Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 11:48

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Q about Vitamins & Magnesium Supplements

I have never been one to like to take Vitamins of any kind unless I was pregnant. They always either made me sick at my stomach or caused constipation plus I was afraid of getting too much of any one thing. So, I decided to buy a Multivitamin Supplement and some Magnesium supplements. Now, here are my questions regarding those. I bought the Walgreens brand of One Daily Women`s Mutli-Vitamins it says take 1 per day. I bought the MagOx 400 concentrated form of Magnesium it says just one dose delivers over 120% of the daily value. Its sugar and gluten free. I am suppose to take 2 of those per day. Is it safe to take both this Multi Vitamin along with this Magnesium Supplement? I am not asking for Medical Advice, just wondering if there are others out there who do take vitamins and magnesium supplements together and if they are safe? Sort of a Layman's Opinion. Yes, I could just call the pharmacist and ask, but would rather hear from someone here who is doing it and has experienced taking them. Should I take both at the same time or one in the morning and one at night? I am anemic and suppose to be taking Iron supplements but again they upset my stomach, I am thinking taking those along with a Multi would be Iron Overload. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 13:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Magnesium comes in many forms and doses, reaction will be very individual. Take all your mag. at night (it relaxes you and may be a gentle laxative) and the multi in the morning, as that has B vitamins which energize some people. You may find after some time on Atkins, higher in meats with iron, your anemia may improve and will no longer need the iron, but for now, what you bought seems perfectly fine to this lay person. I take a multi plus extra 800 mag at night, Vit D, Omega 3 in fish oil, and too many others to remember

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-12-13 at 15:03.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Magnesium comes in many forms and doses, reaction will be very individual. Take all your mag. at night (it relaxes you and may be a gentle laxative) and the multi in the morning, as that has B vitamins which energize some people. You may find after some time on Atkins, higher in meats with iron, your anemia may improve and will no longer need the iron, but for now, what you bought seems perfectly fine to this lay person. I take a multi plus extra 800 mag at night, Vit D, Omega 3 in fish oil, and too many others to remember

Thanks Jey! Will do. I took the Multi Already and will take the Mag this evening.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 15:54

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Just wanted to add: If you take any thyroid replacement hormone, please put three to four hours away from taking calcium

I take my vitamin D3 when I wake up. My calcitonin is all through the day (missing parathyroids), and my NDT (natural dessicated thyroid) is split half in am (1.5 grain) and half six hours later (1.5 grain) and trying to work the calcitonin around that is a pita. I take my Omega 3 at night, my GABA, and magnesium too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 17:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Is this CHELATED magnesium? If not, I'd take it a bit cautiously. It can have a laxative effect.

Chelated forms are absorbed much better.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 22:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Is this CHELATED magnesium? If not, I'd take it a bit cautiously. It can have a laxative effect.

Chelated forms are absorbed much better.

I am going to assume it is Not Chelated because it does not have the word Chelated on the box. I am not sure about posting a link here so do not want to violate any rules but the name of the product is MagOx 400. The box reads: Most Concentrated Form of Magnesium* Serving Size is 2 Tablets and one serving equals 482.6 mg which they state is 121% of the RDA?? If it causes loose bowels (sorry tmi) or stomach issues I am not so sure I want to take it. Because that was one reason I went Gluten Free as I had that issue daily, every time I ate. Since I began eating this way I have not had one single solitary episode, everything seems to have regulated itself to normal. I have not been that way in years, I am afraid to take something if it is gonna upset my stomach like that. Any thoughts?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 03:03

Take just one or even half a tablet if you can cut it, to start and slowly build up, as tolerated.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-13-13 at 03:58.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 10:22

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Most magnesium products are apt to give you looser stools - they pull extra water into the bowel is how it happens. A chelated type is less likely (the most absorbable chelate I know of is magnesium glycinate). As has been mentioned, starting slow and working up to a higher dose is often suggested on some magnesium supplements and sensitivity varies from person to person. Nighttime is a great time to take mag or calcium since some people's sleep disturbances and insomnia are a result of a deficiency in one, the other, or both of these minerals.

Magnesium is a safe product to take with almost any multi; most multivitamins do not have much in the way of calcium or magnesium (especially a one a day style vitamin), so usually you have to take these minerals separately anyway to get close to the daily % recommended. Many cal/mag supplements, when taken to the specific dose suggested on their labels, will give you at least 500-600mg of magnesium at full dose, so the amount suggested on yours is common and unlikely to be "too much."

"Too much" of a nutrient from supplementation is somewhat rare; the ones to be most careful of are some of the fat soluble ones (K1, vit. A - not from beta carotene - and vit. E) and iron (toxic in high doses, and shouldn't be taken unless you are anemic or told by your physician to take it for whatever reason). For most other things you are pretty safe taking whatever a bottle suggests you to take unless you have some weird medical condition or are taking prescriptions that tell you NOT to take certain supplements with your prescription.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 13:02

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and took two of the Magnesium last night before bed. I did not notice any side effects from it at all. So I am guessing I should be able to tolerate it at the regular dose.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 16:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fatmomma
I bought the MagOx 400 concentrated form of Magnesium it says just one dose delivers over 120% of the daily value.

I don't like taking pills but I did try MgO after having some of the symptoms people here talk about when needing Mg. MgO had me running to the bathroom too often. Now I take GNC Super Magnesium which does not have MgO and even then only sparingly.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fatmomma
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and took two of the Magnesium last night before bed. I did not notice any side effects from it at all. So I am guessing I should be able to tolerate it at the regular dose.

Great. A low carb diet is diuretic, especially so at the start, when you may lose too many electrolytes. If you start having muscle cramps or become constipated, you might even add to that dose 1 tab at a time. See if this bottle works well for you, going forward know there are many other formulations, some chelated, some mixes of magnesium glycinate, oxide and citrate, elemental dose is often not the dose on the bottle, some are powders, some tabs. It has got to be the most confusing supplement on the market but necessary for so many functions.