Wed, Oct-12-16, 18:51
Plan: Partially dietitian
Apple muffins (low-carb)
I found a site that listed the 50 best low-carb muffins from around the world. Anyway, I saw a photo of an apple muffin and followed it and it was all in German. I translated it and made the buggers, and they are delicious! Here is the recipe. Note: In Europe most recipes are in grams. If you have a kitchen scale, this is the time to use it. As for the oven temperature, the equivalent is 360 F. The net carbs are 10 grams. Fits in for my low-carb diet. I get 60 gs carbs max per day.
Low-Carb Apple Muffins
160g ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
125g applesauce (I used unsweetened and then added 3 drops liquid Splenda)
[I also added 1/3 of a small peeled grated apple (big holes on grater).]
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
1. Whisk together the ground almonds, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg with vanilla extract, apple sauce, grated apple, apple cider vinegar and honey.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
4. Spread the batter evenly in 6 muffin paper cups that you have placed in a muffin tin.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes at (360 F) 180 C degrees. Test with toothpick and make sure that they are not too dark. Yum!
Note: I prefer to grind my own almonds in my food processor. I also like using the almonds with skins. For some reason they seem to taste better that way. Your choice.
Nutrition info per muffin:
197 calories, 14.4 g fat, 10 g net carbs, 6.8 g protein