Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:30

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%

Omigod! I made the radish version this morning (in fact, I'm eating as I type) - these are incredible!! Of all the carbs out there, potatoes are by far my favorite. I could live off them for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. I didn't think there was any way possible to make anything taste as good as a potato. I was wrong! These are unbelievable!! YUMMM!! The only thing I'll change next time is to let the radishes start to soften a bit before I add the onion. It seems to take them longer to cook. I may even parboil them before I dice them. Either way, whoever came up with this recipe deserves a medal!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 22:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDad
....I've got a question about the turnips though and wonder if, since they're a radish cousin, if this may apply. Any time I've ever eaten turnips, they have given me very nasty stomach cramps (which is a shame because I really do like them). Has anyone else ever had this issue, and what's the chance the radishes will too??
Hi! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner .. but hopefully you've had your question answered about the radishes. When radishes are cooked, they lose their "bite" and I think they're less gassy than turnips because they're less carby.

Anyway, glad you liked these and now it's reminding me I haven't had 'em in a while

Doreen
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 12:17

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

just finished reading this thread from the beginning to end and copied and pasted all the recipes to my LC recipe file--thanks to everyone for all the great ideas, going to start trying them starting this weekend
jes
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 13:18

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Default A little off the subject

OK, I took the radish hash brown thing to a new level. My family loves pot roast...potatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions, potatoes, gravy, potatoes...did I mention potatoes?? Well, I made a pot roast in my crock pot. Normally I would flour the roast and brown it in oil, then add all the other ingredients. Instead, I put the beef in raw, added a few potatoes for the non-LCers in the family, carrots, onions, garlic, canned beef broth and a lb of radishes! WOW! The radishes were better than the potatoes have ever been!! Prep was a little tedious because I peeled the radishes so as to not have pink gravy! But it was well worth it. Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDad
Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?

Expert Food's Thickener works really well in pot roast. I just add a teaspoon or so at the beginning and that's usually all I need to thicken the gravy. You can also add more at the end if it is not thick enough. HTH