say, "no dessert," not "no prize." The prize is the pedometer!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:24
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I want a pedometer!!!

I got one once but it insisted I was walking when I was sitting around eating dinner or laying in bed, or on the computer.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lard is made with hydrogenated oil these days. Go look at a can of crisco.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Lard is made with hydrogenated oil these days. Go look at a can of crisco.

Crisco is vegetable based. Tenderflake is lard, I believe, but it's hydrogenated. I assume it's to make it last longer.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think you'll rarely find true lard any longer. That was made from a particular fat found around the... kidneys (?) of pigs. Real lard would probably make for a very expensive french fry!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 18:31

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Iceberg Lettuce

The "beef"...if you should excuse the pun, with the lettuce these fast food places use is that it's always iceberg lettuce. Do you know what the nutrition content of iceberg is? Nada, zilcho. Might as well munch on styrofoam...Sure has a good crunch though! Add to that the processed cheese and other chemical "faux" food flavor "enhancers" developed by the Dr. Zoidbergs of the world and...I don't see this as much of an improvement.

It's still test tube food, although it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...or a pointed stick. Well, any implementy elongated thingy used for ocular penetration...as such.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 18:52

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Non-Hydrogenated Lard is available, but takes some looking. Also, from what I've heard Lard nowadays is not the same quality as it used to be. You're not going to see Lard in Fast Food fries anymore, even if they eventually admit that Saturated Fat is good for you. The primary reasons being religious. Lard is made from Pigs, and thus is not fit for Jews and Muslims. McDonalds up until about 13 years ago used Beef Tallow in the US. That was when CSPI went on a campaign to get rid of the "Evil" Saturated Fats (Lard, Tallow, Coconut Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, and Palm Oil.) They got McDonalds [and everyone else] to switch over to Hydrogenated Oils instead.

Beef Tallow would probably be the best choice. It might cause a few Vegetarians/Vegans to stop eating at McDonalds, but I don't think most of them eat there anyways, seeing as McDonalds epitomizes the Meat Industry. I remember back before they changed the fats, and their fries tasted just fine fried in Beef Tallow. They could also use Tropical Oils, but the temperatures they fry at are too high and Tropical Oils tend to be expensive nowadays.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:11

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

They still do use beef in the actual fries even though they aren't frying it in beef tallow.

Jenn
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:14
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Beef tallow still wouldnt allow jews who try and keep somewhat kosher to eat there. Beef is kosher, but the animal has to be slaughtered in the right way and then its lungs need to be inflated to check for lesions and it needs to be blessed... its this whole process so unless they used kosher tallow, which they wont do, Jews wont be able to eat french fries there. Of course those that strictly keep kosher wont eat there anyway, but some will go there and eat the fish and french fries and think its fine now wont be able to get fries.

Honestly I think if it stops more people from eating fries, its probably for the better anyway, but who am I to impose my selfish wishes on the rest of the country :-)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:16
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
They still do use beef in the actual fries even though they aren't frying it in beef tallow.

Do they really? How? I know some vegetarians that would be pretty upset to hear that.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:33

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Do they really? How? I know some vegetarians that would be pretty upset to hear that.

I'll be damned, they do:

Quote:
French Fries: Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). TBHQ and citric acid added to help preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent.

Hash Browns: Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef source), salt, corn flour, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate added to maintain natural color, and spice. Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). TBHQ and citric acid added to help preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:45
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Oh my!

Just reading whats in those fries makes me sick. I cant believe I used to eat that junk!