Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 13:19

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Has anyone tried Coral Calcium?

I ordered some. And while I was waiting, I emailed a friend who has fibro and she said she ordered it about three weeks ago.

She said she is getting relief with using it.

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 05:27

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just started the coral calcium. I do seem to be sleeping better since I started it, but too soon to really tell yet.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 05:59

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default Yes on Coral Calcium

I have been taking coral calcium for about a year now. I did find it very helful for pain relief and I started with 6 capsules for 2 weeks.I now take 2 to 4 capsules a day depending on my pain levels....

Debbie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 03:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I currently take Tums, 2 tabs 4 times a day, along with a Centrum. I ordered 2 bottles of Coral Calcium Supreme, and I am waiting on it to arrive.

I decided to stop by the pharmacy to pick up some ph test strips, and the pharmacist told me she had just recieved a notice about Coral Calcium being a fraud. She showed me a mailing that had been sent out (sort of like one of those medical journal updates) and stated that normal calcium supplements were just as good.

I know there is a lot of debate about absorption rates, so I am waiting to try the coral calcium to see if I do notice any difference.

I also did some reading about calcium overdose, hypercalcemia, you may want to look into it if you have not already.

I am going to be very careful, as hypercalcemia coupled with some diets could have some possible effects, I would imagine.

The proof will be in the pudding, though. I try to keep an open mind. I did a lot of research after seeing Bob Barefoot's infomercial, and much of what he claimed was indeed in the JAMA articles. It boils down to the real question of how much is safe, and does price really affect absoprtion?

Just goes to show you diet is not the only place you can find naysayers!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 07:13

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Default Hi, Fantasia...

just a couple of notes. Even though I had ordered Coral Calcium some time ago, I was being remiss in taking regularly until a couple of days ago.
Six a day as he recommends if you already have a problem.

Already, my skin is much improved. I even had a friend ask me if I had a new face regimen/or makeup because my skin looked so fresh and smooth!

Also, I am not retaining nearly as much fluid at night when I sleep.

I feel a lot better this morning, but don't know if that is just my flareup easing off or the coral calcium.

About Tums, I read on another site (not barefoots) that the recommendation to eat Tums for calcium is totally bogus. Because the stomach has to have acid in it to use calcium, and of course, Tums is an antacid.

And remember, for years people have said low carb diets were bogus. Now, all of a sudden, they are realizing that maybe obesity and other diseases are caused by eating all those yucky carbs and the insulin response they cause.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:29

I can only speak for myself when I say that Coral Calcium was the first thing I had tried in years that really helped with my pain and fatigue. I sleep so much better and my pain is finally under control. I have tried other calcium forms with no affect but the one I am taking from www.cures4you.net has been very effective. I have been LCing since 1/7/03 and the problem I am addressing right now is low potassium. I haven't been great about supplementing that and I am paying for it with some swelling around my knees. Seems I am pretty low cause I have to add about 1000 mg right now to keep it under control.

All I can say is give coral calcium a shot and see what it does for you. I didn't have to take 6 a day for that long to see good results .Actually only 2 weeks and each capsule only has 230 mg
of coral calcium plus magnesium and 73 trace minerals. I only take 2 a day now and 4 on a day when I can feel my leg pain at night.....

But I suspect that for years now most of my leg pain is low Potassium.....Because it is an exact description of Hypokalemia.
which is low blood potassium...

I am going to add the potassium to the cal/mag I am taking because I know it helps. I took it the other night and the swelling cleared but is back today cause I didn't take enough yesterday even though I took about 600 mg of potassium.

Debbie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 11:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/176/150
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have been on Calcium and Magnesium and B-complex since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in Oct. I just recenty purchased Coral Calcium after watching a commercial on TV. It's expensive and I cannot tell the difference. I can, however, tell the difference in the type of magnesium I use. The Magnesium Maelate is much more effective for me but it's hard to find. A health food store is where I have been successful. It helps keep me "regular" if you know what I mean.
Good Luck,
Sara
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:55

BF:

Hi Quietone

I am sensitive to stomach medications in the prescribed form, such as Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet, Axid, etc. What are known as H2 blockers. When I take these pills, they cause my kidneys to shut down, and I stop urinating. It also caused severe arthralgias, especially in my hands, elbows, and feet.

The second time it happened, after 24 hours of being unable to urinate, I went to the emergency room, and after several blood tests to determine the cause. I was deemed "allergic" to them, and was told I could no longer take the H2 blockers in any form.

The other newer meds, "the pink pills", ie: Prevacid, and Prilosec, cause my hair to fall out at an alarming rate, alopecia, so my choice of antacids is Tums, Tums, or Tums.

At any rate, I had an endoscopy which the Dr. said I produce twice the normal amount of stomach acid, and I had both peptic and duodenal ulcers.

I don't know how I would fare then, with the Tums/Calcium thing, but I do know the addition seemed to invoke a change.

I still want to try the coral calcium supreme, though. One other thing I read is that calcium, I believe, can inhibit iron uptake, so I seperate the AM dose from my Centrum by two hours.

I much prefer vitamins/natural/organic over prescribed meds any day.

~Fantasia
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 16:54

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Question BEWARE OF CURE ALLS

I bought some coral calcium at the health food store ($33.00) . Then I read an article in Prevention Magazine that said it is no different than calcium carbonate. I felt better on some calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tabs I found for $ 6.50. As Prevention Magazine said "Beware of those who say its a cure all". Think about it-I did. Vonnie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 06:43

BF:

My Coral Calcium Supreme arrived yesterday, so we shall see in a few weeks if there is any difference. The main thing I wanted to do was to lose using Tums, as they have 1g sugar per tablet. I was taking 2 tabs 4 times per day.

The Coral Calcium Supreme also has other trace nutrients and such, so I am simply curious if I notice any difference. I will keep you posted.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:22

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default acid blockers

Hi! Fantasia, I read your post about your problems with Prevacid, etc. I have a book recommendation for you - The Amino Revolution by Robert Erdmann, PHD. It is a fantastic book, all about amino acids and how they can help. My DH takes them for his acid reflux, and he is 100% improved. He is off the Prevacid, and the TUMS, he used to go through a whole bottle in a week, and he feels great. Instead of masking the problem, the aminos heal the problem. They also helped my allergies. I was on three different allergy meds, and getting shots every week. Not any more. By the way, I have fibro, so I am sure these are safe to take when you have fibro. I take the 5HTP (tryptophan) at night, and am sleeping much better. Helps the fibro a great deal. Sorry to sound so preachy, but I truly believe amino acids can help everyone.

Hope this helps!!!

-Jess
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:26

Hi Jess,
I have a bottle of Bragg's Liquid amino's in the fridge .I put them in salad dressing with a little flax seed oil. Are they listed as the amino acids to add???? Just wondering since I already have them.
Thanks , Debbie
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:51

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default aminos

Hi! Not sure of the type of aminos you are taking, never heard of a liquid form, but here is what my DH is taking-

L-glutamine
L-glycine
L-histidine
also take digestive enzymes.

You should only take "free-form" aminos, better absorbed. I would say out of all of them, the L-glutamine is the best all around to take. But please remember, I am no nutritionist, you should really read the book, this is just what worked for us. If the formula you are taking contains all or most of the aminos, it is great, and should help a great deal.

Hope I answered your question!

-Jess
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 16:59

BF:

Hi Jessea,

I used to take amino acids just prior to my weight lifting regimen to increase my burn. I took a liquid form that I would mix with orange juice and drink down, the go immediately and work out. Funny you should mention amino's. I will look into that and see what I can find!

Thanks