Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 04:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Exclamation cfs and fybro sufferer

Ok there hasen't been many new postings in this spot. Does that mean you have all given up or all now nice and thin and gone. Where r u all? And what r u up to. I just bought a new scale and found out my initial weight must have been much higher. Very depressing.

I tried to get a buddy to go to the gym with but with both cfs and fybro I don't always make it.

Any suggestions?

I know when I "äm good" on this WOE I feel much better. Then why do I always seem to do the wrong thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 08:47

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Karrier...

Yes, I've noticed that there isn't much posting here either. I guess with the depressions that can accompany fibro and cfs is why.

Low carb definitely helps with my fibro. I find with fibro, it is best to exercise in the evening for me. The mornings can be hard.

I just started exercising again because I wanted to get a good amount of weight off before I did that to my joints.

Right now, it is limited to walking, crunches and push-ups.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 10:09

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I've sort of moved over to the Candida forum. I'm thinking the CFIDS and FM maybe originated for me in yeast overgrowth from going on the pill, and were perpetuated by many times being on antibiotics thru the years. So I'm doing a much stricter diet to eliminate yeast overgrowth, plus supplements for killing yeast, plus probiotics. It looks like it's the yeast overgrowth that causes leaky bowel syndrome resulting in allergies and wheat/gluten intolerance. The more I learn about Candida, and look at my own history, the more convinced I am that this is the way to go for me.
I don't have muscle and joint pain anymore. My thinking is clearer. The only thing I'm left with is fatigue and I'm taking long naps besides sleeping 8 hours a day. The difference is--I used to lay down a lot because of weakness and malaise, and now I feel fine, but I get very sleepy and the naps are a deep sleep. It just seems healthier somehow, like I'm healing. I'm getting impatient because I want to see weight loss with all this, but I've been sick for many years, and I guess it's going to take a while to heal.--Gail
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 16:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/178.6/150 Female 63"
BF:47.5%/37.8%/27%
Progress: 54%

HI! I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. I too have CFS amd FMS..with a few other auto immune disorders tossed in for good measure.

I have been getting to the gym 3 times a week for the last month...yay! for me! I go around 3 pm when I am fully awake. I am gettting ready to go right now. I have decided that if I only do one thing during the day..it will be going to the gym. I stated with swimming and after 2 weeks added some weight training (after I made sure no one was in the gym at "my" time)..well the gym was closed over the last 3 days..and I am chomping at the bit to get back. I have decided to go every day..alternating upper and lower body but always ending with laps in the pool..and of course stretching in the jacuzzi!

I mentioned on another thread that my feeling better (well enough to go the the gym) coincided with my stopping all use of Aspartame. I am curious to see if any other FMS sufferers are using it as much as I did? I used Equal in everything...even my milk! 20-30 packets a day.

Well off to the gym I go...I am still shy around other members I like to get there when it is empty..but I am getting better!

Wishing you all a pain free day!

Anita
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 20:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 168/163/128 Female 5'1.5''
BF:44%/44%/22-28%
Progress: 13%

Hi,

No I didn’t go thin yet and I haven’t given up.

Karrier, with FMS I do better with some video tapes like salsa dancing or hula dancing than going to the gym. I used to go to the gym or the pool but I was wasting so much time going there! Now, I can do the tapes every day, I don’t waist time going and coming back from the gym and I could start with as little as 8 minutes and slowly ad some minutes everyday. I actually feel a lot better doing those 6 days a week. For me, nothing beats starting the day with a little cardio!

Low carb didn’t seem to affect my Fibro nor did Aspartame. I avoid aspartame because it upset my liver but that’s another story. Or is it…
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 18:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 4'
BF:
Progress:
Default I have FMS, LUPUS and CFS

I am new, I go to a heated pool almost everyday. I manage almost 50 mins in the water. It leaves no aches but terrible tiredness.

