Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default I can take this sh#^&, barely

I have had a thyroid diagnosis about 13 years. My dosage was 2.5 grains armour + 25 mcg T3. Got to a wonderful costly dr who got me feeling great since 2010. Feeling great correlated with attaining goal weight and good health.

Gone broke from a workers comp injury, although its the law that we're guaranteed to be paid by workers comp, my special insurance adjuster simply refuses to do that. State disability won't pay because I should be getting worker comp.

On state medical program my dr put me on 25mgs of generic T4, lost all my hair, gained 50lbs, cold and tired, not functioning well mentally. I drink mucho coffee to get thru the day. My injury is not healing, not sure how ligaments and thyroid interact. She upped T4 to 50 and now 75.

For some reason on 75 I feel even worse. I get so cold at night I lay in bed and shake. I've taken my temp when this happens 95.9. My neck is swelling at the thyroid gland, my energy is poor. I stopped atkins induction and alternate day fasts, I didn't lose for 2 months and it was just making me colder. I'm eating 50 carbs a day and maintaining weight my temp is us to 96.6, max 97.12.

Rant: how can a dr be so backwards? She only tests TSH and T4. I don't have a TSH its always 0 and my T4 is low. Why would she start me back at ground 0? She wants to run a million tests on my health. I won't do it I'm not taking a bunch of pharmaceuticals for all the problems shes causing me.

Question: is what do I do? I need a dr that will get me on some armour, or an armour or T3 source.

Thanks for reading. I've learned my lesson - don't mention thyroid problems to general practioners.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 17:42

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your doctor. I know just how you feel. My doctor refused to continue me on Armour even though that is what I wanted. The only test he does is TSH and put me on synthetics. I felt so cold and just bad...hard to explain. My TSH also is always at 0 or 0.05 or 0.04 even while I was on synthetics. Thankfully I still had a few refills of armour, (although the price is ALOT more expensive) so I went back on that. Feeling much better and able to lose again.

I'm going to talk to him about going back on armour and if he refuses I'm going to ask for a referral to a doctor who will.
I have an appointment to see him at the end of this month.
I will let you know how it goes. Oh, and my general practitioner is the one who referred me to this doctor (endo) so even if you go to an endo, doesn't mean you will get better care
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 21:39

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm so sorry to hear you're not doing well with this doc. I guess that's why you haven't checked in to the 5# challenge. I hope everything starts going your way soon!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 07:25

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

My mom has had three doctors since about '07 and they have all been mainstream doctors and they have all had her on Armour. I know she is just generally low, as she is now 88 but not one has had her on synthetics. It started as a first step in addressing her Alzheimer's because that was the reason we took her, to start with.
The point is, it shouldn't be that hard to find a gp or internist who will have you on Armour. Have you shopped around for another doctor? You said your first doc was pricey, and mojolissa commented that the Armour costs more, too, but at Walmart, it's 30.00/month for her. I know she has medicare part D and her supplemental insurance might make some difference as well. I know her Namenda would be over 350.00/month without the supplemental policy and it is 6.00, as it is. So, point being, I don't know how much the Armour is, but if you have any prescription coverage at all, it shouldn't be too bad.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Ann, FWIW, Armour at 30/month is outrageous, especially for someone on Medicare.

It USED to be between $18 and $35 for a 90 day supply, for me, until the drug got sold to another company, which jacked up the price three fold.

See what the cost of the Armour is WITHOUT Medicare. It could, possibly be less.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 10:09
Registered Member

Mojo it makes me sad to hear you are unwell too. Its a darn shame to suffer when the cure is already invented. Adding you to my prayer list and hope you will continue to let me know how you are.

Ann I only have medical coverage with a few drs on this plan and only pharmacy coverage with their prescriptions.

I've decided to write a note to my dr telling her about my symptoms and see if I can get help with her. The great dr I went to was $260 and the prescriptions were only 3 months at a time which is way out of my range.

I'm confused as to whether I don't convert well or if my dosage is too low, but what I'm doing is not working. For some reason I have heart palpitations for hours after I take the pill even with the 25mg.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 10:17

Nawchem, I was started out on Synthroid, then generic Synthroid.

My TSH was fine, I still felt terrible, and could NOT lose weight.

When I switched to Armour, many of my symptoms went away, and I could lose, albeit about a pound and a half a year. Something was better than nothing, I thought.

Low carb has helped immensely with the weight loss, of course. But you still need a functioning thyroid just to be able to THINK, much less all the physical symptoms that crop up.

I sincerely hope that you get your disability suit taken care of ASAP, as that will help in the long run.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 15:18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I could lose, albeit about a pound and a half a year. Something was better than nothing, I thought.

Wow thats awful!

When I was diagnosed my T3 was very low so I was put on armour right away. I couldn't believe how great I felt.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 15:35
Registered Member

I have a heart arrythmia thats supposedly common with hypothyroidism. Mine went away with thyroid treatment but its come back now. I requested a refill of my heart medication that I last filled in 2009.

Dr called me in immediately to see the nurse. She determined that I must be taking too much thyroid and changed my prescription to 50 mg.

So I know my path is getting another dr, I don't think I will be able to go anywhere this lady.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 16:48

What a terrible physician! Is she even aware at ALL of the issues of hypothyroidism?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 18:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
What a terrible physician! Is she even aware at ALL of the issues of hypothyroidism?

Who knows? When I took anatomy we spent so much time knowing each and every little bone and muscle and how the inner ear works, thyroid maybe got 3 minutes.

Luckily my real appointment isn't until next week, I probably would've yelled at her if it was today!

I decided to:

Get my blood test for my physical that includes T4 so there isn't any confusion about my status.

Order a nice present for myself from another country.

thanks girls for letting me talk out this frustration. I feel like I'm fighting a hard battle for my health and their taking my weapons away.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 16:52
Registered Member

I take my thyroid medication right before bed, I had real bad heart palpitations and never fell asleep. I went to the drs office pale and weak this morning and got to see the dr. She prescribed betablocker, noted the swelling in my neck and ordered a series of tests for autoimmune disorders as well as T3, T4 and TSH. I am overjoyed that she took it seriously. I told her I am weaning myself off synthroid. She knows I like the Mexican pharma, she knew what I was sayin.

My temp was 96.6 this morning so I don't think I'm hyperthyroid but the dr thinks I am and the symptoms except for my temp seem like it and I think the swelling is sign too. I just hope it goes away. I don't think pure synthroid is the right drug for me.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 11:03

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Oh Wow! Do you think this doctor will turn it around? The swelling could be from an iodine deficiency, but I'm not sure how you test for that. My main symptoms were cold feet and low body temp and an inability to lose weight. The tests came out the same whether I was on synthetics or armour, but I don't feel the same with them.
I will be thinking of you too! Sending good health wishes your way! :hugs:
Please let us know how you are doing.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 17:17
Registered Member

Thanks mojo

I just got my thyroid results, going to start a new post.