Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 19:34

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
but you were taking 100000iu a week averaging 14285iu/daily.

As D2 is about a third less efficient as D3 you would have had the same effect with about 10,000iu of D3/d or one of these ever 5 days.

The point is that using D2 is a way of Big pharma ripping off medical insurance companies In my view health professionals should always put the best interests of patients and not big pharma first.

The amount of Vitamin D in CLO is too little to make a significant impact on Vitamin D status. For the active hormone to operate at maximum velocity it each circulating 25(OH)D molecule has to have a available a back up Vitamin D3 molecule. As we only start to store D3 above 100nmol/l 40ng and stores are only significant over 125nmol/l 50ng/ml any level below that is less than ideal. each 1000iu/daily of D3 raises status 10ng or 25nmol/l. A circulating 25(OH)D status therefore requires a daily intake of around 5000iu to be maintained. If you can't account for your daily 5000iu then you are probably Vitamin D3 insufficient.

I have been tested again and am not D3 deficient. My levels are constantly monitored and I feel much better. It worked for me and I have suffered no ill effects.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 11:22

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Update...

just thought I'd chime in with an update on this.

So, the Vit D makes me feel great. Not sure if it's actually upping the lab stats, but most of my body aches are completely gone. I feel more alive and vital than I have in a long time. Feel no signs of SAD either right now either and haven't all winter this year.

BTW, my original labs (that was in the 50's) was done by Quest during that time period where they say they had a lot of false high readings. So, it's possible mine was never in the normal range after all.

I get my labs done again at the six month mark and will let you know what they read...if this improvement shows in the numbers.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 12:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can always sign up for the study and get yours tested every 6 months for $30.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
I have been tested again and am not D3 deficient. My levels are constantly monitored and I feel much better. It worked for me and I have suffered no ill effects.
But have you not understood there is a difference between being deficient and being insufficient and being optimal?

It like being in debt, actually covering your day to day expenses, or having money to spare in the bank.

For your vitamin d hormone system to work properly you need spare d3 in the bank.

Your body only stores D3 above 40ng 100nmol/l.
You can only have reasonable amounts of assets in your vitamin d savings account when your 25(OH)D is over 125nmol/l 50ng.

You may be happy not being deficient, lots of people are happy when they clear their credit card debts, but they will be even happier when they have a solid measurable amount of savings in their savings account so that any emergency has the funds available to deal with it instantly and effectively.

Until your bodies D3 reserves have been established you remain as vulnerable as the person with no instant access savings available.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 18:21

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Emulsion Brand of D3....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
But have you not understood there is a difference between being deficient and being insufficient and being optimal?

It like being in debt, actually covering your day to day expenses, or having money to spare in the bank.

For your vitamin d hormone system to work properly you need spare d3 in the bank.

Your body only stores D3 above 40ng 100nmol/l.
You can only have reasonable amounts of assets in your vitamin d savings account when your 25(OH)D is over 125nmol/l 50ng.

You may be happy not being deficient, lots of people are happy when they clear their credit card debts, but they will be even happier when they have a solid measurable amount of savings in their savings account so that any emergency has the funds available to deal with it instantly and effectively.

Until your bodies D3 reserves have been established you remain as vulnerable as the person with no instant access savings available.

Hutchinson what is the emulsion brand that you are referred Amand to. I will finish my 50,000 ius once a week this month and would like for them to continue it for one more round, D3, but if they don't I want to find a good brand that does its job! My D3 level was 20 and I had been taking 5000 IU of D3 for about 4 months, prior to that had been taking 1000 IU of D2 for years so obviously that wasn't working. I have major depression and it is much, much worse in the winter. I am hoping that the D3 continues to help with the fog and energy, along with bioidentical hormones, of course!

Thanks in advance!

TJ
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 03:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hutchinson what is the emulsion brand that you are referred Amand to.
Bio D Mulsion Forte™ (Vitamin D3) - 1fl.oz (30ml) - BioTics Research
I haven't used it myself but several people have followed the link and say they are very pleased with it.

for other readers Source of 50,000iu cholecalciferol D3 if you take one of these every week it works out around 7000iu/daily.
One every 10 days = 5000iu/d.

the nearer you get to 10,000iu/daily the more important it becomes to check your 25(OH)D regularly. Dr Davis finds at latitude 43 his average female patient used 5000iu/d and men 6000iu/d to reach 60ng/mL 150nmol/l.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Apr-14-09 at 03:53.