Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 20:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Heavy cream without stabilizer?

In my "old days" of low carbing a few years ago I certainly don't remember heavy cream having 12 carbs per cup due to the addition of "stabilizer" containing sugar! Does anyone know of a brand available that doesn't have this added? I'm in BC.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 12:08

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc4good
In my "old days" of low carbing a few years ago I certainly don't remember heavy cream having 12 carbs per cup due to the addition of "stabilizer" containing sugar! Does anyone know of a brand available that doesn't have this added? I'm in BC.

Hey lc4good...fellow BC'er here!

It's so hard to find unadulterated dairy here...from sour cream/yogurt, heavy cream...all full of thickeners/stabilizers, corn starch, 'skim milk powder...sheesh!!

I don't know where you're located but I'm in the Cariboo region and there is a dairy out of Kamloops that makes the closest to 'real' dairy that I've found. I can buy it from our little store in Bridge Lake but not sure how far they distribute. Their web page is here...
http://www.blackwelldairy.com/splash.html

Blackwell is the company and it's the only sour cream/cottage cheese I can eat (corn allergies and they don't use it for a thickener). I also use the half & half and the whipping cream (don't have any in the fridge right now but I think there might be some carageenan (it's SUPER thick!) added) If I remember correctly, it's .5 g carb/tbsp...my math sucks but would that not make it about 8.5g per cup?? (The 1/2 & 1/2 is .7g/tbsp)

In any case, this brand is the closest to 'pure' I've found...those across the border seem to have a much easier time finding dairy products with no added crap.

If you find another source...I'm all ears!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 12:48

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Also from BC. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even know about the stabilizers, and will start reading the labels a bit more closely from now on.
We can buy dairy products from Avalon dairy here but the cost is much higher than the standard "big box" dairy products.
I'm going to be looking for more sources and I'll post them as well.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 13:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermac
Also from BC. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even know about the stabilizers, and will start reading the labels a bit more closely from now on.
We can buy dairy products from Avalon dairy here but the cost is much higher than the standard "big box" dairy products.
I'm going to be looking for more sources and I'll post them as well.

Hey chermac!
Sunshine Coast, huh! My Bro and his wife are in Gibsons and run a fab doggie daycare there. Gotta' love this whole internet thing, eh!

From what I've read Avalon dairy is good quality...can't get it up here, sadly...

Interesting to note that it's the oldest, continuously operating dairy in BC...started by a Newfie!! Wonder if my rellies on The Rock are aware of this factoid...lol..."g'way by!"

Please keep us posted on any dairy info you might uncover!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 07:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Deezil, I checked out the Avalon dairy and the HWC is $3.29 for a small bottle - well out of my price range sadly.
I used to take my Jack Russell to a fantastic doggie daycare here in Gibsons, took her there for a couple of years. I wonder if it's the same place? No Pawblems?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 14:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I've been buying Walmart Great Value HWC it says
Total Carbs 0%

and the ingredients are
Heavy Cream contains less than 1% of each of the following:
Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan.

This is the only one I've found that says Zero carbs. How does less than 1% get counted for carbs? That is not per serving I don't think, since it's in the ingredients list.

I'm not in Canada but I'm still interested in the Carrageenan.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 14:41
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayekaye12
I've been buying Walmart Great Value HWC it says
Total Carbs 0%

and the ingredients are
Heavy Cream contains less than 1% of each of the following:
Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan.

This is the only one I've found that says Zero carbs. How does less than 1% get counted for carbs? That is not per serving I don't think, since it's in the ingredients list.

A label may say 0, but that doesn't necessarily mean 0. If a serving contains less than 0.5 grams of a particular nutrient, the label is allowed to read 0 grams per serving. But, those 0.49 grams per serving can really add up, especially when the serving size is small (as in the case of cream.) The ingredients on the Walmart brand indeed include stabilizers and thickeners. Cream should be...well...cream.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 08:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermac
Deezil, I checked out the Avalon dairy and the HWC is $3.29 for a small bottle - well out of my price range sadly.
I used to take my Jack Russell to a fantastic doggie daycare here in Gibsons, took her there for a couple of years. I wonder if it's the same place? No Pawblems?

Can't get Avalon up here but the prices for Blackwells dairy are higher than Dairyland, etc.. but not as high as that! Sheesh!

Bought some Blackwells HWC and the ingredients are cream and carageenan...you could stand a spoon up in it! It's .4g carb/tbsp.

"Pawsitive Adventures" is the place...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 09:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks Labhrain. The health food store here doesn't even have whc without carbs. I can't find it. Wish my grandma was still on the farm, we had the best cream then, made our own butter and threw out the skim milk to the cattle.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 14:02

Stats: 283/269/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Island Farms

Island Farms whipping cream is just cream, no stabilizers. I'm in Vancouver, and it's readily available around here (Famous Foods, Choices, etc).

http://www.islandfarms.com/milk-and-cream.php

Nicki
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 14:06

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayekaye12
The health food store here doesn't even have whc without carbs. I can't find it. Wish my grandma was still on the farm, we had the best cream then, made our own butter and threw out the skim milk to the cattle.

I think Labhrain's point was that all Heavy Whipping Cream has some carbs, whether the label declares them or not. Manufacturers are allowed to round down to zero if each serving (in this case, 1 T. ) contains <.5 grams of carb. According to the USDA, each T. has .42 grams of carbohydrate. That's the number I record.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 18:46

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedre
Island Farms whipping cream is just cream, no stabilizers. I'm in Vancouver, and it's readily available around here (Famous Foods, Choices, etc).

http://www.islandfarms.com/milk-and-cream.php

Nicki

Island farms is the brand I bought and it does have stabilizers.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-12, 07:49

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Back to the original question...how do you know the carbs are from stabilizers and not from naturally occurring sugars? Also, out of curiosity, how much heavy cream do you consume each day that it makes a huge difference in your carb counts?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-12, 09:58

Stats: 283/269/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Sorry, I meant Valley Pride. The ingredients on Valley Pride just says "cream" That's it.

..and now that I look it up, it turns out Valley Pride falls under the umbrella of Avalon Dairy (I guess Valley Pride is their milk in cartons, whereas the Avalon label is always in glass bottles).

Nicki
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-12, 13:07

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

I am from BC too... Fraser Valley and I didn't know about stabilizers either... but I do buy Avalon products