Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241.5/230/160 Female 70"
BF:not sure
Progress: 14%
Default hello to TOFF's

Hello everyone, I would just like to say how good I feel to know you are all out there. I am almost mid 50's and am starting on my 3rd career, fulltime student(nursing) and mother of 3 all grown with 2 grandchildren and another due in December! I have about 60 lbs I want to lose and have been successful with low carb in the past..just lost my inspiration... I look to this forum to gain insight and encouragement. So far all I have done is read your discussions back and forth and am getting to feel like I know you all.
Today I saw Jas50's wedding pic's ...so beautiful..what a nice family! and cp54 ...this weekend I will be trying your low carb...Chicken Cabbage Toss...... Well, here I am in the background ...enjoying being a part of all this and thankyou for being here and letting me take part...............Sincerely Sharene
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:49

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hi,
I cannot believe all that you've got going on!!!! Way to go! My daughter is in nursing school as we speak....I am 46 and keep thinking my brain couldn't learn another new thing if it had to....seems kind of full.....anyway, what an inspiration you are. I've been complaining that I need a new software system for my job and afraid I can't learn a new one after ten years....maybe there is hope.. Anyway, great luck on your low carb journey and your new career!

Anita

Come visit me anytime in my journal!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 247/215/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 30%

i usually lurk too. i'm 53 have 7 kids, 11grandkids with one due in november. i'm the oldest of 9 and my hubby is the middle of 10, so it feels like i'm drowning in family sometimes. right now our oldest and her 4 kids are staying with us. it's strange i know our house has always been loud. but for a year it was just me and hubby, except for holidays. now i can't remember my house being this loud.
i finally decided to do something about my weight i've been heavy since my last 2 kids 20 years ago. it is so-o-o- hard.i wish i would have done it back then. oh well, at least i'm doing something about it now. i can't believe how much better i'm feeling since i started this. more energy, better sleep. if i could just get over my impatience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 16:10

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

They say the best way to keep your mind young is to learn something new. I work crossword puzzles, watch Wheel of fortune and Jeopardy (and try to beat the contestants) designed and landscaped an acre yard, and learned a new language in the last few years....so why can't I keep track of my glasses??? but really, life didn't become a downhill slide after thirty-it's still fascinating. Just wish the body would take the hint and get with it!-Gail
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 17:14
Registered Member

BF:

it's amazing how those glasses are always in the last place you would look for them-----------ON YOUR HEAD!!!lol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 11:47

Plan: Atkins+Black Coffee
Stats: 251/250/190 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%

Congratulations on your new career! That's awesome! I joined myself here at the TOFF's and like you am looking forward to being a part of the 50's young at heart club!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 15:44

Plan: SB
Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the compliment Sharene - have you joined us on the 50's thread?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 09:42

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I see that alot of the ladies from the 50's thread are here also.

Sharene, congrats on the new career. I have my hands full just keeping up with the family. Craftymama I come from a really large family too. Our family just seems to keep getting bigger. Our oldest daughter is adopting a little boy. They go to court today and hopefully Adam will be ours once and for all. He is the most adorable baby and has been such a blessing to our family. It is a open adoption which makes me nervous in some ways but my daughter has been fantastic. She was able to be in the delivery room when Adam was born and she got to take him home when he left the hospital. Adam's biological Father only saw him for a few minutes and he didn't want anything to do with him after that. They already had two children and didn't want anymore. My daughter promised to send them pictures of Adam every couple of months but the last pictures came back . It seems they moved. The Biological Father didn't sign the legal papers so now we have to go to court to terminate his rights. Hopefully the judge will take care of everything today. I can't understand why he didn't sign the papers because he wants nothing to do with the baby. Adam will be a year old next month and he is the light of my life.

Gailew, I am constantly misplacing my glasses. My husband wears glasses too and we are always picking up the others glasses. Sounds like you keep really busy.

Sharene, I meant to tell you that my youngest daughter is a Nurse. She works in high risk OB. She loves her job.
Brenda
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

brenda so how did court go? i didn't realize that you could terminate his rights without him present? i think that is great. i can only imagine how stressful it would be to always be wondering if adam's dad was coming for him.
laura
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 07:39

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Craftymama, My daughter's lawyer didn't show up he sent some lady in his place. He hadn't filed any of the proper paperwork either. The Judge asked her how long it would take their firm to file the papers and she told him she could probably get it done in a week. The Judge gave her three. A parents rights can be terminated if they don't show up in court however since the biological parents have moved the court has to appoint a private detective to see of they can locate the Father. The lawyer the kids are using was recommended by the adoption agency and he was suppose to be one of the best but he hasn't done squat for the kids in the year we have had Adam. All he does is make excuses and send them bills. I told my daughter to make a formal complaint with the Bar. The kids go back in three weeks and if all of the paper work is done then the Father's parental rights will be terminated. The Mother signed her rights away the day after Adam was born. The kids will have to wait 6 more months now before the adoption is final since the Lawyer didn't file the papers the Mother signed. At least we still have Adam. I can't imagine our life without him. The family had planned a big get together to celebrate getting everything taking care so I think we are still going to have the party. I think it will cheer the kids up. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope you have a great day.
Brenda
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 23:38
Registered Member

Stats: 197/164/135 Female 5 feet tall
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi there Sharlene,

to the board. I'm also in my mid 50's and still young at heart WTG on the new career...that is fantastic! You're going to get soooo much support and motivation here. We're here you on! I look forward to getting to know you better, so post often. Hope you enjoy the Chicken Cabbage salad.