Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:16

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Tuesday, Decembruary 1

April fools!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 07:44
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Have a good day all!

Here are a couple of them:

#1: The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in, and many called up wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti trees. To this question, the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best." Check out the actual broadcast archived on the BBC's website (You need the RealVideo player installed to see it, and it usually loads very slowly). -More-
Comments

#2: Sidd Finch
In its April 1985 edition, Sports Illustrated published a story about a new rookie pitcher who planned to play for the Mets. His name was Sidd Finch and he could reportedly throw a baseball with startling, pinpoint accuracy at 168 mph (65 mph faster than anyone else has ever been able to throw a ball). Surprisingly, Sidd Finch had never even played the game before. Instead, he had mastered the "art of the pitch" in a Tibetan monastery under the guidance of the "great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa." Mets fans everywhere celebrated at their teams's amazing luck at having found such a gifted player, and Sports Illustrated was flooded with requests for more information. But in reality this legendary player only existed in the imagination of the writer of the article, George Plimpton. -More-
Comments

#3: Instant Color TV
In 1962 there was only one tv channel in Sweden, and it broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert, Kjell Stensson, appeared on the news to announce that thanks to a newly developed technology, all viewers could now quickly and easily convert their existing sets to display color reception. All they had to do was pull a nylon stocking over their tv screen, and they would begin to see their favorite shows in color. Stensson then proceeded to demonstrate the process. Reportedly, hundreds of thousands of people, out of the population of seven million, were taken in. Actual color tv transmission only commenced in Sweden on April 1, 1970.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi everyone! I'm back from Phoenix and sooooo glad to be home. It's amazing how much of a homebody I am. I love vacations, but I can only take so much of being away and living out of a bag. Today is my 3 week evaluation of CAD, and I am seriously rethinking going back to my old ways. I am sick of eating carbs, and while I know I don't have to eat as many carbs as I have been, I don't seem to be able to stop with my habits. I honestly feel like I was eating healthier before, more fruits, more nuts, more things that actually have nutritional value, as opposed to rolls and desserts. But maybe that is just what I needed, to give myself what I thought I'd been wanting for so long, and realize, as Bawdy seems to have done as well, that I really just don't want those kinds of foods anymore. I'm afraid to weigh today, will do so in a couple minutes, b/c I am certain that I am up. It's almost impossible not to be with eating out for dinner every single night. I am so glad to be back where I can cook what I want and eat lots of veggies again. I feel very veggie deprived right now. Well, I am going to go face the scale right now and see just how bad the damage is....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:47

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

HI ALL!
I just finished my Christmas list -then looked at the calender!
GOOD ONE Bawdy!!!!!

Dawn, LOVE the funny factoids!!! I had seen the "spaghetti harvest!"

Well I am slowly incorperating the lc milk again, BUT I am limiting it to one serving and cutting back on calories in other places! Are any of you automatic eaters? Meaning every morning after I eat I just NEED My hot chocolate!!!! Even if I put it off I end up having it as a mid-morning snack!

ELAINE, Do we have to send the great Yeti out for your search and rescue?? PLEASE Just give us a sign that you are alright!!!! MISS YOU! Take care!!!

I will try to write more later, I have some bulls and 2 dry cows to take to the sale to day!

Have a Safe and Fun April Fools day!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:09

Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Good morning everyone!

Ok, I weighed in, and I'm down like 2 lbs. I thought it would be more, but with the 45 lbs coming off so fast, this is ok. I know I've lost some inches, because I tried on some old clothes, and I see progress! I need to start exercising, I haven't done that yet. This may sound silly, but I was thinking about running up and down our stairs a few times a day, and taking my dog for a walk too. I would love to not be winded after walking up the stairs!

I bought some low carb tortillas, yogurt and chocolate peanutbutter ice cream bars yesterday. The ice cream bars feel like I've cheated, so yummy!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:18

Yikes, I feel like I must confess my weight. 149!!! That means that I am 3 lbs up, which may be water, but makes me feel very gross about myself. I must get myself together. I am definitely done with CAD. Obviously I cannot handle it, although I thought I could at the start. Lesson learned. I just cannot have that much freedom, and moderation is not something that I am innately just able to do. So I am looking for mucho support right now, and a swift kick in the behind to get "clean" again.

Song-Great job on the 2 lb loss!

