Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%
Default Is the fad really on the way out?

Today i went to Walmart to replenish some of my LC items that had gone low. I was really surprised to find the products off the shelves and i was told that the fad had come to pass and that there was no money in it. I just can't believe it. What do you people have to say abour that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I noticed that WalMaert was dumping a lot of the LC items here as well. To them it was a fad and yes there was a fad aspect to it. Suddenly there were all kinds of LC everything on the shelves. Everyone started carrying low carb items.

Now, at least around here, the low carb stuff is in a few places and the rest I buy direct on the internet.

The way of life is a fad to a lot of people, but not me......or millions of others.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 22:17

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

The low carb items were a fad, you don't need them. The WOE is based around real, whole foods. I know people use these from time to time, but of course, once people realized most of the tasted bad and they got bad reactions from them, they kinda phased themselves out. I am not too heart broken over it, but then again I am not sure what you were going to stock up on.

They were just a short lived money making product that was way too expensive and that the consumer finally realized they really didn't need.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 18:15

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The danger is that people love and crave starch....read sugar. There are some that will leave the low carb movement, just as they left the low fat. It's just too darn hard. There are so many posts here of people leaving and trying low carb...yet again, and again. It's an old song and dance. There are so many diets out there, and they all work. Trouble is that no one wants to stay on them. Obesity in this country is rising all the time. People like us, that stay and make it are a minority
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 20:11

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
The danger is that people love and crave starch....read sugar. There are some that will leave the low carb movement, just as they left the low fat. It's just too darn hard. There are so many posts here of people leaving and trying low carb...yet again, and again. It's an old song and dance. There are so many diets out there, and they all work. Trouble is that no one wants to stay on them. Obesity in this country is rising all the time. People like us, that stay and make it are a minority

I agree with except for one point. No one "diet" works for everyone. Even Atkins acknowledges that. But you are correct the yo-yo dieting is probably more deadly than eating Margarine by the pound.........

Also, a diet is a short term action to achieve a short term effect. Diets are prone to failure and are flawed programs based on flawed logic in most cases.

A way of life, or a life plan is a whole different thing. Most LC lifestyles are just that. Atkins, South Beach and many more are based on eating this way till the day you get to look at the brown side of the lawn forever. And the goal is total health, not just a trim waistline. More than that, their goal is a long and healthy life, not a good looking young corpse.

Also, to be fair the old food guide pyramid was flawed, big time. I read somewhere that the old pyramid was similar to the diet fed to hogs to fatten em up quick. The Govt. rarely does things right, are you gonna trust them to tell you what is healthy? The new food guide pyramid may be better, I guess. I wouldn't know as you need a 7th year degree in rocket science and sueth saying skills to figure that complicated mess out.

Moreover, the low fat high carb diet is bad ju ju for a lot of people. Why? Because people are so inactive on top of eating like that, as well as apathetic and uncommited. It can't happen to me, right?

But the bottom line is, if you are gonna do a diet, good luck to ya and let me know how much weight you gain. The same goes for most people that do "their" version of any given diet or yo yo diet. Tweaking is as bad as cheating.

Now if you want to talk a way of life and a nutritional approach to total health that includes healthy whole foods and excersise, LC or otherwise, well then you are on track to success and total health.

Don't go on and off anything, pick a way of eating and stick to it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 17:47

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think Weight Watchers is just as effective as Atkins, and all of the low carb, etc. The success rate and maintaining it is just as good. Takes longer on Weight Watchers, but so what? The end result is what you want. Low carb diets are just too difficult for the average obese or just plain overweight person. That is why we have so many "hey, I'm back...this time for good" on the intro boards. Yeah...right. I'm an all or nothing person. That is why I have maintained my weight for so long. Back in the late 1990's, I thought I was the only person on Atkins. I stuck it out. I had no support. I did not even have a computer then. Low carb is just a fad now, and probably on its way out, like low fat diets.for most people Lucky few will stick it out and maintain their weight loss and new lifestyle for years to come.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 17:50

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
The low carb items were a fad, you don't need them. The WOE is based around real, whole foods. I know people use these from time to time, but of course, once people realized most of the tasted bad and they got bad reactions from them, they kinda phased themselves out. I am not too heart broken over it, but then again I am not sure what you were going to stock up on.

