Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 09:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Lactoferrin for weight loss

I get different brands of whey protein shakes. I drink one a day, between meals are as a small meal substitute. I get different brands from my local "health food store", often by what is on sale. I noticed some make me lose weight, others do not.

Being curious, I read and logged the "nutrition facts" and ingredients on the labels and after more than a year I guessed that the weight losing ingredient was Lactoferrin

Over the last month I gained 6 pounds. The only thing different I was drinking a shake without lactoferrin and when I finished that (I don't waste food) I got another brand with lactoferrin and in 8 days, without changing anything else in my diet I lost all 6 pounds.

So after a few different brands, reviewing my logs, and suspecting the only difference was the lactoferrin, I did some searching and found this (published in 2014):

Weight Loss Benefits of Lactoferrin

Quote:
Lactoferrin is well known for its immune-supportive properties.1-3 Surprising new research is uncovering an unexpected benefit—that lactoferrin might help humans shed body fat as well.

Lactoferrin’s ability to reduce body fat was first discovered at the cellular level. In these studies, researchers found that lactoferrin can help fight against obesity by inhibiting the accumulation of fat in fat cells and by inhibiting the formation of new fat cells (a process called adipogenesis ).

<...snip...>

Another study in mice found that a lactoferrin-rich whey protein isolate prevents obesity by inhibiting weight gain, and fights obesity by enhancing fat loss.

<...>

New research is showing that lactoferrin might help humans shed body fat as well. One indicator is that higher blood levels of lactoferrin are associated with lower BMI (body mass index, an indicator of obesity), lower waist-to-hip ratio, and lower fasting triglyceride (blood fat) and glucose concentrations.1

<...>

A number of studies confirm this finding as well. In one notable study, healthy men and women between 22 and 60 years old supplemented with 300 mg of lactoferrin tablets a day for 8 weeks. Subjects were told to maintain their regular food habits. Compared to the placebo group, the group taking the lactoferrin supplement experienced a significant 12.3% reduction in intra-abdominal (visceral) fat. The lactoferrin group also showed significant decreases in body weight (-3.3 lb), BMI (-0.6), hip circumference (-1 inch), and waist circumference (-1.7 inches). The placebo group, on the other hand, gained 2.2 pounds.

<...>

The article goes on and on, click the link to read the entire article and read the references.

So I went out and bought a bottle of 300mg lactoferrin capsules from Life Extension company, and I can choose the whey shake that provides the best flavor and not worry about the lactoferrin. It's not easy to find brands with that on the label, and they are not always the best tasting ones.

My goal weight has always been 185 pounds, but since I started drinking the whey protein, I drifted down to 179-180 for the first time in decades. With the last shake I went from 180 to 186. Adding the lactoferrin back took those 6 pounds off in 9 days and I'm back to 180, hoping to be 179 tomorrow.

Of course it's a milk problem, so people with sensitivities might want to avoid it, and of course, if you try it, you are on your own (I'm not qualified to give medical advice).

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 10:09

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Great reference, Bob!
I will definitely look this up.
Anything is worth a try.
I am having my first shake with egg white protein powder and the taste is definitely yuk.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 12:02

BF:

Bob
I Could Not Find It In Any Local Stores, But Found It On Amazon
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 09:48

BF:

I had to get it on-line too.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 15:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for sharing , Bob. I need all hands on deck right now.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 19:34

BF:

Please post if it works for you or not.

We can do our on un-scientific experiment.

Daily I eat a light breakfast (18 raw almonds, a cup of green tea, and a cup of black tea with heavy whipping cream) and then mid-morning I do a whey shake with no other food. That tides me over until lunch which is my big meal of the day. 5-ish I'll have a small snack and again 10-ish. This has been my daily routine for years.

I was at my target weight of 185 for as long as I can remember, definitely over a decade, I might drift a pound or two at the most in either direction. I know bacon will make me hold water but it'll be gone in 2 days.

Then I actually added the shakes. I went down to 179 and even 178 once. Some brands took that away and brought me back to 185-ish. That got me curious and the lactoferrin content on the labels is the only thing that seemed different. Grass-fed shakes seem to be the ones with the most lactoferrin.

In checking out my hypothesis about lactoferrin for weight loss, I ran across the article I linked in my initial post. Bonus, the article also says it's good for your immune system, and with all the new bugs that appear from time to time, that's a good thing.

I bought some capsules, and I'll try it with both shakes that don't list lactoferrin and see if the capsules make a difference. If they do, I can continue buying whatever is on sale and whatever flavor I want.

One thing I prefer is stevia as the sweetener. If not I can get unsweetened and put my own stevia in.

It's not often that adding something to your diet can make you lose weight

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 07:39

BF:

Bob
Has your lactoferrin arrived yet
I am expecting mine today
Let me know how it works for yoou