Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/152/132 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Is there another food for a vegetarian I which has as low carb content as eggs?

I am a vegetarian and et no meat or fish.
Please tell me of another food that a vegetarian ( during induction) can eat besides eggs, which has as low carb content as eggs.

Thanks.

Last edited by deepti : Thu, Mar-03-05 at 11:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

Tofu .....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjunky
Tofu .....

Oh! Yeah! You are correct.
How many carbs does it have? Any idea? How do you compare the two (tofu and eggs) in respect of carbs?
I don't really like Tofu. But, if it has carbs as low as eggs, then I don't mind switching over. I am fed up of eggs and although I am not a fan of Tofu, I think it will be a good change from eggs.

Thanks a ton!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 11:02

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

If you are not on Induction, beans are a great high protein food!! Just avoid things like baked or refried beans (unless you make your own w/o sugar). Black soy beans are especially great! (check out my web site, link in siggy, for a great black soy bean and corn soup and refried black soy beans). Kidney beans, red beans, black beans, garbonzo beans and all the others are great too!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC-Laur
If you are not on Induction, beans are a great high protein food!! Just avoid things like baked or refried beans (unless you make your own w/o sugar). Black soy beans are especially great! (check out my web site, link in siggy, for a great black soy bean and corn soup and refried black soy beans). Kidney beans, red beans, black beans, garbonzo beans and all the others are great too!

Thanks for you reply, but I am on Induction.
Sorry I should have mentioned.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 11:40

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

start reading the labels for the boca, morningstar, gardenburger, yves, etc. products...you'd be amazed how many of them are induction-safe. yves actually has a line under the "carb fit" brand, and their "chicken" burgers are amazing. 3 grams of carbs

you can even get the nutritional information online. subtract the fiber under carbohydrates, and most burgers range from 1-5 carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 11:54

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

not as good as eggs but cucumbers are very low in carbs like 2 per cup I eat lots of them with a little dressing if it gets old.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 12:23

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Raw snowpea's are low in carbs and yummy for a snack. Fitday says for a half cup of whole snowpeas it is 13 calories and 2 carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 12:23

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

In Canada (not sure about anywhere else) we have a brand of vegetarian products called Zoglo's. There are usually with the hors d'ouvres in the Loblaws I shop at. The veggie meat loaves are my fav!!! They have around 3 carbs for two of them. I put a dallop of mayo and salsa on them...they're terrific....and only 120 calories too. They also have a "chicken cutlet" that appears to be breaded but its not. They are also around the same carbs/cals. Try them out if your grocery store has them. They're great!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 17:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

For some reason, avocadoes have always reminded me of hard boiled eggs. I think that they would make a great substitute in egg salad.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 18:10

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Boca Burgers...the flame-grilled ones...are only ONE carb each.

Also...and I never see this mentioned ANYwhere....Loma Linda has VegeBurger (crumbles), Linkettes, and Big Franks....(they've had them as long as I can remember.....) and you don't even have to count them because the label lists either one or two carbs per serving....and it's ALL FIBER.....check it out.

All Loma Linda and Worthington products are vegetarian....and all are in CANS...not fresh or frozen sections of the supermarket.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 06:49
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I eat Morningstar Farms sausage patties and breakfast links.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 11:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Be careful of the ingredients of the "processed" (mock-meat) items. If you are in Induction - make sure they do not have wheat products.

There's another new one from Schneider's - Meatless Beef Tips. I believe all the ingredients are Induction friendly, and they are not bad taste-wise (I am in pre-maint, so I am less restricted on ingredients). Check out the Schneider's website for more info. Don't go for the breaded "chicken nuggets", though. I'm pretty sure they contain wheat products.

Check also the Yves products. I used to love the Burger Burgers, even when I didn't do Atkins, or eat strictly vegetarian. I just liked them for a change. They also have a mock ground meat, and a whole lot of other things.

I remember an egg tofu I used to get in tubes in the Superstore in Victoria - sliced and fried for breakfast. It was great.