Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 14:21

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Lisa's Quest

Quest for what you ask?

- smaller bootie
- smaller thighs
- more than one "ab"
- strength
- well-shaped arms

...and a few things that exercise won't fix...but make plastic surgery look pretty tempting!

After years of trying to rationalize couch potato-ing, two pregnancies, yo-yo dieting I'm finally sticking to an exercise program.

Normally, I'm up at 5:15 and hit the road by 5:20 to run (hi Nat - I can just see you on your NordicTrak as I jog by!!!)

If I don't get out to run, I'll go to the gym at work and do a 1/2 hour on the Stairclimber. I prefer run days because I can get into work earlier (more productive) or opt to go to the gym and do some weight training (Mon - lower, Tues - upper - repeat Thurs, Fri). I'm off weight training at the moment, however, since I was getting overtired.

Today, unfortunately, I sliced open a 1 inch gash on the top of my foot last night on a bed rail so I'm going to be sidelined for a few days. Ouch
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Well DOne

Hi Lisa

It is only human to go after goals we can achieve with a little effort and one or two that will stretch us to the limits of belief {a few things that exercise won't fix} LOL

{I'm up at 5:15 and hit the road by 5:20 to run } That was one of my major stretches ... one I have not kept up for more than a couple of days so far!! Well done. That really is great. I should know!!

{I sliced open a 1 inch gash on the top of my foot last night on a bed rail } Ouch Ouch Ouch I'd get rid of that rail ... it's too naughty

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-01, 06:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lisa, do you manage this early regiment during the winter months as well? Have you found it easier since you've been LCing? I've noticed getting up that early has become a lot easier of late... just wondering if it was something particular to me, or to this WOL.

Hope that foot feels better... taking a few days off can be tough on the old psyche, but the body seems to appreciate it. It's taking everythng I have to not go down and work out today But I do think I need a day off.... or so I am being told (Over and over again lol)

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 11:55

BF:
Default I'm back

Thanks for the comments you guys! My foot is much better but I'm going to have a nasty scar! I ran yesterday mid-morning (bad run...lots of walking!) and again this morning (great run...no walking...a new personal best!).

To answer your question Nat - I don't know if I'll be able to continue running through the winter. I just went out and bought some winter running stuff but I don't think I'll be able to run when its really cold and you add that fierce wind-chill. I was nervous this morning (for those not in Ottawa it was 0oC and frost!) but it was fine. I think I have a strict -10 to -15 rule otherwise I'll be miserable. Ice and slush may also be a problem. There's always the trusty stair-climber!

I don't find the mornings that easy but my hubby is up at that time anyway so he just turns on the light when he leaves the room.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 12:59

BF:
Default Re: I'm back

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
To answer your question Nat - I don't know if I'll be able to continue running through the winter. I just went out and bought some winter running stuff but I don't think I'll be able to run when its really cold and you add that fierce wind-chill. I was nervous this morning (for those not in Ottawa it was 0oC and frost!) but it was fine. I think I have a strict -10 to -15 rule otherwise I'll be miserable. Ice and slush may also be a problem. There's always the trusty stair-climber!

I remember jogging in snow storms and having a ball. I started back in '88 in WinterPeg it was -40 some nights with the wind.. didnt bother me. Running was the only time I was not cold during wintertime. I wish my knees would let me.... I'd be out there with you. Slush isnt fun, but ice isn't anywhere near as much of a problem as it is walking... less contact for shorter period of time with your foot, i guess?

In any event.. I think you might surprize yourself with the winter jogging.. it can be very serene and peaceful. Just you and the falling snowflakes.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 13:53

BF:
Default Those winter runs

Its inspiration to be able to put a face to a person whose actually done it (run in the winter). Thanks! I tend to think that you need to be a die-hard marathoner, but you're right...I might surprise myself. I actually really enjoy running in the dark, to the point where when I ran mid-morning yesterday, it wasn't as enjoyable! Its those crisp clear mornings with Orion's Belt right over me that I really like.

By the way Nat - how many Ottawa people are there? Should we try to meet for dinner somewhere, someday, sometime?

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 17:55

BF:
Default Re: Those winter runs

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
By the way Nat - how many Ottawa people are there? Should we try to meet for dinner somewhere, someday, sometime?

My count is around 6 or 7 (including those not quite in Ottawa).. and I think some kind of get together would be grand. We must conspire!

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 07:40

BF:
Default Aaahhh....conspiracy

Excellent! Maybe somewhere around the beginning of December - not so close to Christmas...

No run this morning, but I plan to hit the gym this afternoon!

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 14:17

BF:
Default Made it to the gym

So - 30 min on Stairclimber at level 4 - program 2 - short plateaus). Felt pretty good - I've never lasted that long at Level 4 so the running is improving my endurance.

Next its off home for "Egg Nite," kids to bed, coffee with friends then my wonderful, warm bed!

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 06:24

BF:

Took the day off yesterday.

5:20 a.m. - 1/2 hour run/walk - mostly run. Did a short route. I'm going to try my first "long" run tomorrow and see how much of the measured 5K I can do running. Now THAT should be a humbling experience!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 06:41

BF:

Okay, I lied! I took the weekend off...I should never promise myself I'm going to workout on the weekend!

5:20 - ran 4k on empty stomach - ran/jogged/walked intervals for the last 2k.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 11:41

BF:

5:20 - ran 2.5k - did intervals on the way back.

Here's hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 14:03

BF:

Well guess what? It rained! I'm a big wimp - I can run in snow, I can run in sun...but don't make me run in very cold shivery rain.

So...

I went to the gym at 7:30 am and did 30 min on Level 3 (strength training/intervals between low and med/high intensity) on the stair climber. Empty stomach.

I find it funny how after a run I'm shaky and need to eat very soon vs. stairclimbing where my legs feel a bit tired but I'm not completely wiped out. Anyone know what this means? Am I working harder running? Is the shakiness calorie burn? Depletion of glycogen stores? Let me know if you have any thoughts on it...

Tomorrow my plan is to run again in the morning - it should be below freezing which means I can try out some of my nifty new running gear!

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 12:46

BF:

Hello all -

Friday - ran 3k on an empty stomach - intervals on the way home

Today - 4k run/walk - felt very challenging today. Very shaky later in the day! I did eat after the workout but ended up in bed for an hour. Protein shake helped balance out my blood sugar a little later.

Lisa
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 05:52

BF:

5:20 a.m. - 2.5 kilometres on an empty stomach. Only dropped to a walk twice - once to pack up my jacket into the waist pack and then again for a quick rest before the last sprint.

Weigh in on Wednesday - its only been two weeks so I'm not expecting much of a change. 162 would be nice!

Have a great day!

Lisa