Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-10, 08:14

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 175/161/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default nicotine gum and LC

i want to quit smoking but have to wait until the 1st to get patches. my dr put me on wellbutrin to help but said to use either patches or gum with it. i have a whole box of nicotine gum from last time i was going to quit and would like to use it, but am wondering if using 10 pieces a day will kick me out of ketosis or keep me from losing. anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 17:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jennhahn!

If the gum you have is Nicorette, it's sweetened with sorbitol which is a sugar alcohol, not sugar and glycerol. According to this site, it has 0.2 grams of carb per piece so 10 pieces would be 2 grams of carb. Not likely to knock you out of ketosis at that level.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 06:21

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 175/161/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

thank you lisa for replying. since i hadn't had any replies, i went ahead and starting using the gum and was counting each piece as 1 carb. i guess even if i am consuming 10 extra carbs a day its better than 10 cigs a day.
thanks again for replying. i feel much better about using the gum now.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-02-10, 10:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

I was a total nicotine gum addict and it NEVER kicked me out of ketosis. I just went cold turkey on both tobacco and the gum so if you ever want to go that way it can be done. But as far as ketosis goes - the classic gum (non-flavoured) is not a problem.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, low carb
Stats: 160/145/123 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
I was a total nicotine gum addict and it NEVER kicked me out of ketosis. I just went cold turkey on both tobacco and the gum so if you ever want to go that way it can be done. But as far as ketosis goes - the classic gum (non-flavoured) is not a problem.

Hi there!
I quit smoking with Nicorrette chewing gum about 4 years ago and I'm still chewing like 8-10 a day! How did you manage to come off the gum? I tried to quit the gum few times but haven't been successful. Also did u find that the gum suppresses your appetite? So I'm kinda scared to quit chewing in case my appetite shoots up again... Any advice?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 01:30

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi,

A late reply is better than none, I suppose.

To get off the gum, (which I mainly did because of the $$$$ of the gum) I started cutting them in half. Then I would pop the half piece of gum into my mouth along with a very strong flavored sugar free gum. Then chew. I did this for a long while (a year?), then I started cutting the nicotine gum in 1/4s and would take the 1/4 with the strong flavored sugar-free gum.

Finally, over a year ago, I stopped using the nicotine gum & just used the strong flavored sugar-less. I had developed a sort of Pavlovian reaction, so that the flavor of the sugarless gum gave me almost the same rush as the nicotine gum.

Now I hardly chew the sugar free gum any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalala007
Hi there!
I quit smoking with Nicorrette chewing gum about 4 years ago and I'm still chewing like 8-10 a day! How did you manage to come off the gum? I tried to quit the gum few times but haven't been successful. Also did u find that the gum suppresses your appetite? So I'm kinda scared to quit chewing in case my appetite shoots up again... Any advice?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, low carb
Stats: 160/145/123 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 41%

Great advice! Thank you thank you!
I've been feeling quite desperate to quit but feel that I'm so addicted to it. Been reading articles about mouth cancer etc I got really scared.
Really going to try your method from today! Wish me luck!

Happy Sunday! X
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 03:46

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Lalal,

I would cut up my "gum for the day" (or even "gum for several days) and keep them in a small plastic container w/ my non-nic gum which I carried in my purse.

Good luck. Take it slowly (if you want). I smoked cigarettes for almost 24 years, then chewed the nic gum for almost 3, reducing over ~ 18 months when I was getting angry about spending about the same amount of $ on the nic gum as I had spent on cigs.