Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 08:41

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default 2 days

I am new here and just learning about the Primal Blueprint.

My dh and I started 2 days ago. I haven't even finished the book yet, but just quit the wheat products cold turkey(big time doughnut and bakery junkie).

I have no bloat after only 2 days!! And I had terrible bloat and aching guts that really got worse in the last few months.

I do carry an extra 30lbs at the moment, but the aching guts and belly that looked almost pregnant are gone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 09:32

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Congratulations. That's great!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Great job!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 13:18

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Congratulations! The Primal Blueprint is a great diet that will surely improve your health. That was just the beginning.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 15:17

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacontooth
I am new here and just learning about the Primal Blueprint.

My dh and I started 2 days ago. I haven't even finished the book yet, but just quit the wheat products cold turkey(big time doughnut and bakery junkie).

I have no bloat after only 2 days!! And I had terrible bloat and aching guts that really got worse in the last few months.

I do carry an extra 30lbs at the moment, but the aching guts and belly that looked almost pregnant are gone!

Sounds like you may have become wheat-sensitive. Your body will be very happy if you stay away from it. With me, it affects my gums - or at least that is the part of me that notices the effects of wheat. Anyway, recently, I started eating more wheat products again and, hey presto, I noticed that I was having occasional bleeding when brushing my teeth. I've gone back off it and - no more bleeding!!!

It makes me wonder: if this is the effect that eating wheat - or not eating it - has on my gums, what has it been doing to my insides???

Staying away from wheat is tough, but with practice it gets easier!!!

I now have much more interesting breakfasts since giving up bread - I used to have the same dang thing every dang morning for decades!!! Now I have a much wider choice and the foods I eat satisfy me much better, too. No more of that "I am going to die if I don't eat something by 11am" feeling.

This is a GREAT way of eating - although I'm not as strict as the Primal Blueprint version of the LC WOE - and I'm sure you're embarking on an exciting and revealing adventure!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 15:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Sounds like you may have become wheat-sensitive. Your body will be very happy if you stay away from it. With me, it affects my gums - or at least that is the part of me that notices the effects of wheat. Anyway, recently, I started eating more wheat products again and, hey presto, I noticed that I was having occasional bleeding when brushing my teeth. I've gone back off it and - no more bleeding!!!

It makes me wonder: if this is the effect that eating wheat - or not eating it - has on my gums, what has it been doing to my insides???

Staying away from wheat is tough, but with practice it gets easier!!!

I now have much more interesting breakfasts since giving up bread - I used to have the same dang thing every dang morning for decades!!! Now I have a much wider choice and the foods I eat satisfy me much better, too. No more of that "I am going to die if I don't eat something by 11am" feeling.

This is a GREAT way of eating - although I'm not as strict as the Primal Blueprint version of the LC WOE - and I'm sure you're embarking on an exciting and revealing adventure!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

amanda

Interesting about the gums! It never occurred to me that wheat could affect that, but why not?

I may have always had an intolerance. Thinking back over the years, it does seem possible, though it has definitely gotten worse lately.

I grew up in a house where toast was a food group, plus I crave baked goods. Lots of people do, but couldn't that craving signal a type of addiction.

Thanks for the replies!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 15:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I love your username... Bacontooth.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 04:40

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacontooth
Interesting about the gums! It never occurred to me that wheat could affect that, but why not?

I may have always had an intolerance. Thinking back over the years, it does seem possible, though it has definitely gotten worse lately.

I grew up in a house where toast was a food group, plus I crave baked goods. Lots of people do, but couldn't that craving signal a type of addiction.
Thanks for the replies!

Hi bacontooth,

On the bolded bit above:

yes, indeed, it does seem that many of us are attracted to the very foods that are worst for us. There is a biochemical reason for it, too, I do believe, but I couldn't say right now what it is.

amanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 07:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I love your username... Bacontooth.

thanks, seem to replacing my sweet tooth with a bacon tooth.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 07:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi bacontooth,

On the bolded bit above:

yes, indeed, it does seem that many of us are attracted to the very foods that are worst for us. There is a biochemical reason for it, too, I do believe, but I couldn't say right now what it is.

amanda

I agree, though I don't the science either!!! People have told me (probably to justify their own cravings) that we crave what we need.

Do we need massive doses of sugar and wheat daily?? Doubt it!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 09:22

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Food Cravings

Welcome Bacontooth

IMO the reason that people crave foods is that their whole system is out of whack. Once you get off the processed foods, grains, sugar & dairy & eat a wonderful diet of real food, amazingly your food cravings just go away.

The only thing is that once the cravings go away it makes it harder to decide what to eat!!!!

I probably eat more fruits & veggies than most people on this board but in the past few years I have doubled my meat intake & make sure that I have meat with each meal and add in the fruits & veggies. It used to be the other way around & I would just add in a little meat or skip it altogether.

