Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 17:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Results of Coconut Oil

Hi, I know that there has been talk about coconut oil and its uses, but I was wondering if it actually works to rev up your metabolism. If you have used coconut oil and it has helped you lose weight please let me know. I have been stalled for several months now, have tried the Meat and Eggs (M&E) diet and nothing is working/ helping me with my stall.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 18:25
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Hi Kelly1,

I use coconut oil in my coffee w/a little whipping cream in the morning. I cycle on 2 weeks & off 2 weeks with it so my body doesn't get too used to it. It is a metabolizer for me & a skin & hair beautifier! Don't use it after 4p or you'll be up all night, or at least I am! It brought me out of my stall. I use Jarrow EVCO(green label), I like the coconut flavor in my oil! Great job on the weight loss so far! Keep it going down! Best wishes! ~Cheryl

Last edited by CValentine : Fri, Jun-29-07 at 18:26. Reason: sp
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 20:52
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been using CO in my coffee for some time now as well. I discovered it via this forum and believed in its benefits, though I wasn't entirely certain of its effects to start. I only use about 1 tablespoon a day, but I did come to realize that on the mornings I didn't use it, I didn't have the same level of energy. So metabolism or not, I love it for the energy! I've noticed if I have that in my coffee and some breakfast, I can also go a bit longer before eating again (great source of fat) and I continued to enjoy it while trying to up my fat, which was yielding great weight loss. Kelly, if you're curious about the higher fat approach, there is a thread or two on this forum dedicated to it. I think Larry mentioned it already and Elle did dabble with that a bit. I was definitely having success with a higher fat ratio (combined with my mininimum protein requirements) for weight loss and was only "thwarted" (so to speak!) by becoming pregnant. If you scroll back into one of the threads you can see the ratios and calories I consumed per day and how I was losing.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 16:44

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

As long as I keep my intake high, I will lose weight. Not gobs of weight but I have lost weight since I began using it. I know that it is common to be kept up at night if you use it to late in the day. But, it hasn't bothered my. Actually I took a tablespoon last night at bed time and I went right to sleep. I also do intermittent fasting and both seem to be working quite well.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 21:07
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

I used about 2 TBS per day for a month but didn't see any difference other than the extra calories. I was in a serious stall and it didn't help me. I've read here that several people were helped by it though.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 11:49

BF:

It is recommended to use around 3 1/2 tablespoons a day. It is high in calories but it is metabolised differently than other fats and carbohydrates. I do better when I consume a higher amount than 2 tablespoons. If I use a smaller amount ot doesn't seem to increase my metabolism at all although it does keep my skin soft. I also use coconut milk...it makes great smoothies.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 12:26

Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Has anyone read or heard anything about which is better: capsules or liquid? I think that the capsules would be easier to take.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 14:13
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1
Has anyone read or heard anything about which is better: capsules or liquid? I think that the capsules would be easier to take.

I actually found both at my local GNC and decided to pick up the capsules in addition to the oil, just in case. (It was great one morning when I didn't have coffee and still wanted the supplement.) I haven't read about the differences, but the obvious one to me is the fat levels of course. I imagine for those who want the benefits but don't want to fat intake the capsules are a better option. Also too if someone doesn't want the classic "oil slick" on their coffee in the morning, the capsule is the way to go. heh
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1

I take the capsules when I go on vacation. They travel better but there is not very much oil in the capsules so it is very difficult to take enough. Actually your body absorbs some of the oil's benefits when used topically.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 04:56

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I'm glad to hear that you get some of the benefits using it topically. Is it more than soft skin? I developed an allergy to it and decided to mix it with olive oil and organic shea butter for my skin. I just hated to waste a brand new jar!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 08:55
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
It is recommended to use around 3 1/2 tablespoons a day. It is high in calories but it is metabolised differently than other fats and carbohydrates. I do better when I consume a higher amount than 2 tablespoons. If I use a smaller amount ot doesn't seem to increase my metabolism at all
Thanks for that post Black57 I may give it another go. When I use it topically it really works like magic on dry skin (I live in a desert so that's a chronic problem).
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 14:49

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you're stalled at 135 for months, then maybe 135 is actually a healthy weight for you, and your body is going to resist any efforts to get below that. 135 sounds like a pretty healthy weight to me.

Do you think this could be a possibility?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 15:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

i know its very hard, but just fast for 1 day, or drop your calories to about 700-800 and contract your eating window to 1-23, which means pick 1 hour in your day when its best for you to eat and pack in all your 700-800 calories in that 1 hour, and fast until same time next day. try it for 2-3 days and see how you go. keep it low carb ofcourse. if you go for the 1-23 method, no calories of any kind from drinks, your only allowed water, black coffee, tea without milk/suger/cream,

make sure your getting enough magnesium and potassium, magnesium especially since it is a cofactor for a ton of enzymes. (including those that break down adipose tissue). if not take some magnesium supplements, the expensive ones. take about 300mg of it per day in supplmentation form. you should hopefully get the other ~100mg from the food you eat.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 17:48
Registered Member

Stats: 315/234/190 Female 5'8"
BF:Quite
Progress: 65%

Reading this just now, and as I posted elsewhere, I'd bought the tablets of CO but realized that the dosage equivalence to get anything like 3 tablespoons with the gelcaps would be like 20 of them a day.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 13:36

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I had read that you need to take a ton of caplets to get the 3.5 TBS a day. I use CO I got at the health food store each morning in my pumpkin protein shake. I don't care to use it for frying eggs or scrabbled eggs. Works great for stir fry though.