Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 10:03

Plan: CKD (Modified)
Stats: 27%/22%/15% Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Red face Stall-4 &1/2 month.. help me get out of this, please.....anything would be great!!!!!

I have been in a very long stall, wrote to Atkins Center for help (no reply yet) and am just frustrated. Tried many things before, but nothing works. Could someone please inform me more about calories consumed and starvation mode. I just can’t get this starvation mode into my head. Someone with more wisdom, please help.

This is the one of the options I have considered but have not tried yet: lowering my caloric intake to 1100 or 1200. I have been told that if I do so I will enter a starvation mode and mess up my metabolism badly.
Does anyone know when your body enters starvation mode? Is it at 1000 calories or is it very different for everyone. What about the rule of eating 10-12 x your weight, how does that apply to a very small framed and short people? Please someone help me!
I am very short and look terrible at even a weight that is low for most people. I am extremely small framed and need to be around 105 lb to look fit. I do not look very thin at 100lb, but 105 will do. I have been around 100-105 most of my life so it is not impossible and my body is very comfortable at that weight. It actually does not matter to me how much I weigh as long as I fit in the same jeans and pants from before, but from the past experience I know that is around the weight I need to be to fit in those clothing.
If anyone else is in the same place or has any suggestions or information, please post.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi, that's hard, a long stall is difficult to keep your motivation going! Well done for not giving in

The thing about 'starvation mode' is different for everyone. What our bodies use on a day to day basis varies depending on our lean body mass, our gender, our activity, our basal metabolic rate etc. etc. 'Starvation mode' is supplying considerably less than your daily calorie needs, so that your body goes into 'hard times ahead, hang onto as many stores as possible' mode and lowers your metabolic rate - exactly what we don't want!

You don't post any ideas about what you eat - if you could put a few days' menus down, people could look and see if there's anything there that may be a known staller and/or ways to adjust what you're doing.

For me, for example, giving up dairy products and wine got my weight moving again, as did adding in weight lifting as well as cardio. For other people, dairy isn't an issue but nuts maybe - I'm ok with those.

You don't say what exercise you do either - that might also be something to mention, so that folk can have a think about that for you too.

Take care, keep going and let us know a bit more about you so we can help a bit more specifically.
Jay
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello 222*2 I wonder if you are Canadian since you can't get 222's in the US.

I think that we really need more information before anyone can help you. Would you please go to your profile and edit it to show your start weight, present weight and goal weight.. And also tell us in a post how long you have been on a diet or weight loss way of eating, how tall you are and your age. All of these have a big effect on what weight is good for you.

It is normal, usual, ordinary to lose some when you begin LCing and then to sort of sit still for a week - or weeks or month or months before your body decides to lose some more pounds. All sorts of adjustments go on: muscle builds while fat disappears which equals no change on the scales but different body shapes and composition. This IS progress even though the scale doesn't move.

"Starvation mode" is when you are taking in so few calories that your body gets worried that you are in danger of starving or that there is a food shortage. So it won't let go of any of your assets - a way to store food for the shortage. Strangely enough, one of the best ways to start losing again is to eat more FAT. Bacon, eggs, meat, cheese, butter, mayo, oil which will convince your body that there is LOTS of food, so it can safely allow some fat to disappear.

Tell us how much you weigh now and what way of eating you are following, so we could give much better advice.

We'd really like to help - please tell us more, so we know where you are at and where you want to go, and what you are currently trying.

Sometimes, it is a matter of exercise and toning, not dieting or fat loss that is needed to recompose one's body. I once knew a famous opera singer who said that she felt best at 98 pounds. But she couldn't sing at that weight. She had to exercise & eat & go up to 115 pounds to be able to live well and perform. At 98 pounds, when she liked how she looked, she was always sick. So she had to relearn what was a healthy weight for her.

I hope that you will give us more information so we can help.

Last edited by tofi : Thu, Dec-05-02 at 15:56.