Lissette-Yes, I too, have always been an automatic eater. I thought that CAD would help me to better distinguish hunger, but it didn't. I just have to use my mind to cut myself off, b/c biologically, I think I am broken

I'll check back later.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 09:40

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good morning

Yesterday's menu:

B - 1 serving Atkins blueberry cereal, 1/2 cup CCD 2% milk, 3 cups coffee w/H&H splenda

S - 1/3 carbwise bar

L - salad (3 cups romaine/baby spinach), 3 oz grilled chicken strips, 5 grape tomatos, 3 slices cucumber, 2 red onion rings, 1 oz mexican cheese, almond accents, light balamic vinegar dressing, 10 pistachios

S - 1/2 lc tortilla, 2 slices deli turkey breast, 1/2 tsp honey mustard

15 min ab class, 1 hour yoga

D - 2 eggs scrambled w/3TBS chopped onion, 2 oz cubed ham, 1 oz shredded mexican cheese, 1 sl LC cinnamon toast w/tsp butter, small serving (1/3 cup?) mixed fruit salad (fresh cantelope, pineapple, strawberries) w/whipped cream

Dessert - 1 carb options ice cream sandwich

Wendy - I also learned this lesson the hard way. Since I was only trying to have a RM once a week it took a bit longer for the weight to creep back on but the end result is the same. I won't ever say I won't eat carbs again but a once in a while treat is all it can be. While I was in Vegas I ate completely off plan and nothing tasted that great and it made me feel awful. I actually looked foward to coming home to start over. We are here for you

Song - WTG on the 2 pound loss!

Dawn - cute toons

Elaine - Still praying for you Look foward to you posting again soon.

I am going through the frustation of seeing results in some places on my body but not others. I definately see the ab class paying off which is nice but would still like to shrink my upper arms. I have wonderfully tight muscles surrounded by about 4-5 inches of unwanted fat and it won't budge! Same issue in my hip/outer thigh area. I am going to add more pillates on the weekend and see if that doesn't get things moving.

to everyone

Last edited by Chamellie : Thu, Apr-01-04 at 10:03.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:14

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good morning all.

today is my big "talk/presentation" i have to give. i am a little nervous already, will probably be really nervous once i get there.

i am either estimating wrong or i am experencing calorie creep. i have not been under 2000 yet this week. i went ahead and put all i plan to eat today in fitday though and if i stick to the plan i am okay. i think i need to have more salads for lunches. they fill me up pretty good and all that lettuce is pretty low calorie. that calorie creep is not favorable on the scale. i haven't seen the 199 yet again.

Wendy--sending support and good wishes your way.......i know i couldn't handle the RM's every day without going overboard. i do have them on occation as treats and it is actually something that keeps me on plan. if i know i have an occation comming up i can look forward to the treat and say to myself, just hold out till then. everybody needs to find what works for them.

Dawn-- wow a facial sounds good. what i really want though is a manicure. my hands are pretty rough and pretty un-girly-looking (hazzards of the job i have). one of these days i want to get a manicure and see what they can do. the only problem is i know it won't last very long.

Songberrie-- yes, after a while loss slows down for most people. pretty soon you will be joining us in the praying for the woosh fariy club...actually that sounds pretty negative. woo hooo congrats on your 2lbs gone forever!!!!! i have also heard that sometimes your body needs to take a break and catch up with your loss and after that happens it starts comming off regularly again.

Lissette--i think i qualify for the automatic eating thing with my afternoon snack. it only happens at work, when i am at home i have no problem. but midway through the afternoon i need a snack. even though sometimes i still feel full from lunch.

have a great day everybody!!!!!
will check in again this afternoon after i get back from my meeting.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:16

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Wendy's motivational pic:

Click here if photo is being shy

Welcome home.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:55

BF:

Hi, all!

Hey, Wendy. I hear you! I started CALP at 164, and I'm at 168 this morning. I'm still going to give it some time, as I've felt pretty lousy lately with the heavier carbs. I think I got it out of my system and will eat "better" carbs. I enjoy not having to count every last morsel, so I'm going to just be aware of what I'm eating, avoid snacking, avoid alcohol, and eat a balanced dinner with a salad and veggies (at least one, if not two kinds) every night.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:06

Thanks for all the support! It means a lot to know that others care when you mess up, you know?

