Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:22
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Lancaster/Chester County PA?????

Is there anyone from the Lancaster County or Chester County areas posting here?
I live in Gap, close to the border of the 2 counties.
Looking for another lo-carber to share tips and concerns with.
I just started Atkins a week ago and have a long road ahead of me. And as Bruce Springsteen says........ "You'll need a good companion for this part of the ride............."

Happy losing.......

Cheers,
Gypsy

Last edited by GypsyAngel : Mon, Sep-01-03 at 19:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:09

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Gypsy,

I am not from Lancaster county but I am in PA...Philadelphia. Welcome to the forum. There is so much information here and many great people.

Stop by my journal...I love the company!

Good Luck!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 11:34
Circling...

BF:

Hi Karen,
Thanks for the welcome. This forum is great - so much information, so little reading time!
I will check out your journal.

Cheers,
Gypsy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:09

BF:

Hi Gypsy,

Are you going to start your own journal? I would be happy to come and visit you too! Have a great day...

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 09:50
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I don't live in PA (I live in Tucson now), but I have to say that your post brought back memories. I grew up in Chester County -- Birchrunville, to be exact (a little, little, tiny, little dot on the map). Both of my siblings went to F&M College in Lancaster.

Sorry I couldn't be any help in the "local buddy" category, but our stats are similar, so if you wouldn't mind a cross-country buddy, let me know.

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:05

BF:

Hi Jeannie,

Of course I wouldn't mind having you for a buddy! Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you start a journal and I will come and visit you.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 23:50
Circling...

BF:

Hi Jeannie,
Thanks for the message. I just moved to this area at the end of last year. I live in Lancaster County and work in Chester County. I grew up in Jersey and then travelled a lot throughout my 20's. I actually lived in Tuscon for a while. I loved it there. I lived in Phoenix too but liked Tuscon better.
It look like you're doing well on this eating plan. Any advice? I've lost a total of 10lbs in my first two weeks. I'm real happy about that.
I do need to figure out how to start my journal.

Gypsy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:30
Doctor Dirt

Gypsy,

Yes, Tucson is a WAY better place than Phoenix. Tucson still has some of the small town charm, but Phoenix is just a big, hot city. Yuk.

I've been on Atkins for almost 3 months now. I don't really have TOO much advice, except to stick with it during the stall periods. You WILL have stalls, and it's easy to get frustrated. I didn't lose any weight this past week, so I've started to exercise a little more. I really hate working out, but getting on the Nordic Trak without those extra 20 pounds was just wonderful.

Where did you live in NJ? I used to live in Somerville (central NJ) and in Newton (northwest NJ).

Have a great day!
Jeannie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 23:40
Circling...

BF:

Hi Jeannie,
Congrats on your weight loss. That is great. I don't like working out either - probably part of the reason I weigh what I do! I joined Curves and actually don't hate it so I guess that's a start! I'm really dreading the first stall - I know it happens to everyone but when I don't see the numbers going down on the scale I get discouraged and it spirals down from there.
I know exactly where Newton is. I grew up in Mt. Arlington/Lake Hopatcong. Just a little south of Newton. My brother still lives just outside of Newton in Ogdensburg. Small world!
I finally started a journal. Stop by anytime!
Gypsy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:54
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

Hi people near and far.
I am from Allentown and travel most of eastern PA with my job. I also lived in Sparta NJ (lake mohawk), which is close to Newton. I worked in Newton. But that was in my past life......I'm remarried now 10 years.

Now I spend a lot of time in my car looking at projects all over most of the state. We just finished a project in Lititz, which I believe is in Lancaster Co, but I could be wrong on that.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:10
Doctor Dirt

Hi Jill,

Lake Mohawk?? Wow, small world. Do you, by any chance, remember a restaurant in Lafayette called Dear Old Dad's? I worked there for a bunch of years before it burned down.

And my sister lives in Allentown.

Jeannie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 21:12
Circling...

BF:

Hi Jill and Jeannie,
Sorry it took me so long to respond - I've been on vacation and just got in today.

Jill - It is a small world. I know Lake Mohawk well - actually looked at a house there before moving to PA last year. I lived in Hackettstown for a while and my ex-boyfriend lived in Andover so I spent a lot of time on Route 517 between the two towns. We used to drive up to lake Mohawk. Hung out at a restaurant/bar right on the water - can't think of the name right now - Croughs, maybe?
And Lititz is in Lancaster County.

Jeannie,
DEAR OLD DADS!!!!! Geez, that brings back memories! The boyfriend I mentioned above and I spent lots of time there! That was a fun little bar/restaurant. He lived off of Limestone Rd just south on RT 15 so it wasn't a far drive. We also hung out at The Exchange in Rockaway which I think was owned by the same guy who owned Dear Old Dads. This was all back in the early to mid 90's. Who knows - we may have run into each other there! The Dear Old Dads sign was still in the empty lot last time I drove by that corner.

CHeers,
Gypsy
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:29
Doctor Dirt

Hey Gypsy,

Small, small world. My husband and I lived in Newton but he worked in Lafayette and we went over to Lake Mohawk now and then -- I remember Krough's very well.

And I bet if I saw you we'd probably recognize each other. I worked at Dear Old Dad's for about 5 years -- from about 1990 to 1995 -- until I managed to earn enough money to go back to grad school. In fact, I truly owe part of my Ph.D. to that place. It was a wonderful place to work and I cried my heart out when it burned down. And yes you're right -- they also owned the Exchange in Rockaway. I used to work lunches at the Exchange once in awhile.

My husband still travels back to Lafayette on business, and he always goes to visit the old gang at Max's Station House on 517 in Andover. Max and Joanie are good friends of ours.

Even though Tucson is now home, you're making me miss the big green trees of NW Jersey.

Jeannie