Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-20, 09:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Defrosting freezers during the winter is a plus! The snow is a temporary freezer......

We eat down the freezer, then get boxes of free from pantry extras......avocados freeze well. Limes, too.

Turkeys on sale 39cents a pound....bought too many to fit sooooo set up barrels in the snow and son packed snow up the sides and put on a secure cover.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-20, 20:39

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Other than ice packs, I have not added anything to my freezer since October. And I actually took something out this week and cooked it up!
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 03:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Hey, this year is definitely graded on a curve!
For sure!

Since it's Christmas, I pulled out a frozen turkey breast that I had grabbed off the reduced rack for making broth. Turkey dinner for two. Well... plus the cat. If she plays her cards right.
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 05:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I've been adding as ham and turkey on sale....the annual sale. Roasted one turkey for Christmas dinner.

Waiting to see if overnight storm knocks out power today.....heard one tree go down an hour ago......bought a nice roast for today......
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 10:33

I’ve given up buying whole turkeys at this point. I discovered I don’t like eating them enough to make it worth my while. Even at $.49 a pound.

Ham on the other hand is my downfall. I could buy three of those suckers at a time. The most I’ve ever bought at once though is two and they never make it into the freezer before being cooked.

Last edited by Gypsybyrd : Sat, Dec-26-20 at 00:12.
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-20, 13:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

I moved to a newly built condo-apartment in September .. the provided refrigerator's freezer is bigger, but fresh food compartment is smaller. Go figure. I managed to use up everything moved over from the old place, and have since restocked. No room for a turkey, and even if I'd wanted one they sold out quickly when on sale earlier this month. Baked a ham for Thanksgiving, still have leftovers in the freezer.

OTOH, top sirloin beef was on sale last week ... $3.97 lb vs the usual $8.99 ... so I bought four roasts . One for dinner today, one frozen whole for some deep dark winter night ahead, and the other 2 cut up into cubes and bagged in 1.5 lb portions for stew. Beef has been so expensive lately and a rare treat other than ground hamburger meat, or like Kristine whatever I chance to find marked down for quick sale.

Happy holidays to everyone
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-20, 00:11

Holy cow Doreen! That’s an awesome price for beef. Jealous!
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-20, 05:28
Forum Moderator

BF:

My good beef score recently was striploin (aka NY strip) roasts for $4.99/lb. I tried one first, because often, the cheap meat is lousy... but this was fantastic. I went back and bought another one, and I could kick myself for not buying more (even though I'm trying to empty the freezer.) I don't know when I'll want to splurge on good steak again, now that I'm laid off again. Oh well, sloppy joes and canned tuna it is.

Next freezer-based meal: cream of broccoli soup tonight.
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 15:48
Forum Moderator

BF:

I'M BAD AT THIS, YOU GUYS.

Okay, it's not that bad. The chest freezer is almost empty, and probably will be soon. We're approaching the time of year that I loathe having to hit the grocery store after work. It's nice to have lots of options for a good meal, even when I haven't shopped in a week.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 11:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You label stuff? Dang. I'd give you an A just for that.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 13:02
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks! Yeah, I got into that habit after one too many times reheating "random red-and-brown mush" thinking it was stew, but it was chili... or "eggy-looking brick with green stuff" that I though was spinach quiche, but it was jalapeno bake.

Makes it easy on work nights when I have the Idawannas and I just want to nuke something. I can see my choices. I put the month on it, too, so I know when I've forgotten about something for almost a year.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-21, 19:59

Kristine - do you hate hitting the store this time of year because of weather? And, I too am impressed with the labeling! Do you label stuff in your chest freezer too?

I removed something else from my freezer - a pound of raw ground beet. One of those ground beef logs. I don't want to tell anybody how long it's been in my freezer! I made the DietDoctor.com low carb egg bake - sort of. I tweaked the ground beef seasoning. Came out pretty good.

That leaves me: 2 lobsters, a big package of some sort of white fish (still in manufacturer's packing but I can't recall what it is), 2 ducks, 1 lamb roast, and several veggies like riced cauli, spinach, and zoodles. There might be some bacon in there too.
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-21, 01:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Kristine - do you hate hitting the store this time of year because of weather? And, I too am impressed with the labeling! Do you label stuff in your chest freezer too?
Thanks! Yes, because I look in there even less often. The labelling isn't much of a big deal to me because I work in food service, and EVERYTHING has to be labelled. There's a pen in my pocket all day and I estimate that I fill out at least 40-50 stickers every day. These are stickers that mark when a product was taken from the freezer and/or "use by" time. So it just became a habit for me at home, too.

Quote:
I removed something else from my freezer - a pound of raw ground beet. One of those ground beef logs. I don't want to tell anybody how long it's been in my freezer! I made the DietDoctor.com low carb egg bake - sort of. I tweaked the ground beef seasoning. Came out pretty good.
Haha, the longer something's been in the freezer, the more likely I am to turn it into something extra-spicy/flavourful like maybe a curry, because I want to cover it up if it's freezer-burnt or otherwise slightly yucky.
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-21, 05:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I just cleaned out much of our freezer... since the fridge, which probably dates back to the heyday of funk in the Seventies (DH thinks!) bit the dust.

Fortunately, our situation includes another, probably even older, fridge which is still working, but whose freezer is full.

I don't recommend this method
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-21, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Thanks! Yes, because I look in there even less often. The labelling isn't much of a big deal to me because I work in food service, and EVERYTHING has to be labelled. There's a pen in my pocket all day and I estimate that I fill out at least 40-50 stickers every day. These are stickers that mark when a product was taken from the freezer and/or "use by" time. So it just became a habit for me at home, too.

That makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Haha, the longer something's been in the freezer, the more likely I am to turn it into something extra-spicy/flavourful like maybe a curry, because I want to cover it up if it's freezer-burnt or otherwise slightly yucky.

I think it is safe to say, 14 hours after eating it, that my ground beef was not "bad" and now I can say the "use by date" was .... 2017! I suppose it could have been 2019 but it looked like a 7, not a 9. LMAO. Taste was good.