Acipenser-Good luck on the presentation! I like your mentality of allowing yourself reward meals on special occasions. I've never allowed myself to indulge even for things like Christmas or Thanksgiving. I think that's why I always felt so deprived. I feel like CAD has given me tools to allow a special CAD day with a reward meal once in a blue moon. It certainly kept all the negative results minimal, at first anyway. I am realizing though that like most of us, I cannot do it every day, or probably every week. Thanks for the support.

Ellie-I was originally going to just do one reward meal per week, but then figured I should just give the whole program a try instead. I think us carb addicts (and I still do believe that I am one) just cannot handle that much freedom, b/c too often we make bad choices, at least I know I do. How long did it take you to undo the damage? I'm also frustrated with areas of my body not being as firm as I'd like (although after stepping on the scale today, I know that a lot of it is the regain of weight). But even when I was 146, I was happy with my weight, but certainly not all toned. I'm always so frustrated b/c you get such conflicting advice depending on where you look. Some say cardio is the key, others say weightlifting, others say both. But again, as in WOE, I doubt it is that simple and what is ideal for me is probably not ideal for someone else. That being said, I have no idea how to begin to figure out the best exercise program for me, one that I can faithfully stick to and actually produces the results I am looking for. How did you determine what you are currently doing?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 11:11

Bawdy-I've also not been feeling ideal. I think I thought I was at first, if that makes any sense. I think I was just happy to be able to eat what I had been depriving myself of, and so I felt good. But physically, I've been feeling sluggish, icky, tired, and all plugged up, especially this past week. And despite the initial freedom from cravings, all I've done the last week is thought about my next reward meal. Now that might mean that I wasn't following the plan to a tee, but I don't even have the patience or desire to try to do CAD anymore. I am considering maintaining some of the principles, such as no snacking and 60 minutes max per meal, but plan on redistributing my carbs evenly per day again, and having fruit/cottage cheese for breakfast. Do you know how sick I am of green beans at 6 am????

I gotta go get an oil change now and then unpack and do a million loads of laundry and get some groceries. Have a good day.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:28

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good afternoon everyone I am on a little late today as I was the "mommy helper" at preschool today. All the little ones wanted to know why I wasnt eating a snack with them, ie. fruit snacks and apple juice, and I just told them I would eat later at lunch. Too hard to explain to a bunch of three year olds.
But, when we are home, even my three year old understands that mommy doesnt eat sugar anymore.

My 15 yr DS is in a foods class at high school. Yesterday during dinnner he asked me if it was safe eating no carbs. This was while eating meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, and a huge mixed green salad. I explained carbs to him and he was satisfied. He was just worried we werent eating any carbs and wanted us to be safe

Wendy-you are just a couple of days behind where I was on my thinking of CAD. I am just sticking with what works for me. I seem to have no sense of control for a RM and do much better with small snacks during the day and eating sensibly.

Lissette-my automatic eating thing is about 8pm. Finally all the kids are settling down, the little ones are ready for bed and the older ones have scattered to their rooms. I get the computer and I like to kick back with my feet up and have coffee and a treat.

Yea on a new month starting. Goal is that I would really like to hit 160 by the end of the month. But-I am NOT going to obsess and drive family nuts with this. Well, try not to obsess

Hope everyone has a great day,
Love, Carrie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:55

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Wendy - After the holidays it was very obvious to me that I had gained so I tried just doing LC without 'rewards' but all that did was I maintained the 5 pound gain. I decided to get it under control by doing strict Atkins induction to get rid of the cravings and clean out the carbs. I followed it much stricter than when I first started and it took about 3 weeks to get back to where I was before which was much better than I anticipated. I blew it Vegas but jumped right back on and then after about 4 days of induction started going back to more of my PP way of eating. I dropped calories about 2 weeks ago ( at least I try ) to see if I can get some trouble spots moving. As far as exercise I believe you need a combo of cardio and strength. The strength does not need to come from weight lifting but can be Yoga, Pillates, etc. I did weight lifting for so long but decided to give it up for Yoga. Yoga requires a tremendous amount of strengh and you work every muscle...and then some You can also incorporate weights...I just stopped to see if I can shrink my arms. My logic is maybe the weights were adding too much bulk? As for cardio, it burns calories, plain and simple and is also good for your heart! It also works the legs pretty good too. Start out with something you enjoy doing.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 16:18

BF:

Wah!

I want there to be a magic solution that works for everyone, all the time, but specifically for me!

Geezum crow! Why does this have to be so flippin' hard!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?