Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 15:15

Plan: keto
Stats: 178/167/165 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello

Hi, I'm new to forums and posting. I have started IF and keto hopefully to help with diabetes and stop meds. I do have a question if anyone can relate; I am in full ketose (5.0) BC is 130 and fasting 20 hrs daily with no meds. I have been having good results until today when my BP increased not major but I have never had high BP. My question, is this normal adjustment?
I apologize if I'm posting this incorrectly I really have no idea what i'm doing!
Thanks in advance for any feedback
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 18:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im not qualified to answer your question. But I can welcome you to a wonderful forum.

A great place to hone your posting skills and learn all about the low carb life .
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 11:39

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you posted. There is a lot of good information here on posts throughout the site and from members. I'm not a doctor, but I do know that blood pressure can fluctuate depending on your stress level.....for example some doctors call it the "white coat syndrome" because patients get nervous at the doctor's office and its reflected in the patient's blood pressure. You did not say where your blood pressure was taken, but when my doctor thought I might have high blood pressure, he had me purchase a machine to take my blood pressure at home and I had to chart it for a month. I took it 2 or 3 times a day. That gives you a picture of your blood pressure readings rather than depending on one time at the doctor's office.

I have two machines. One takes the blood pressure with a wrist cuff and the other is a normal arm machine. I had to purchase a "large" arm cuff for it.

My advice would be to REALLY watch your salt/sodium intake and drink lots of water. Avoid processed foods that might have high sodium, including processed meats. Even on keto, some foods are better for you than others.

Mainly, don't panic and assume you have high blood pressure from one reading. Get a machine and test it yourself daily. The machines are not expensive and you can get one at Walgreens.

Welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 12:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yeah, I would get your own blood pressure monitor. I never had white coat syndrome until I did and then it was never normal at my PCP's (still normal at the gyno's, though). At home it's always normal. A doc told me that clinic personnel rarely know how to read it correctly if they are using a manual monitor so that matters, too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-19, 10:28

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Are you having any muscle pain? The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if you're low in potassium? I get crampy calves when my potassium is low. I primarily eat meat with as much salt as I want - I really like salt! - and, as a result, have to supplement potassium. I'm not a doctor, but my understanding is that sodium and potassium need to be in balance and that low potassium can cause higher BP's. I think I'm more of an exception as most low carbers who eat whole foods need extra salt, not potassium.