Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-21, 05:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Does anyone have a view on collagen powder and fasting? Does it break a fast?

My eating pattern is normally 18:6 with my first meal at lunchtime. I'm currently adding a couple of tablespoons of collagen powder to my first coffee of the morning as I've read it's very beneficial after surgery, especially with wound healing (I'm recovering from a hip replacement).

But it occurs to me, it may be breaking my fast and interfering with the autophagy process.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-21, 08:00

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Isn't it a protein? Proteins break a fast.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-21, 16:22

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Healing your hip is the most important thing you can do now.

(Note: I have no idea what I'm talking about - it's just my gut feeling).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 08:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you are fasting for autophagy, no one really knows what "breaks the fast" I always used a 50 calorie limit, but that was merely my compromise between those doctors that demand Water Only, not even black coffee, and those who allowed coffee with cream, bone broth, etc.

Keto Lie #7: Fasting for longer is better: https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...nger-is-better/. There is a link to Peter Attia's blog in this article, admitting they have no idea, but his writing short-circuited my brain.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 11:21

BF:

Thanks for all your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Isn't it a protein? Proteins break a fast.
Yes, you're right Ambulo, it is a protein, but it's also considered to be a supplement and they don't necessarily break a fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Healing your hip is the most important thing you can do now.

(Note: I have no idea what I'm talking about - it's just my gut feeling).
Thanks Bob, gut feeling or not, you're right in saying the healing of my hip is the most important thing I can do for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you are fasting for autophagy, no one really knows what "breaks the fast" I always used a 50 calorie limit, but that was merely my compromise between those doctors that demand Water Only, not even black coffee, and those who allowed coffee with cream, bone broth, etc.

Keto Lie #7: Fasting for longer is better: https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...nger-is-better/. There is a link to Peter Attia's blog in this article, admitting they have no idea, but his writing short-circuited my brain.
Thanks Janet, and if I use your 50 calorie limit, then my collagen is under that at 40 calories.

Thanks also for the link, I shall have a read through.

In the meantime, I've done a little research and came across a guide to what breaks a fast at Marks Daily Apple:
Quote:
Collagen

If you’re strict and technical, then yes, collagen breaks a fast. There’s evidence that glycine—the most prominent amino acid in collagen—can inhibit autophagy, but it was a convoluted animal study where inhibiting autophagy with large doses of glycine after brain injury actually improved outcomes. It probably doesn’t apply to someone adding a scoop of collagen to their coffee. Besides, even if it slightly reduces autophagy, a little collagen won’t negatively impact ketosis, fat-burning, or energy intake.
I’m going to say “technically yes,” but “realistically no, collagen doesn’t break the fast.” Avoid if your main focus is autophagy, however.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/the...-breaks-a-fast/
So maybe!

Probably just easier then if I don't have it in my morning coffee and have it later in the day
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 12:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My gut feeling says I don't know, but probably just taking the collagen at a different time of day will be just as good. Rodent studies actually show fasting accelerating healing for skin wounds and unnecessary heart surgery. Healing normally occurs with the same sort of daily fluctuation of fuel sources and nutrient levels as anything else in the body.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
My gut feeling says I don't know, but probably just taking the collagen at a different time of day will be just as good. Rodent studies actually show fasting accelerating healing for skin wounds and unnecessary heart surgery. Healing normally occurs with the same sort of daily fluctuation of fuel sources and nutrient levels as anything else in the body.
Thanks for your input teaser, and I'm now taking the collagen later at lunchtime.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 17:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

This makes the most sense. I'm confident, Demi, that your body will adjust and benefit, and as Bob observes, healing your hip is primary at this time. You're going to have a great recovery.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 07:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Demi, this morning I read your comment about 40 calorie collagen, and then listened to the new DietDoctor podcast on IF, episode #81. The first interview is with Dr. Kevin Gendreax, who said the the most common question he gets is "what can I have on a fast"...his answer ...limit to 35 calories. Dr. Scher's intro to the question is that we really don't know...stick with that and enjoy your collagen.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 13:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This makes the most sense. I'm confident, Demi, that your body will adjust and benefit, and as Bob observes, healing your hip is primary at this time. You're going to have a great recovery.
Thanks Rob. So far my recovery is going really well but obviously I want to optimise the healing process as much as I can.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 13:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Demi, this morning I read your comment about 40 calorie collagen, and then listened to the new DietDoctor podcast on IF, episode #81. The first interview is with Dr. Kevin Gendreax, who said the the most common question he gets is "what can I have on a fast"...his answer ...limit to 35 calories. Dr. Scher's intro to the question is that we really don't know...stick with that and enjoy your collagen.
Well I suppose I could always reduce the amount slightly!

Seriously though, I've made the decision to drop the collagen powder with my first coffee of the morning. Instead, I'm adding it into my bone broth, which I usually have during my first meal of the day at lunchtime, just to maximise the effect of both the collagen and the process of autophagy.

... and I shall have to listen to the podcast. Thanks for the heads up Janet
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 15:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm still new to studying IF and fasting, but have put in hours of reading the better known sources we are familiar with.

Protein interferes.
High insulin interferes. So AS which triggers insulin spike problematic.

Dr Gundry discusses Dr Lingo's 500 cal vegetarian meals for 5 days. No meat or dairy. Said to have autophagy effect.

Based on what I know so far, collagen is likely to interfere.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-21, 07:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dr Gundry discusses Dr Lingo's 500 cal vegetarian meals for 5 days. No meat or dairy. Said to have autophagy effect.

I run hot and cold on Dr Gundry. He's great about the damage of lectins, but his strong vegetarian leanings don't make any sense then!

I extend my fasting window with green tea and coconut oil. Which Dr Fung says enhances the process, not break it. I keep my eating window as small as I can. Which varies
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-21, 08:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

One reason I'm all over the place on this--besides breaking down dietary proteins, the gut has a role in the breakdown of endogenous proteins, the liver secretes these and the gut breaks them down into amino acids. Some of the studies looking at autophagy look at what happens to cells when they're in a nutrient bath that's deprived of amino acids. There, tiny amounts of amino acid suppress autophagy greatly, but we're looking at an unusual scenario for the individual cells, in the human body such low levels of amino acid might not be likely.

Anyways, you eat ten grams of protein. That's way more than nothing. But how does it compare to the nutrient levels usually present? I don't really know. A teaspoon--like four or five grams of glucose--is all the glucose in the human bloodstream, but there isn't that much of a perturbation from consuming 4 grams of glucose, in a non-diabetic.

The number I've seen is something like 70 grams of endogenous protein a day--comparable to what a person eats. Probably with a lower protein diet, there's decreased protein turnover and the number goes down.