Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 03:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
I accidentally bought 3 lbs of 93% lean ground beef today.
LOL. You may be surprised! Due to the weird USDA meat grading system, it is still 40% fat! If making a hamburger on the grill, I buy the 85% from Costco, but 93% beef and ground turkey work great in Dr Naiman's meatloaf, with eggs and a jar of salsa as the binder. A good amount of fat and dripping remain in the pan, same with casseroles, crackslaw, etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-29-23 at 04:25.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 05:05

Arielle,
Quote:
I need to give them up for a short time to get back into ketosis, says the carb addict. Then I can limit apples to a few slices, instead of a whole apple. .....off to find an apple..
. You should have eaten the apple! Two of them if you wished. It would have moderated your blood glucose crash to avoid eating 2 pints of HD and brownie batter. It is possible to "train your hunger" by using your own BG as a Fuel Gauge. This is a slow, gentle process, not a quit sugar now and forever approach.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-29-23 at 05:29.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 06:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I may end up using those ridiculously lean packs of ground beef to make something with a ton of full fat cheese, cream cheese, or sour cream in it.

I got a batch of braising steaks which are thin chuck slices. Cooked to fork tender in my new ceramic pan(!*) to be rolled in a coconut wrap and topped with blue cheese dressing made with Greek yogurt.

Also very good with a sauce made of sour cream and horseradish. That's what my great-grandmother served with beef. Or go stroganoff with zucchini noodles. That is my plan to try next.

*I'm excited about this deep lidded skillet I lucked into at Marshall's, and I can make wonderful omelettes, braise meat, fry chicken thighs. So easy to clean. The kitchen in my studio is tiny and I cook lunch there. One pan meals are my favorite.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 07:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I definitely struggle with limiting carbs.

I never did Atkins Induction. The thought of cutting to 20 was so daunting I went to 50 and stayed there for years, happily. But it turned out I still could lose another 35 when I went carnivore. Which also changed my experience with cravings.

I was going through my worst ever flare when I started. One pound of my favorite hamburger, salt, water. Breakfast and I'm done for the day. It's didn't take long for me to feel the relief and then it was enjoying the power surges. I spent almost a month that way. And I was happy.

Since then, cravings are much smaller and easily talked down. Does OMAD work because it was probably digesting all day?

My mind and body went primal for a while. After that reminder, only real appealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Oddly ,or not so oddly, cutting out the keto sweets really knocks down cravings for sweets.

Oh, yes. They are, in their own way, created to keep us eating, even though there is protein in them. But it's not a lot. Better than a candy bar, but not real food, either.

Now, I stroll all the way through the now giant protein bar aisle feeling a little queasy, I'm so over them. They are too sweet and even the best one did not last. But the bars alone have their own giant section now.

The more I eat real food, the more my body craves it. That's what makes it "intuitive eating." We do need to consider how the food makes us feel, for hours and hours after. That's what I experienced on carnivore and that's why I'm so certain it's okay for me to crave fat.

I can make a sweetener-less cheesecake in a mug, WAIT overnight for the wee fairies of the fridge to work their magic (the same ones as Oopisie rolls ) and enjoy it as much as I want. It has no bad consequences for my health, mood, or medical condition. In fact, it's a Davis Experiment in my own life.

By any name, it only works with real, whole, foods. Which is why any indulgence that isn't food must only be indulged in if we can handle it. Processed food (aka dirt) is what throws off the delicate balance our bodies strive for.

Clara M. Davis and the wisdom of letting children choose their own diets
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 07:46

Quote:
One pound of my favorite hamburger, salt, water. Breakfast and I'm done for the day. It's didn't take long for me to feel the relief and then it was enjoying the power surges. I spent almost a month that way. And I was happy.

WearBear, you are a better woman than I! a pound is about 120grams of protein, I can’t eat that much in one meal, but maybe the secret IS digestion takes 24 hours.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 10:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WB, definitely going Carnivore, OMAD or fasting cuts the cravings. For carbs.

Oddly, Carnivore becomes beef-focused really fast! Interest in fish, eggs, chicken and pork takes a nosedive. Lamb is as tasty as beef. And then its easier to stick to carnivore. Always plated with plenty of fat. Very satiating.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-23, 11:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
LOL. You may be surprised! Due to the weird USDA meat grading system, it is still 40% fat! If making a hamburger on the grill, I buy the 85% from Costco, but 93% beef and ground turkey work great in Dr Naiman's meatloaf, with eggs and a jar of salsa as the binder. A good amount of fat and dripping remain in the pan, same with casseroles, crackslaw, etc.

I know for sure that much less of the fat will cook off and be left in the bottom of the pan.

I've looked up the nutrition stats for various percentages of ground beef before - but when it comes to hamburger, the broiled stats are more important than the raw stats.

When you broil ground beef or cook it on an outdoor grill, what happens to the fat is that most of it drips down into the drip tray or onto the coals. So it was no real surprise that if you're looking at cooked 70% ground beef, it's not much different from 85% ground beef.

Once you get above 90% though, there's a lot less fat to begin with, and therefore very little to cook out of it. (just for reference, the total fat grams after cooking 93% as compared to 70% is about half)

Even pan-frying, you still lose a lot of the fat when cooking the higher fat ground beef, which usually ends up wasted.

Anyhow, pretty sure the 93% is not going to make good burgers at all, but I have plenty of cheesy, creamy recipes I can use (including stroganoff)