Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-12, 11:41
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Raspberry Smoothie

Just the ticket for a hot afternoon or a quick breakfast on the run! If you haven't discovered the "incredibly filling" quality of glucomannan powder yet, you will be astounded at how full you are after having a smoothie or pudding made with it. It's a bit pricey, but as it is used in very small amounts, a 1# bag of this stuff lasts a very long time. Today I tried my first smoothie with it. Mmmmm it sure was good. Gave me a sense of being full from breakfast right up until lunchtime. As it thickens things up, it makes your usual smoothie quite a bit thicker.

I’m watching my calories now as well as carbs, in order to get my last 17 lbs. off. Low carbing alone just isn’t working to do that, as I was stalled at the same weight for two full years! No amount of tweaking of Atkins was getting my last 25# off. Every other day now, I restrict my total caloric intake drastically (500-600 calories); then every other day, I increase my caloric intake to 1600-1700 calories. I’m hoping that will keep my metabolic set point so confused it can’t implement countermeasures to hang on to the last 25# I need to lose. In a sense, what I’m doing is very much like Intermittent Fasting, so I hopefully reap many of the benefits one gets with that approach to eating. But my attempts at IF last year didn’t suit my hunger needs nor our daily routines and schedule.

With a lot of help from glucomannan powder (from the Konjac tuber), which is virtually a pure fiber, zero value food, I am able to make smoothies and puddings that are extremely filling for those low-calorie days. I’ve even been known to have a glucomannan powder smoothie on my higher calorie days, as they are so satisfying and filling. Glucomannan or Konjac is the very same substance that shirataki noodles are made from, if you are familiar with those. Today’s smoothie took the place of breakfast and easily got me to lunch without any intervening mid-morning hunger pangs. These would also be very refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. This recipe isn’t suitable until Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) berries and nuts level.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. unsweetened frozen raspberries (I buy Great Value brand at Walmart)
1 pkt. stevia
4 drops liquid Splenda
7 ice cubes
1½ c. cold water
3/4 tsp. glucomannan powder

DIRECTIONS: Add all ingredients to a blender and blend a couple minutes until nice and smooth. Pour into a serving glass and ENJOY!

VARIATIONS: You can add 1-2 T. protein powder if you like, or a splash of cream, but those variations are not calculated in the stats below. Of course, other berries can be used as well. When you get to the higher fruits level, you can make these with seeded watermelon or peaches.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 very large serving containing:

70 calories
1.6 g fat
32 g carbs, 18.4 g fiber, 13.6 g NET CARBS (using fewer raspberries will lower carbs)
3 g protein
13 mg sodium
343 mg potassium
61% RDA Vitamin C, 14% E, 26% copper, 22% iron, 18% magnesium, 93% manganese, 11% niacin, 10% phosphorous, 13% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 06:26

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Thanks for this recipe! I like the idea of using glucomannan powder in a smoothie, especially if it's filling, as I have a lot of it and rarely use it.

What do you think the sugar equivalent is of your sweeteners? I'll probably use Swerve and stevia drops.

I know tastes are invidivual, but you set me straight once before when I was about to attempt an ill advised conversion.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 16:17
Patience Personified

I'm adding 1/2-3/4 tsp. gluc powder to all my smoothies nowadays. I haven't used Swerve yet. I would think this is about the equivalent of 3 tsp. sugar, so however much your products call for to equal that much sugar? But add slowly and taste as you go to play it safe, as is always advisable when it comes to sweeteners.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 19:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been making strawberry sorbet from 7-8 frozen strawberries. A Tbl. of lemon juice and about 1/2 tsp of NuNaturals stevia and 1/2 cup of water. It doesn't work in my blender, but works great in my Ninja Prep.

I ran out of strawberries and only had 2 left. I used some frozen raspberries I found in the freezer. Wow! It came out incredibly good. I didn't add the lemon juice with the raspberries. They don't need extra tartness.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 06:40
Patience Personified

Sounds good, Nancy. My ice cream maker will do sorbets, but I honestly never think to use it for that. I really need to start exploring sorbet making more. Love them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 08:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't need to use an ice cream maker for it because it's already like a soft sorbet once it gets blended. But I just make one serving at a time.