They were just a short lived money making product that was way too expensive and that the consumer finally realized they really didn't need.

Thank you! So refreshing to find someone who feels the same as I do!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 17:57

BF:

I agree that this needs to be a way of life! Someone, recently, commented that I was too into this! Well, sure I am! I have found what works and makes me feel healthy so why wouldn't I be really into it? And, I don't buy the getting bored excuse...yes, I said EXCUSE, because that is what it is! There are too many yummy low carb alternatives, but folks want fast, convenient, and processed! They don't want to take the time in the kitchen to whip up a healthy alternative! Well, not every one, but certainly a good number! Like tonight, I am want chocolate! I won't get the Snicker low carb bar...yuk...instead I will more than likely make George Stella's brownies, which, by the way, are way better than the snickers could ever be! The only problem is most folks don't want to take the time to make stuff from scratch.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 17:59

Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Weight Watchers is all about how to lose weight and still have all the disorders of hyperinsulinemia. So it's not all about losing weight. To my mind, low carb eating is far easier and more satisfying than any low fat regimen with its tasteless uninteresting food.

People who tried to get into low carb eating by using low carb substitution products were doomed to failure. Whole, fresh foods are far better than all that stuff. The only low carb substition product I use regularly are the Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 18:06

BF:

Subbing one or two items isn't a bad thing, but gosh, seems most folks want to sub everything with shakes and bars! I rarely ready about veggies and berries around here! No wonder folks think we don't eat them, because it really looks like we don't! I was never a veggie fan, but I have found that I really do need them to lose weight and feel healthy! Shakes and bars just can't replace them!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 18:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
Subbing one or two items isn't a bad thing, but gosh, seems most folks want to sub everything with shakes and bars! I rarely ready about veggies and berries around here! No wonder folks think we don't eat them, because it really looks like we don't! I was never a veggie fan, but I have found that I really do need them to lose weight and feel healthy! Shakes and bars just can't replace them!

A lot of people who go on low-carb plans, are coming from a low-fat plan. I know I did.

It is difficult to low-fat without eating lots of processed food items. When I started low-carbing, I bought low-carb processed food items as I thought they were necessary. It took me a few months to figure out that low-carbing does not require processed foods. Most natural foods are low-carb. I haven't had a manufactured low-carb item (excluding soft drinks) in over two years. It's easier for me to low-carb with natural foods.

Last edited by Dodger : Sat, Jul-09-05 at 18:26.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 18:20

BF:

Same here! I starved myself with low fat from 302 pounds to 232 pounds and low carbing was a life saver for me! I didn't have a hard time giving up processed stuff!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 22:25

Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%

I use to like Walmart LC specialties. The LC meat sauce that i used a bit as if it was ketchup. LC peanut butter to taste right out of the jar as a reminder about how it taste like. I like Walmart for the huge bag of Splenda for only $9.99
Like most of you i never bought the expensive imitation of grain product just because they have LC written on.
Nevertheless, I get the feeling that a movement is in full force to stop LC ing. I'm sure the agricultural lobby groups do not like LC. How do you feel about that?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 22:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot
I'm sure the agricultural lobby groups do not like LC. How do you feel about that?

Why would they be against low carbing????? Oh, you mean against the low carb products? I think the folks that were buying that stuff in record amounts found that they weren't losing weight the way they "thought" they should so they either went off the diet or began eating cleanly! Maybe the demand for the product just isn't as big as it used to be? That is really what retail is all about! If a product sits too long on the shelf then obviously it isn't a seller so it gets cleared out and replaced with something they feel will sell! I am terrified...I know, a bit extreme, that Land O Lakes splenda sweetened canned whipped cream will disappear! It's not low carb, per se, but man...the flavor is awesome! My husband, who has never had a chubby moment in his life even loves the stuff! You'd think the ag groups would love low carbing...it means they are selling more stuff!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 10:18

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

WW is great--if you want to feel like a walking time bomb! I tried to make some LC ice cream last week using 2% milk. Not only was it yukky--it brought back all those feelings of being ready to explode that I had on WW!