There is no other exercise I can do at present as my spine had compress fractures in it last yr. This meant Spinal Fusion, I had 11 ribs fracture and 3 cracks in my pelvis. This was all due to the cortizone I am on.

I am actually stronger because of the exercise and everyone comments on my mobility despite the fusion. I am NOT able to walk with my frame or stand unaided but I feel so much better because of the exercise. It is hard, I am lucky I have a hubby who takes me, which makes me go LOL.

My need is to lose weight quickly as I am due for surgery and everyone is worried about the anasthetic.

Any help would be appreciated. so surprised to friend some Fellow FMS people.

Painfree days for you all

hugs frilly
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 05:57

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

There is alot about fibromyalgia on the NOMSG board. They seem to think eliminating MSG in the diet will help more than anything. It may be worth some thought.

http://www.nomsg.com/harmful.html
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 10:44

BF:

I hope you go back and read the older threads in this forum. A lot of them have good info and lots of links (also the sticky at the top of the forum). I've gotten many books from the library too that I didn't know about until I read about them on this forum. HOpe you find help. Gail
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 08:36

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Gailew,

What older threads and sticky are you talking about? I see only five threads. I have had a serious problem with fatigue/weakness ever since I've had shingles. The DR wants to test me for lupus ( don't think I have the sumptoms), cfs, and viruses.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 09:22

BF:

Scroll to the top of the page and click on Active Low-carber Forums and then scroll down till you see the FMS, Cfids, SAD forum and click on that. There's 8 pages. One journal that I found good to read is Peglyn's. I know there's others. I may even tackle Doreen's! (I know it'll be worth it, it's just so daunting to consider that many pages!) What I do is get the journal thread that I want to read and then click on 'search this thread' and type in candida. I still start reading at page one, but the word candida is highlighted in red. That way I can scroll quickly past a lot of messages that don't pertain to what I'm looking for. Even with that, it's pretty tedious, but there's valuable info there!
I was tested several times for lupus and RA thru the years. When I started to low carb those symptoms abated until I added wheat back to my diet. A good book that explains that for me is "Life without Wheat" but everyone's different so it may not be the answer for all with the joint pain and other symptoms.
I never used artificial sweeteners until I started lcing. Then I used splenda until a couple months ago, and now I use only stevia. I don't eat wheat, other gluten containing grains, or any processed foods, and avoid food that I'm personally allergic to. I'm basically eating just chemical free meats, veggies, healthy oils and nuts and seeds. I'm trying to develop a tasty muffin recipe that doesn't use eggs, dairy or grains. Talk about a challenge!
These steps helped me so much the only symptom I had left was fatigue. Now I am taking antifungals and having a lot of die off symptoms, which is mainly headaches, fatigue, and pain that moves around, mainly my lower back and joints. I have an appt. in 2 days with my ND so hopefully will have more info later.
Hope you find this helpful.--Gail

Last edited by Gailew : Tue, Jun-28-05 at 09:39.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 10:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

A hint for journal-reading ...

There's an option for viewing just the author's posts in the journals, gym logs, etc. For example, if the thread is full of well-wishes and "chat" posts from others and you'd prefer to only read posts by the journal's author ...

At the top of every thread, you'll see a button called "Thread Tools" .. click that, and on the drop down menu there's an option for Journal Format. The Journal Format will show only the posts by the person who started the thread.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 10:27

BF:

Thanks Doreen, I'm not computer savvy at all, so any help I get is appreciated. I really am going to read your journal--I just put it on my favorites list, so it's handy. It may take awhile! --Gail
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 14:47

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Thanks,
I saw only the top six threads until I went down to the bottom to options. Now I have all 8 pgs. I have been off wheat and sugar for years and very little processed foods.

I feel especially tired since having shingles but I can't find any info on that being an after effect.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 17:24

BF:

JAnn, I typed shingles into the search and it came back with 4 pages. I suppose some are talking about reroofing their house, but you should find some references to others' experiences, maybe with helpful info.--Gail