One important thing that works for me is that I quit trying to eat breakfast. I do not eat each day until 11:00a.m & then I have lunch. I might have an afternoon snack & then I have dinner as soon as I can after work, around 6:00p.m. or 7:00p.m at the latest. If I am really late, I just skip dinner & have an apple to tide me over, well if I have bacon I will have some bacon or leftover cold meat with the apple. As long as I have a lot of meat at 11:00a.m. I am fine for the day & really do not get very hungry.
jeanne
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 10:51
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Here's something that might help explain the food reaction/addiction response:

Quote:
As you probably remember, when you eat reactive foods, they enter your system as macromolecules that your body doesn't recognize. This triggers the inflammatory response, which causes water to rush into afflicted cells and be held in tissues, which results in swelling and bloating. As this rescue mechanism takes place, your body, thinking that it's under attack from a foreign invader, goes into a condition of distress.
In response to the distress triggered by food reactions, you begin to pump out your own natural opiates, called endorphins, which are almost always secreted in response to trauma. When these opiates hit your system, they give you a feeling of relief. You feel physically and mentally fulfilled. If the distress is significant and causes abundant release of endorphins, you even feel and opiate "high."
Soon, though, this endorphin high wears off and leaves you with a depleted supply of endorphins. When this happens, your natural instinct is to eat the same food that produced the pleasurable feelings in the first place. After years of gaining pleasure from this food, you probably have a strong association between this food and feeling good.

This endorphin fluctuation alone can make you feel virtually addicted to certain foods. But this is only the beginning of the process of allergic addiction. It gets worse.

As you crash from your opiate high, other chemical reactions that occur that are equally disastrous. These other chemical reactions strongly reinforce your powerful desire to again eat your false fat food - as fast as possible. When these reactions begin, only an iron will can stop you from eating.

One of the most disruptive of these other chemical reactions is the release of adrenal hormones. You may remember that when your body is under allergic assault, it counters effects if this assult with adrenal hormones, such as adrenaline, norepinephrine, and cortisol. When these stimulating hormones first hit your bloodstream, you feel good. They boost your energy and mood. ...

As these adrenal hormones course through your system, your heart beats faster. In fact, one of the tests for food reactions is to take your pulse after you eat. If it's elevated, it means that you probably ate a reactive food. Unfortunately, though, your adrenaline rush fades as fast as your endorphin high. When it's gone, you drop into a slump of fatigue, irritability and mental lethargy. This makes you want to eat more of your false fat foods, but when you do eat more, you tend to have an even stronger reaction to them, because you no longer have enough adrenal hormones to protect you from your food reactions. ~ Elson M. Haas, in his book, "The False Fat Diet"

That last bit - about how there aren't enough adrenal hormones to protect us might provide some clue/insight into why we managed along just fine eating wheat, and that somehow it got worse over time.

I don't remember having issues with wheat either, that didn't really show up until just the last few years. That said, I do think it's been going on in the background all along.

Ok - enough of my rambling. Welcome and definitely looking forward to hearing about your experiences with Primal Blueprint
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 13:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
Welcome Bacontooth

IMO the reason that people crave foods is that their whole system is out of whack. Once you get off the processed foods, grains, sugar & dairy & eat a wonderful diet of real food, amazingly your food cravings just go away.

The only thing is that once the cravings go away it makes it harder to decide what to eat!!!!

I probably eat more fruits & veggies than most people on this board but in the past few years I have doubled my meat intake & make sure that I have meat with each meal and add in the fruits & veggies. It used to be the other way around & I would just add in a little meat or skip it altogether.

One important thing that works for me is that I quit trying to eat breakfast. I do not eat each day until 11:00a.m & then I have lunch. I might have an afternoon snack & then I have dinner as soon as I can after work, around 6:00p.m. or 7:00p.m at the latest. If I am really late, I just skip dinner & have an apple to tide me over, well if I have bacon I will have some bacon or leftover cold meat with the apple. As long as I have a lot of meat at 11:00a.m. I am fine for the day & really do not get very hungry.
jeanne

I hope I get to where you are. Have you been eating this way for very long?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-15-10, 13:51

BF:

Citruskiss Wow interesting read and it does make a lot of sense. Also jibes with my experience of literally feeling high(ish) after eating certain foods.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-10, 09:34

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bacontooth, yes I have been dealing with "food allergies" most of my life. I found out about gluten 6 years ago & immediately went gluten free. It was no big deal for me since I had been mostly grain free for 10 years before that. I have been allergic to barley & oats since I was 25. I could never buy anything like bread because of the severe barley reaction. I was an excellent baker of all things with wheat. Then I thought I had a wheat allergy 16 years ago so I mostly gave up wheat except when I baked for the family at holidays etc. Enough to keep me still reacting but then I would go back to my regular diet and get better again.

Now at 63 I am disgustingly healthy & no longer take high blood pressure meds & no UTI's and antibiotics etc. I actually take no meds, I go to the gym & work full time with about a 2 hour commute each day. I am an excellent GF baker and everyone raves over my goodies - even the gluten eaters gobble it up!! But I cannot tolerate any grains. Makes me sick every time I sample something I make. & I would never eat any bought processed GF product.

I do not use any artificial sugar or agave & believe that all that stuff is poison in a cute package. No soy, no grains, no dairy. I veer off the standard Paleo to have the occasional pinto beans, and sweet potatoes. I have given up rice & corn tortillas, I might have them occasionally if I eat out. Here in Houston there is a lot of TexMex. I only drink bottled water & occasionally in the summer etc I might have 100% Welch's grape juice diluted with water. No tea, coffee or colas for me. I am allergic to white potatoes and gave up peppers since it was in the nightshade family. I am blood type AB+ & seem to tolerate tomatoes well, so I eat those on my salad. I find that a chopped fresh apricot is a great addition to a salad if you are not having tomatoes on it. My worst Paleo sin is See's chocolates!

I gave up lettuce & use Kale instead. I love cabbage, broccoli, & carrots. I do not eat spinach or beets! I have a herb garden & believe that fresh herbs & spices are good for us.

I have found that eating healthy is a process that you can refine as you go along. I certainly eat healthier, better & tastier now than I did 6 years ago.
jeanne